“Good rates, friendly staff.”
Review of M.D. House

M.D. House
Ranked #213 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This guest house was so perfect for us that we stayed there for the full 3 weeks of our trip. The staff were very friendly and happy to book taxis for fairly long trips to Doi Suthep and Doi Saket and the front desk is manned 24 hours. We didn't use the pool outside but did sit around it for our morning coffees and a few times with a late-night beer. MD House is located right in the centre of the city, about a 5 minute walk from Thapae Gate, has a coffee shop next door, a 7-11 just across the road and is close to many decent bars including John's Place and Tusker's. The rates are excellent, around £7 per night when we stayed.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2009

We really enjoyed our time at MD House. The rooms and hotel environment was very comfortable and location central. Breakfast, and food in general, were ok, but there are plenty more good restaurant options in the area. The pool proved useful on hot days. All in all, MD House is a great value for what you're getting.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2009

very big but nice place with a swimming pool, free wifi, in a central location. not very luxurious but clean and definately value for money. stay here!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2009

- very helpful staff
- very close to everything
- bring a lock. They don't have safes but they do offer lockers.
- clean, beautiful pool
- clean rooms
- overall great experience

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We stayed at MD for 6 nights and really wish we could have stayed longer. We arrived about 10pm and saw the sign that the pool closed at 10. After we checked in which was very easy, I asked if it was too late for a swim as the kids were really hot. No problems was the answer....actualy that seemed to be their motto the whole time we were there. I booked through the internet and because there was 5 of us, we had booked 1 room with an ensuite and 1 without. Low and behold, when we checked into our rooms, both had an ensuite, TV, great aircon, decent size fridge for all the extra drinks we needed to keep hydrated, comfy beds and really clean. We had both rooms next to each other which was great with the kids. I'm a bit of a coffee addict in the mornings and on day 1 I was up at 6am. The little on site area where you could get brekky didn't open til 7.30am. I asked if there was somewhere I could get a coffee. No problem, they opened up for me and put the thermos on and I had my coffee by the pool. For every morning after that by the time I went out by the pool wether it was 5.45am, 6.15am or 7am, the thermos was on and I just made myself a coffee. If you like coffee, take your own cup, coffee, sugar and milk. I found the cups in Thailand way too small for me. There was a 7/11 within 2 min walk and on the last night we found the BEST Thai massage place right next door to the 7/11. The 5 of us booked for an oil massage. Within 10 min (while we were having dinner across the road) 3 staff arrived to be able to accommodate all of us. Our massage ended up lasting for nearly 2 hours. I wish I could remember the name as we had massages every day while in Thailand and this truely was the best!!!! MD has tour bookings available and it is definately cheaper than booking on the net. Although, we met some Canadian guys who referred us to Chiang Mai Thai Tours who were able to do things just a little cheaper. Go left out of MD House, then left at the main road. Not far down the street. My 14 and 10 year old loved the free internet and used it during our down time to catch up with friends back home. At all times we felt very safe around Chaing Mai and everyone just seemed to love the kids. They all want to come back and stay here. We walked to Thapae Gate (5 min)for Sunday Markets and had a blast of a time. We found this much better than Night Bizaar which we did a few nights later. Get around in Tuk-tuks here as it was really cheap. We even had 5 of us in 1 which was great fun. I cannot recommend this place more highly, especially if you have kids. Thanks so much MD HOuse for making our trip to Chiang Mai a very memorable one.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank AdelaideFamilyof5
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Booked on the internet. Nice hostel with large rooms (we had room 225 near the back and quiet), although quite basic. Small balcony with grill on and facing adjoining building. They have a free internet room here with 6 computers. Is always quite busy but we usually got a machine. Staff were friendly and helped us book tours and airport transfers. Breakfast wasn't included but available from the cafe on site. Lockers available in reception if you have your own padlock. The hostel is good because it is set back from the road and has a car park at the front and swimming pool. Wifi is available but we couldn't get it in our room. Excellent location just inside city walls and lots of bars and restaurants on road outside. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bluesoup77
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Dont hesitate to book, this is great hotel to stay. The rooms have ac / tv /hot shower / fast wifi and a working table so it was perfect for me. Its central, street has lots of good restaurants, coffee shops with free wifi and weekend market is only 300 meters.

Most staff is young tourism students so all very helpful and speaks good English. I booked for 2 nights first but tonight is my 4th extra nights and i might stay another 3-4 nights.

There is also really good massage place called Christie's just 100 meters from the hotel. Great service with air conditioned private rooms and soft relaxing music, i went almost everyday.

Chiang mai had lots of activities and some good shopping centres. Airport Plaza is very good fro shoping, its similar to MBK in Bangkok.

Locals in chiang mai in General are much chilled, helpfull and honest than the locals on south, was good after spending 6 months on the islands.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo