“Decent hotel, bad service, good value”

Royal Panerai Hotel Chiangmai
Ranked #118 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed August 18, 2013

For the price we paid, the hotel offered excellent value. It's in a quieter part of town and 15 mins walk to decent restaurants.

WIFI was consistent though dropped every now and then. Good for general internet usage, SKYPE wouldn't be so great cause the line often dropped.

The Air Conditioner was LOUD, I recommend brining ear plugs.

Breakfast was okay - but you need to walk 5 mins to their sister hotel. Okay on sunny days, not so fun in wet season. That said, they offered a shuttle service when it was raining.

Front desk service was horrible. I asked for a taxi and they offered me a hotel taxi for some crazy price. I asked if they would call a regular taxi for me - the guy did not even know the number to call. 10 mins fumbling with numbers, totally failure. Waste of time.

Would I come here again? Again, great value, but maybe i'll treat myself to more upscale next time.

Room Tip: If you are on internet a lot, ask for room directly in front of the Wireless Router. There are a fe...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Royal Panerai Hotel Chiangmai

Reviewed August 13, 2013

i travelled around Thailand for 5 weeks and this hotel did not impress me. We stayed in this hotel for one night and ended up moving even though we were staying in Chiang Mai for 7 nights.
The hotel is run down and 15min walk outside the main area. The hotel is huge and empty. it felt like we were the only people in the hotel it was so eerily quiet which was unsettling.
The rooms seemed clean but when we turned on our shower it ran brown water first. The room had clearly not been used for a long time.
The staff were rude and unhelpful. I left my charger in the room when we checked out and I had to call back 3 times before they 'found' it.
Much nicer hotels available for the same price

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank fi90
Reviewed August 11, 2013

With a very cheap price (less than 600 Baht), we got Clean room, hot/cool shower and air con worked well, and the best part is the breakfast! It 's complete ( Salad, cereal, juice, fruit, main food was western and thai also cake and toast) and yummy! yes, It's in the Other hotel with same Management but no problem because hotel provide a van to send you there. I didn't mind walk back to hotel, could burn my fat . O yeah, good Wifi too!
Little bit far from thapae gate and night bazaar If you went there by foot, but only 5 minutes drive. 7eleven about 15 meters from hotel and 40 meters from hotel is Chumpae Nuaekata, all you can eat restaurant( seafood, beef, pork, ice cream, desserts, cake , etc) with only 149B/ person and 75B or 45B for kids depends on child's age.
Best value hotel I've ever stayed! l only stay for a night and just felt grateful found this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dewikartini
Reviewed August 4, 2013

last years ,I went to chiangmai with my family. We arrived in chiangmai
at the evening and many hotels are full.My family and I drove around city,We found The Royal Panerai is vacancy and the room cost is not too expensive.The car park was a little bit small and too dark for me.
We got back to get some bag and go up stairs.We found that the way was narrow and the light was not working.Our's room was the end of corridor.
We got in to the room ,The was medium but the room smelled like cigarette.The bed was a little bit small for us and the tv sizes is ok. No exhaust fan in the bathroom.The aircondition is a little bit hot.Wifi was ok (It wasn't connect to my phone but it connet to my father phone it was a litle bit slow.In the morning we woke up and took a bath,Then we get down to ate some breakfast ..Near the hotel it has some restaurant,It is very delicious after that I want to swim but I can't find a swimming pool.Does it has a swimming pool? .We get back to our room and pack a bag and check out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in total and was overall happy with our stay. The room was massive, decent sized bed, balcony, movie channels and wifi (wasn't always the best). We knew someone in a different room who had a kettle and a bath so would of been nice if we got those aswell. The only real downfall was the breakfast buffet. Throughout our time in Asia we have come to realise breakfast isn't there strong point but this was by far the worse of the lot. For starters the breakfast is served at there sister hotel which is a few mins walk down the road. The breakfast itself was mainly Thai food which is understandable but didn't look very appetising and the western food they did have was just as bad. I would recommend this hotel but wouldn't pay any extra for the breakfast as plenty of cafes and bars within walking distance

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stevethornton88
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel was great value for what we paid! It cost $15 a night at this hotel which included free wi-fi, large breakfast selection (western and thai food) and large clean rooms. Breakfast is served at their sister hotel FX Royal Peninsula and is just a few minutes walk down the street (their lunch and dinner menu also has great food and is pretty cheap-less than $10 for two entrees and drinks). We arrived at this hotel via the shared taxi van from the train station and it cost 75 baht a person. The hotel is about a 10-15 min walk to Thapae Gate and is within walking distance to the old city's various temples. The lobby has a wonderful lady who helps plan excursions for you. Only negative was the shower had very low water pressure, but it really wasn't a big deal. Definitely would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yolanda M
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is probably one of the best value for money places in Chiang Mai. If you are looking for an affordable, clean accommodation with all of the comforts and none of the costs, than this is the place to stay. Close to the Old City.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple