“Fabulous for the money”

Ranked #232 of 733 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fabulous for the money”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I really liked this place. I had stayed in royal panerai but could only get 5 days. I'm glad cos this place was way better. Spotless room and and fresh crisp bedding. It was great. The ac worked well and there was a fan as well. Staff very nice and helpful. Paid 700 baht for the room excluding breakfast which you had to pay for separately. Breakfast was good with American breakfast 120 baht. Would definitely come here again and would highly recommend it to anyone. Just one small thing. The coffee could be hotter but you will get it hotter and stronger if you ask for it.
Alan Calder-mcnicoll

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alan C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Can't fault this place - stayed for 1 night and had everything we needed. Close to great restaurants and bars, staff were friendly enough. Cable tv, fridge. Would recommend this place - especially for the price!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed at Rux-Thai for 3 nights. When I arrived I was given the keys and had to find the room myself, when I entered it stank of cigarette smoke. The ash tray was filled with buds and I got the cleaner to remove the ashtray but smell stayed. The room wasn't very clean, hairs in bathroom, rubbish in bin and general dust. During my stay the cleaner kept entering while I was in the room including while I was sleeping and while I wasn't properly clothed, they laughed, but would not leave. On another occasion I asked the lady at the front desk to help me turn the AC off and she said she wouldn't help me because she didn't want to walk up the stairs, when I reminded her that I was only the second floor she gave in and helped. I was also asked to pay for the ashtray 'that was missing from my room' when checking out.
The location was great and I felt safe as a lone female traveller. I would highly recommend the cooking school down the road!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Noosh N
delaware
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Can't recommend more highly. This is a less than $20 per night guesthouse not a western hotel. Its like a big college dorm but with a Beautiful open air lobby on quiet street. Lobby is lovely for breakfast or late evening gathering. AC in rooms is fantastic. No elevator. Private bath-again very basic and clean. Shower was great. BYO toiletries, small soaps are re stocked daily. Only down side is Beds are super super hard. Thai mattress on wood base. But sheets are crisp and white and changed daily. 1clean soft towel per person per day. We fell I'm love with the staff. Couldn't have been more helpful and efficient and accommodating. Very good English speaking and happy to chat. Convenient to walk to city gate, night market, Sunday night walking market. We really appreciated the very quiet little side street with the occasional scooter in front of Rux Thai. (pronounced Rock Thai.). 10 minute walk to Zion Cafe near Pantip Plaza- awesome thai food, coffee, smoothies and desserts. To get out of city for couple hours, ask Emmi at Zion, to arrange a red truck to drive you up the mountain to summer palace, temple and waterfall.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PickyTraveler02
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at Rux Thai and although the rooms aren't 5 star - they are clean and air conditioned. The staff are very friendly and the hotel is in a great location, near to the night market and walking distance to the old city.
Great location. A little gem. Only a matter of time before the prices go up on this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaniBrunton
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our room was very small and dark. The window in the bathroom didn't close so the room was stifling hot all the time. The fixtures were ancient and poorly maintained. The beds were extremely uncomfortable. Good points - both the a/c and frig worked well. I don't recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Bangalore
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been to Chiang Mai thrice and every time I visit, I spend most of my days at this simple guesthouse. I have never spent more than 590 baht per night for the standard A/C room and they even give a 10% discount card for your next visit, should you choose to stay with them again. The wi-fi worked great, but I didn't bother with the TV much. It may not be a new property but it's fairly quiet (unless you have a noisy neighbour). The location is great with everything you need being a few minutes walk away. The shower and bathroom, although old-fashioned in terms of design, worked. You may find other properties around for the same price... but I guess I was too lazy to check once I dumped my bags here :-)

Room Tip: Just a tip though: The hotel doesn't have an elevator, so I always request a room on the ground...