“Avoid at all cost”
Review of Top North Hotel

Top North Hotel
Ranked #305 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 11, 2013

It is one of the larger hotels on the East side of the old city but i think their size has allowed them to forget about their customers and service. the hotel was disasteriously disgusting, first we went to check in and they informed us that they had no double beds available and we would have to take a room with a couple twins, we were not pleased with this but they were very quick to point out that they never commited to a double room and they reserved the right to change as they pleased. When got to our room at smelled like stale cigarette smoke and looked like the floor had not be cleaned in some time with paint and scuff marks all over. When we pushed the two twin beds together to make a larger bed we found a couple dead cockroaches where the bed was sitting, I should have listened to the other review we noticed that said "the rooms smelled of cockroaches".

The next morning we were checking out but our flight was not for a couple hours after 12:00 so we asked to leave our bags to collect them at 13:30, they were nice enough to let us store them and the day manager happened to be there and asked if we would like them to arrange a taxi for us which we did. When we came back to collect our bags at 13:30 seems they forgot all about getting the taxi for us and the concierge told us that thier taxi was already busy.

I would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone, there are plenty of other hotels in the area with much better service for the same price.

Room Tip: Get a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M-John-M

Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I took a leap of faith after having read many negative reviews of this property. We have been travelling throughout Thailand and Laos for the past month and really wanted to stay at a place with a pool. We were SO pleased with everything about the place. The staff were amazing! They were so polite and helpful, getting us situated and helping us with tours etc. Granted, the place is a bit rough around the edges, but if you don't mind a bit of mould around the tub and a few cracks here and there, you will not be disappointed. The breakfast buffet is more than adequate. If you are not fond of partially cooked eggs, you can order an omelette for an extra $1.00. The spa services here are very good. We had a total of four different treatments between the two of us. oh, did I mention this???we were planning to stay one night and stayed a full week. The location is very good for all the sights of the city. Everything is within walking distance. We did not eat lunch or dinners here, but as I mentioned the morning buffet did the trick. The gardens are amazing! Orchids were in bloom in every nook and cranny. If you are looking for a budget place with a good location and a good pool, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor. The elevator only services part of the building, so locate your room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in this hotel for the 2nd stop of our 3 weeks holiday trip in Thailand. People at te reception are nice and welcoming, but the room on the oldest building would seriously need to be refreshed.

The room was quite clean but old, with a fan AND the A/C (buying a new one would be more than necessary though!!), a big fridge and a tv coming from the 90´s, a desk and a dressing. It had one window from which we could hear all people talking nearby the room, and music every mornings coming from the restaurant. Also there was another opening window with a balcony with a view on a several floors parking- this one we have never used obviously.

The bathroom now... Well it was quite big with an old bathtub, a sink and the toilets. All of that very old and not really clean. Small red aunts were everywhere in the bathroom and always coming back after cleaning. Water was not very hot but not cold either.

Room and bathroom were very humid, we usually keep the same towel during our stay, here we had to change it everyday.

We did not go to the restaurant except for the breakfast twice. It is absolutely not exceptionnal, you can have milk, coffee and tea, and toasts, rice, pineapple and watermelon, sausages, ham and fried eggs- all cold and not very tasty.

In a word, hotel well located, with a pool and nice personnel but please, please refresh the rooms!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly and helpful if you needed any info.

Don't expect too much from the cheap rooms. Standard was average and clean mostly.

Bathroom looked dated and in need of updating. The water even turned black at one point but sorted itself out by morning.

Pool was nice and the onsite massages were good for the price.

Overall it was ok but I didn't expect much for what I paid for. Will most likely look elsewhere next time.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Its a bit on the high side, 800 baht,
but nice enough to ignore the price. I stay there because of the pool and the rest of Chiang Mai is at your finger tips. The food is great but you are better off going out the door for cheaper.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the lower floors otherwise there are a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank dagleyd
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I had the misfortune of staying here for one night as the guesthouse I had booked for the rest of my stay was full on the first night. What a mistake!! I'll start with the only positive...it is in a good location right by Thapae gate in the old city. Unfortunately thats all its got going for it. On check in it was immediately noticeable how miserable and unhelpful the young staff were. No smiles, no greetings, no welcome. It got worse when we were shown to our standard room. It was absolutely filthy, disgusting. There were cobwebs in the corners, the table and 1960s tv were full of dust, the bedsheets were stained and the shower curtain was disgusting - so much so I refused to have a shower, I figured id be cleaner going without. I slept on top of the bed fully clothed as the bedsheets were that bad. The next morning we couldn't wait to check out. Fair enough the hotel itself and room were dated, I can accept it looking a little shabby and tired, but theres no excuses for not cleaning the room properly. Very disappointed, I would seriously consider avoiding this place at all costs. Its a shame because its a large hotel in an excellent location, it could have potential if they cleaned up their act and got some decent staff.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank icdlazer
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice now mainly because of the location. The rooms are great if you stay in a delux one but the cheaper rooms are a bit horrible.
The breakfast isn't up to much so I wouldn't bother paying the extra for that.
I've also ate in the restaurant and they kept messing up my order, its much easier and cheaper to eat in one of the restaurants down the road.
The pool is ok & so are the hotel grounds, overall not a bad hotel really just a bit over priced for what ur getting.

• Stayed: April 2013