“Great location, service .....”
Review of Top North Hotel

Top North Hotel
Ranked #308 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Located in old City area, just beside Tha Phae gate. This hotel have an awesome location. It have an outdoor swimming pool as well.Sadly, their service is real lousy. from before I made my bookings till I have left Chiang Mai, they have yet to reply me. Since they didn't reply me, I assumed there will be no airport transfer I requested (I was right, they didn't come to pick us). 1 day prior to my departure from this hotel, I requested for transport to airport. Hotel front desk asked us to come by again on the next day to remind them. when we did (come to front desk to ask for taxi transport), they chased us away by saying 'you can just go by the road side and hail a taxi'.

Room Tip: Standard rooms faces the car park and have no elevator access!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CltRoland

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed six nights in a deluxe room of the Top North Hotel. They were clean and well equipped. Breakfast and friendliness of staff was minimal, but compansated by the location along the old walls of Chiang Mai. We heard some complaints of guests staying in the standard rooms so make sure to pay the additional few hundred Baths for the deluxe room. In general, I think there are better value for money alternatives out there but we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wouter V
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to chiang mai for years now and I have never experienced anything like the Top North Hotel.

First of all, let me say that I got a "deluxe" room, and I have no major complaints that other that then fact that it seems to sit right on top of the boxing ring next door. The "free wifi" is a bit of a joke, it works if you can get it to connect for more than 30 seconds.

The pool is filthy and freezing. Avoid at all costs.

Now, where this hotel lost all its points - the staff. The girls in reception do not give a toss about anything. They are rude and surly. Generally there are 3 on duty at any time. But even if there is only one person ahead of you, you can be standing around for 10-15 minutes waiting for help. Other girls are just chatting amongst themselves.

One day I left a load of laundry in to be cleaned. When I came to pick it up a number of items were missing, all underwear. All my underwater was gone. This included a quite expensive black bra that I had only bought a couple of weeks before. When I brought this to the attention of the reception staff they made a couple of calls to the laundry woman and came back to me with the answer "no no, you have". They did absolutely nothing. Didn't care at all. So now I have to buy all new underwear for the remainder of my trip.

As someone who will most likely be in chiang mai quite regularly in the future, I will never again stay in this hotel. I wasnt even offered an apology over the loss of my things.

Avoid this place. There are much nicer and friendlier hotels in the area.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank NicNiCaomhanach
Reviewed November 11, 2013

It is one of the larger hotels on the East side of the old city but i think their size has allowed them to forget about their customers and service. the hotel was disasteriously disgusting, first we went to check in and they informed us that they had no double beds available and we would have to take a room with a couple twins, we were not pleased with this but they were very quick to point out that they never commited to a double room and they reserved the right to change as they pleased. When got to our room at smelled like stale cigarette smoke and looked like the floor had not be cleaned in some time with paint and scuff marks all over. When we pushed the two twin beds together to make a larger bed we found a couple dead cockroaches where the bed was sitting, I should have listened to the other review we noticed that said "the rooms smelled of cockroaches".

The next morning we were checking out but our flight was not for a couple hours after 12:00 so we asked to leave our bags to collect them at 13:30, they were nice enough to let us store them and the day manager happened to be there and asked if we would like them to arrange a taxi for us which we did. When we came back to collect our bags at 13:30 seems they forgot all about getting the taxi for us and the concierge told us that thier taxi was already busy.

I would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone, there are plenty of other hotels in the area with much better service for the same price.

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M-John-M
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I took a leap of faith after having read many negative reviews of this property. We have been travelling throughout Thailand and Laos for the past month and really wanted to stay at a place with a pool. We were SO pleased with everything about the place. The staff were amazing! They were so polite and helpful, getting us situated and helping us with tours etc. Granted, the place is a bit rough around the edges, but if you don't mind a bit of mould around the tub and a few cracks here and there, you will not be disappointed. The breakfast buffet is more than adequate. If you are not fond of partially cooked eggs, you can order an omelette for an extra $1.00. The spa services here are very good. We had a total of four different treatments between the two of us. oh, did I mention this???we were planning to stay one night and stayed a full week. The location is very good for all the sights of the city. Everything is within walking distance. We did not eat lunch or dinners here, but as I mentioned the morning buffet did the trick. The gardens are amazing! Orchids were in bloom in every nook and cranny. If you are looking for a budget place with a good location and a good pool, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor. The elevator only services part of the building, so locate your room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in this hotel for the 2nd stop of our 3 weeks holiday trip in Thailand. People at te reception are nice and welcoming, but the room on the oldest building would seriously need to be refreshed.

The room was quite clean but old, with a fan AND the A/C (buying a new one would be more than necessary though!!), a big fridge and a tv coming from the 90´s, a desk and a dressing. It had one window from which we could hear all people talking nearby the room, and music every mornings coming from the restaurant. Also there was another opening window with a balcony with a view on a several floors parking- this one we have never used obviously.

The bathroom now... Well it was quite big with an old bathtub, a sink and the toilets. All of that very old and not really clean. Small red aunts were everywhere in the bathroom and always coming back after cleaning. Water was not very hot but not cold either.

Room and bathroom were very humid, we usually keep the same towel during our stay, here we had to change it everyday.

We did not go to the restaurant except for the breakfast twice. It is absolutely not exceptionnal, you can have milk, coffee and tea, and toasts, rice, pineapple and watermelon, sausages, ham and fried eggs- all cold and not very tasty.

In a word, hotel well located, with a pool and nice personnel but please, please refresh the rooms!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly and helpful if you needed any info.

Don't expect too much from the cheap rooms. Standard was average and clean mostly.

Bathroom looked dated and in need of updating. The water even turned black at one point but sorted itself out by morning.

Pool was nice and the onsite massages were good for the price.

Overall it was ok but I didn't expect much for what I paid for. Will most likely look elsewhere next time.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple