“For the money.........disappointing!”

Ranked #96 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“For the money.........disappointing!”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This was the first place we stayed on our 4 week visit to South East Asia.

We booked a deluxe room for 2 nights on the basis of the reviews here just so we would have the security of having somewhere quality to stay initially. Thereafter we winged in.

The rooms are clean and you get a hair dryer and computer in your room which admittedly is rare but we paid 2000 THB per night!

For that money we were expecting something special and whilst the rooms are ok, they are far from luxurious. When you move on and stay elsewhere you feel slightly ripped off.

The toilet seat was hanging off and the rooms were extremely noisy. The reason being that the walls are paper thin. The bed was 4 poster, a good size and comfortable.

The location was good for starting a temple walking tour but really for the money we paid we expected better and were disappointed.

Yes the staff are friendly, but you pay for the room and personally I consider the rooms whilst average need some TLC.

We never paid as much as this in Chaing Mai and found better places for less then half the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJK1979

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The staff were wonderful. Friendly and a great assest to this hotel.
We stayed 2 nights. I didnt like the location. It was a long walk to the Tai Pae gates.
The room had a 4 poster bed with curtains around it. Wooden floors and wooden ceiling. We had a room with a private balcony. The view was of rooftops of the neighbouring houses. Ask for a pool & garden view.This is the type of hotel (decor) that you will either like or dislike.
Breakfast was what you ordered, there was 4 choices (I think). Adequate amount of food.
The room could do with a small bench to put your suitcase on. You could only put it on the floor, which was annoying.
7 11 next door, was very handy.
This hotel was just not my thing. Many of my friends would have appreciated it.
I didnt enjoy staying in the old city at all. The charm of the place was lost on me.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool & garden view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We absolutely loved this hotel. It was a little sanctuary in the city. Wonderful staff and very clean. They bent over backwards to make us happy. The computer in the room did'n't work for me but didn't try too hard - used the one in the lobby. Very clean and felt safe there. They had mosquito coils all over the place outside and no real hassles with mosquitos. Rooms were screened so no problem at nice which was nice. Food ok. Loved the pool - on the cool side but felt glorious after a hot day sightseeing. Great location close to temples and in old town. Could walk most of old town quite comfortably. Will go back for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I saw the reviews here and booked 11-14 Nov. But it turned out to be one of the noisiest hotels I ever stayed in Thailand. Two out of three nights, there were people singing in the bar next door. And the walls were so thin that I actually heard what the couple said next door. Cheap? I had doubt - I paid 1213baht/night while I discovered that it was not difficult to find rooms below 1000b in town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank chicmec
Greensborough, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed at Buri Gallery for 2 nights in a deluxe room. Staff at check-in were lovely. They are actually one of the few hotels in Thailand I have emailed who actually replied! They also rang my room after I had settled in to check if I was happy with everything.

The room I stayed in was on the corner - book this one if you can as it has two lots of windows - one overlooking the lovely pool. The room was quite spacious and had a very rustic feel. Sawadee site said private balcony but this was not the case - the was one long balcony for 3 rooms.

The bathroom was a good size. Unfortunately my toilet leaked water but this wasn't a big issue.
Toiletries supplied were nice. The use of the desktop computer in the room was great - you also had the option of free wifi if you preferred to use your own laptop etc.

Housekeeping staff very friendly and did a good job.

Unfortunately the walls are very thin. My second night was disrupted by the room behind mine as their TV was very loud. The people in the room next to mine were also quite noisy.

I found the location to be a little far for my liking. Make sure you carry a card with the hotel name and map too because alot of taxis don't seem to know the hotel. I ended up telling drivers to take me to the police station in the old city as it is just down the road - saved alot of confusion. 7-evelen right next door. Very handy.

Breakfast was OK. Would have been good if they supplied 2 slices of toast instead of 1 but that is just my opinion. They ran out of bacon the second morning but the ham supplied was nice. Breakfast area is lovely.

Overall a nice hotel - the villas looked great from the outside. I imagine they would have been nice to stay in.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room on the corner if you can. Villas look nice too.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Midwest
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed at the Buri Gallery House for 4 nights. It's in a fantastic location- right on the street that the Sunday walking market is held, and at the beginning of Lonely Planet's suggested temple walking tour. Its located in the old city and we were able to walk nearly everywhere we wanted to go. The employees called us by name from our first day and were enthusiastic about giving us ideas on what to do. They recommended one of the best restaurants we've ever eaten- Hot Chili. Everyone was so kind. The rooms are adorable, and the personal computer in the room came in quite handy. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Liz789
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This is truly one of the best places I have ever stayed. For a "mid range" guesthouse you truly do get hotel ammenities. The staff are always helpful and friendly and the "deluxe" room is huge. Great value for your money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo