“Dreadful”

Ranked #110 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is the first time I have written a bad review and as I travel a lot I have written several. Hot water should be a basic but there is only an electric shower which gives some warm water if you fiddle with it. When I complained I was told Thailand is a tropical country. I did not come up the Mekong in a banana boat!!! I am a well seasoned traveller and even cheap hostels have hot wAter.
You had to walk about 3 minutes to hotel up the road for your breakfast.
There was no bacon for breakfast and just cheap processed cold ham. A big variety to suit Asians. Sausages were hot dogs and pretty poor. The only good thing to say was the shampoo in rooms was good. Linen on beds not so white although they were clean. Don't waste your money here. Much better places for less than half the price I paid. I moved to another place called Rux Thai which was only 700 baht per night and fabulous in comparison. Reception staff were not very friendly. Cleaners were much more courteous.

Alan Calder- McNicoll

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I live in Thailand and come to Chiang Mai regularly, so I'm not interested in booking tours etc. I'm self sufficient & my review is based on this.
The rooms are incredibly spacious, nice roomy bathrooms that are separated from the rest of the bathroom so no more wet floors!
The rooms are air conditioned, there is cable TV and a fridge. Large wardrobe, drawers and chairs & table. There is a small balcony and you can drop off your laundry here. There is also plenty of undercover parking available.
Coffee and tea unfortunately are downstairs in the lobby, not available in the room.
The staff are reasonably friendly & helpful and check in/out is speedy.
The old city is a 15- 20 odd minute walk and the nightly markets are about a 30-35 minute walk.
I come back to this hotel because of the space, the king size bed and I can't hear any traffic/dogs/drunk visitors outside as I sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank H00chie_Mama
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Our room didn't have basic items like cups, tea bags etc. They didn't have iron for us to iron the clothes. There was no kitchen, not that I mind, but we had to walk 2-3 minutes to their sister hotel to have our breakfast. The rooms were ok, basic in condition, but not superb. I don't mind staying in places with such conditions, but with the family, it becomes a bit of a problem when you don't have proper things in place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed on the 6th floor. Little soundproofing and conversations at the other end of the hall were disturbingly loud in the room. Warm water in the shower, not hot. Underground parking lot. Good WiFi. Pleasant walk to the Old City and Friday night market. Stayed with an eleven year old and there was plenty of room for the extra bed they set up for him. (generally I've found that you will get a bigger room if you say you are traveling with a child) Balcony didn't face the Old City but had a view none the less. Ample wardrobe and drawers.

Room Tip: Stay as far from elevator as possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We booked the Panerai for our first two days in Chiang Mai as a home base to get acquainted with the city. The place is just at the northeast outer corner of the old city - you're basically a 2 minute walk to cross into the old town.

The rooms are very big, which is helpful if you want to spread out your things. Bed was comfortable - firm, and even had an extra pillow (in the closet) and two extra cushions. Fridge worked fine. Bathroom was clean, but the hot water was not as hot as we would have liked. Kettle was old and slow, but we had our own. It was nice to have a cable for a few days and some English channels. In general, the room was clean, just a little old. Wifi worked well too. A/C worked well and was blissfully quiet. The 7-11 just outside the hotel grounds was a bonus.

The cons: we went out for the entire day and returned to a room that had not been cleaned by 16:00. However, we did ask it to be cleaned and they sent someone right away. There is no safe. The hallways are all hard surfaces, which means hall noise really travels right through the doors, especially if your room is just down the hall from the elevators (which ours was). If you're a light sleeper, wear earplugs (as I write this there is a family outside and I can hear their kid yelping - I blame the people and not the hotel for this though).

This is a good value for money (we paid around 730 Baht with taxes and other fees), but it is possible to find other more charming accommodation in the old city if you look, or book ahead of time. The walk-in price, btw, is much more than the online price. We enquired about extending a night and were quoted 950 Baht so booked online to extend one night and got the 730 rate again with Air Asia's hotel booking site.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room away from the elevators to minimize hearing hall noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had huuuuuge issues with this hotel!
It wasn't that nice when we arrived, but we were okay with it, but then the bathroom was mouldy (really mouldy), the sheets were dirty (see pictures) and there was no safe. We went out for dinner, and when we got back the key wouldn't work in the door. It bent when I was trying to turn it. So I went to front desk. They had a pail of clearly-labelled room keys sitting on their desk, and rummaged through to find me another key. The new key didn't work either, so I went back to front desk. they sent someone up with me, he couldn't get it either. So the staff went to get someone else. We waited for a while, then I went to front desk to see where they were. This was the day we arrived, we were tired and just wanted to sleep. When I got to front desk, they told me they'd sent someone up - I went back up to the room. As I'm stepping off the elevator I hear BANG BANG BANG! I turn the corner, and they've just finished hammering the doorknob off the room to install another one. We watch for a bit, and then a staff member comes and says they can move us to another room (YES, PLEASE!). So we move. The new room is just as crappy but has a doorknob so we sleep there (gross). In the morning, they moved us to their sister hotel, the Royal Peninsula, which is absolutely an upgrade. The bathroom isn't nice, but it's slightly cleaner and has a safe. And the staff were a million times nicer and more helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends