“Had to check out and find a new hotel”
Review of Maninarakorn Hotel

Maninarakorn Hotel
Ranked #151 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I assume a lot of online hotel reviews are fake, but this is real. My name is Paul, I live in Atlanta, and in December 2012 my wife and I had to check out of this hotel at night and find another hotel. We found our bathroom overrun with ants, and the people at the front desk refused to waive the fee to move us to a different building (they were willing to reduce the fee but not waive it).

I consider myself a laid back guy, and when I travel I always do my best to not sweat the small stuff. When my wife pointed out some issues with our room - a very squeaky bed, stains on the walls, and the towel rack fell out of wall, so we had to put our towels on the couch - I laughed them off. But when we found the bathroom and all our toiletries crawling with ants, that was more than I could handle. Ask yourself how you'd respond if you found ants all over the bathroom, and staff were not willing to be helpful or flexible.

I would not recommend this hotel, and I will go one step further and look into reporting this hotel to whatever the relevant government oversight organization is. Hotels don't have to be luxurious, but there are basic maintenance steps that should be taken, and this hotel isn't following them.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Paul J
There are newer reviews for Maninarakorn Hotel

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I like this hotel. I've stayed here a few times, in both the wings and the main building. It's very competitive with other hotels in the price range. You get a decent location, free wifi (reached our room), and a decent breakfast. I guess you even get some free minibar items now. I think that some of the more negative reviews could have been avoided if they read the previous reviews and knew the following things:

1) it's not a 5-star hotel, so you have to temper your expectations. If you want a big pool or a luxurious bed, try the Le Meridien or whatever. Of course, you'll pay a lot more.

2) You can choose between the residences (the wings) and the main building. The rooms in the main building are smaller, but are newer (have an elevator) and more attractive and have a view. The wings are much bigger (suites, really) and a bit less expensive, but older (no elevator); and if you're above about 5'9" you will probably bonk your head going into the bathroom...expect it. Make the smart choice for your personality.

3) The location is quite acceptable but not great. You can walk to most places. Or you can take the red songtaew bus for 20 baht per person (that's the fixed price in the city, although if you ask the price they might quote you higher...so don't ask, just see if they are going where you're going). There's a free shuttle to/from the big Airport Plaza shopping mall you can pick up at the Imperial Mae Ping hotel nearby (but be warned it takes a circuitous route). There's a "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant across the street where you can get a delicious dish and a drink for $2 total.

I stay here when I want to save a little money.

Room Tip: Choose the main building if you want a nice room or if you're tall. Choose the wings/residences...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric R
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We took time to pick a hotel and did so for the reviews an by haven a pool, the pool has 4 sun beds for the whole of this hotel! The pool is so so small 4 people in would over crowd it! The pictures they show you are not the room we got and after explaining this was wrong advertising! I new there was no lifts and this was not a problem it was the height and I don't know how many times I banged my head( yes I am 6/4) but still was a nuisance. As for room was big and for the price was not bad. The bed made a notice every time I moved and had a very small tv not like the one they show you ? Bathroom was a joke very poor shower and with no shower curtain water went everywhere and made this a very wet and slippery bathroom and a very low bathroom door which again banged my head. So if you are think of this hotel I would look again for there is so many better and far cheaper than this one!!
As for WiFi it is just about impossible to get from your room unless you sit right at the window!!

Room Tip: Do not book the cheaper rooms for the service is poor and they just do not want to no and everything...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The room I got was on the wing building, upper the travel agency, not the one on the main building so I can't comment on that.

The room was very big and clean but very old. There are tv, fridge, hair dryer, water boiler and a little microwave. I felt almost like I stayed in my own apartment. The location is great, walking distance (10 mins or so) to the night bazaar and Chiangmai gate. There is also a fresh market nearby. Perfect for buying local souvenirs (not those touristry ones).

Overall I would say this hotel is very good except for one thing, it has very strict polily of no early check in. I'm not sure because it was a holiday season or what. I arrived early in the morning, very sick and tired. I just want a bed to lay down. I was sure there was one because there were many ppl checking out when we check but they wouldn't let us check in until 2pm, the official check in time. I kept asking but they always refused said there was no room available.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place is really nice, good location, super nice staff ! We stayed at the old section ( deluxe residence room) and it was very nice! For what you pay it's so worth !

The stairs did not bother us at all! I heard the new rooms are way better, but we did not care they gave us free mini bar!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for just a night, but I must say, this is a superb hotel at Chiang Mai at a competitive rate right in the middle of the city... the rooms are huge, luxurious, classy and sufficient... the staff are welcoming... I wish I would be able to stay here for a longer time during my next trip

Room Tip: Take a room in the main building and avoid the side one!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Booked for the residence tower online not knowing the hotel was seperate. The rooms looked more like hostels! Very old and dark. We payed to move to the hotel which was better but still average. Breakfast was ok- large variety although a lot of meat! Best thing about this hotel was the location, very close walk to the night bazaar. I would recommend arranging tours and day trips before arriving to this hotel as they weren't very helpful in this area.

• Stayed: December 2012