“relaxing homestay”

and 1 more site!
Ben Guest House and Restaurant
Ranked #550 of 802 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Ben Guesthouse offers homestay rooms in a good price. It is not in a city centre but within walking distance from it. I liked the fact it was a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Instead offered great culinary options around in the local market and nearby stalls. I was not sure if the restaurant was open when I was there as I was rather encouraged to eat out or bring food from the market by the owners. There are 2 bikes for free use. They are quite old though. Similarly to the hostel itself which seemed to be quite old and not maintained. Family who is running the hostel were friendly, helpful and laid back. The room could be cleaned more thoroughly but was spacious and functional. I booked a cooking class and minibus to Pai from the hostel and all went smoothly and on time. I also used laundry facility - you need to separate your clothes yourself otherwise they will wash whites with colours. Wifi worked well in both the room and the garden.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms seem to offer more privacy
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 , we were told about it from friends we met travelling Thailand and for 200baht we had a lovely double room with bathroom .

The staff are super friendly and so accommodating, they booked the bus for us to PAI and only made a tiny commission, they offer free bicycles to explore the city.

The location was great for us, even though it was not in the walled part of the city where most of the tourists stay it was within walking distance of everywhere.

It is more back packer than flash packer the rooms are basic but clean

The food down stairs in the restaurant was really good too, everything is fresh and they pop to the local market to get ingredients not every time you order but if you order something they don't have in the fridge. It's worth the extra wait though!! Really tasty noodles and pad Thai here for good prices too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonaKonaTron
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Having travelled around the world, I can honestly say this place has one of the best value for money i have seen. No, for that price you are not going to get luxury/brand new rooms, but the heart-warming service and AMAZING and cheap food completely make up for it. Rooms do the job, give you a bed and a working bathroom, which is personally, what i expect for that price. Location isn't that bad either, as we first worried. At least you get peace and quiet from the crazy tourist hell of the main backpacker area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Littlepeasoup
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff was very friendly, but that could not help the fact that everything was very old, poorly maintained,had bad smell, something like from the show "clean my house"..
On the picture it s looks ok, and I know how much you pay that"s how much you get but cleanliness is not a matter of it .. The garden is full of plants but garbage is everywhere, we could not spend even one night there.. ..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lana L
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I tend to go for mid range accommodations, but figured I would save some baht and booked this place on Agoda. I also thought it might be nice to be away from the center of town.

I was in room 14 on top floor at the back. The room was very basic, slightly shabby, and had a bit of a "run down" feeling to it. The bathroom had the typical sewer smell and the hot water in the shower worked off and on. It wasn't my cup of tea, but I suppose you get what you pay for right? Personally, I would rather pay a little more to get a room that I am happy with.

The front desk guy was friendly. The wifi usually worked, but not really in my room (probably because it was the farthest roomfrom the router).

The location was quiet (at least traffic wise), but for me was a little too far from the spots that I frequent. Sometimes being further away is a good thing, but this wasn't the case for me at this guest house.

Overall I feel this place is fine if you are happy with the location and have a fairly low standard when it comes to your room. I won't stay here again, but mosty because I prefer nicer accommodation and a more central location.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Shawn_Storm
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Hi, we stayed at Ben's Guest House for 5 nights during our stay in Chiang Mai. The rooms were spacious and airy (except for the bathrooms... they did have hot water though! It is budget accomodation but for the price I think it's excellent value. The food here was cheap and really good quality. We booked a cooking course, trek, hired a motorbike and booked a bus back to Bangkok through the guesthouse and everything went really smoothly. There was free bicycle rental and although there was only two bikes functioning at the time we were there, we still were able to use them a lot. The guest house is a bit out of town, but that can be a good thing. There was a big supermarket around the corner and 7/11 too. A nice chill out area upstairs and the the garden restaurant was also a lovely place to relax. Most of all the family that ran this guesthouse were so accommodating and pleasant. There was also a very friendly family dog!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 10,516,236
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were a couple of friends planning to stay a couple of days in Chiang Mai, and chose Ben Guesthouse. We never regretted our choice : in fact, we finally stayed one week and a half at their place, and were almost feeling like part of the "family" at the end.
They are so lovely, always trying to help and give you some advices, good places to go. Plus, their food is cheap and really good : each morning was a delight with their tasty breakfasts.
The guesthouse is also pretty well located : on a quiet place, but still a few minutes walk far from the Night Bazaar and the Old Town.
That was a great value for money, and if you're looking for something cheap and quiet, but still with very good service, just go there ! You won't regret.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends