“Bright colors and a lot of noise”
Review of Green Tulip House

Green Tulip House
Tampere, Finland
“Bright colors and a lot of noise”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Pros:
- everything is new and works perfectly (aircon, shower, wifi)
- bright, colorful rooms and halls, spacious
- nice common area
- very friendly owners, special mentions to the ladies of the hostel for being so nice to me with my medical issues
- very comfy bed and good pillows
- desk in the room was great
- rooftop will be fabulous place to spend time if they put some more furniture up there
- very good tour information and booking service

Cons:
- They close the common area and the front door before ten p.m. so if you come in after that you need to ring a doorbell and wake one the owners to get in. That's fine if that's how they want it but you also end up waking up half the hostel since the doorbell rings in all the hallways and it sometimes takes quite a few calls before the owner wakes up. Annoyied and kept us up on several occasions. Please, please invest on a numberlock system or something!
- It was also fairly noise on other occasions as well, the wall are thin as paper and you can practially here everything from the halls and neighbouring rooms. And the rooster next door wants you to get up at four a.m.
- The music in the common area was almost always too loud
- The free breakfast in nothing special, would've been nicer to have just unlimited free tea and coffee than a cup of tea and two slices of paper toast
- Restaurant is not good, eat somewhere else
- Location is not ideal, nothing is close by but fortunately it is easy to catch a shared taxi

Stay if you appreciate cleaniness and newness over character and don't if you want to actually sleep during the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Konstanz, Germany
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I can almost say only good things about this accomodation.

First night we choose a private room with two seperate beds, which was really good. Everything worked. A little down is, that even then you don't have a fridge.

For the rest we choose the 6-dorm room for men. Nice beds, and everybody has a safe-like deposit box under his bed. A down was in the dorm that the architect must have only thought about tiny Asian people. Every other person on the world had to figure out a good was to sit on the toilet. It was just not long enough for sitting. You had to arrange yourself with the door directly in front of you.

Another down was that when you went partying, sometimes the door bell for the hostel didn't work. So once I waited for almost hald an hour til after the 100' clicking on the doorbell worked. A keycard system would really make things easier here.

But over all. A 6-dorm room for 150 baht a night is cheap and the hospitality was amazing. And the breakfast is good as well. Tip: Order just a toast with jam and your favorite drink and you get it for a better price than the whole menu.

The last down we're the hens which wake you up around 7 am if you have a light sleep or havn't got to sleep yet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Green Tulip House is the best hostel I've stayed in so far in Thailand. The owners and staff members are really friendly and try to help you as much as possible. I booked several trips and it was worth it to do it! The facilities are good and bathroom in the dorm was always clean. Might come back at the end of my trip in South East Asia, because I really liked both Chiang Mai and this hostel!

• Stayed December 2012
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I arrived at this place at 10 pm after a mad dangerous minivan trip from Chiangkong (an hour late), and was given an over-the-top greeting by a wine drinking woman by the name of Stella. I couldn't get a coffee, as "we've cleaned our machines"; they wanted cash payment immediately, which I didn't have (I'd crossed the border that morning from Laos), and they were clearly anxious about that. I'd booked for a week.
A freshly painted and renovated hostel and therefore clean. My room was large, clean, basic, and brightly painted, as is the whole establishment, however all rooms have a mezzanine walkway passing them, with a window onto that corridor, enabling other guests to peer into your room as they pass by, unless you keep the blinds closed (cutting out the light). I was woken during the night and early morning on several occassions by other guests' voices as they returned to their rooms after a night out, or having a heated argument right outside my room.
The dining area opens onto the street and is a great open place to meet and chat with other travelers. The street itself is wide and uninteresting, compared to other streets within the old city, and on my next visit I will choose accommodation in a different part of the city, closer to the Thapae Gate which was quite a walk from the Green Tulip House.
I consider the staff to be insincere. While you're spending money on tours, there will be smiles. If not, they hardly bother. The man at reception is distant and seems only concerned with receiving money.
I was hit and injured by a motorcyclist when he knocked me down trying to steal my shoulder bag one night. I made my way back to the hostel with obvious injuries, and told the man at reception what had happened and asked for ice; he nonchalantly gave me 5 blocks. I went to the hospital the next day. Not once, in the remaining 6 days that I stayed there, did any one of the staff ask me how I was. I had to stay, as I was in no shape to move on, due to my physical condition but I wasn't a customer for their tours. All they seemed concerned about was that I paid for the room in advance.
The food is very bad, especially the bread. After eating there once, I wouldn't eat there again.
I wouldn't stay here again. After traveling 3 months around S E Asia, I considered this the most mercenary place I'd encountered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Wow! Not much more I can say. This review is long overdue but Im finally getting to it. Thanks Stella and Nine for a wonderful trip to Chiang Mai. Stayed in Chiang Mai for 10 days and I truly felt part of the family by the end. This place is the cleanest place you will find and really great food. The rooms are basic but definitely do the trick! Nine was very good at arranging tours...she gives you a great rate! Stella is a hoot...many great laughs from her. Would most definitely go back here again!!!

PS- Mike and Kaitlyn say thanks for the wonderful plane treats you sent us home with! The security guard at the airport got a good laugh out of the lipstick kiss that you placed on the outside of the package....I think she thought it was from a secret lover or something haha!

Room Tip: Not ground level
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelr4
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a great stay at The Green Tulip. The staff were really helpful and friendly and the accommodation is really good value for money. We stayed in a double room and it was like staying in a hotel rather than a hostel. The room was really nice and clean and the bathroom was great, probably the best bathroom I had in Thailand! The food was also really tasty and good portion size. We would definitely recommend the day trek/waterfall/elephant ride/whitewater rafting trip as we really enjoyed this and was excellent value.

Thank you for an amazing stay, wish we could have stayed longer!

Lauren and Jon

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mzlwoolley
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were very wary booking hostels in Thailand because to be honest be had no idea what to expect. After a lot of research we decided on Green Tulip and I am so glad we did.

For the price of peanuts we were given a beautiful room with clean linen and a fan. This place is exceptionally clean and relaxing, the bar/restaurant is open and offers fairly good prices. The two owners are so inviting and kind. They really try to get to know you and actually look sad when you leave... You can book all of your tours here (with competitive rates - we did our research) and operators will come by and pick you up at the door.

The area is safe and only a 10 minute ride from the train station. Definitely recommended!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple