“Basic, but convenient”
Review of Eagle House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Eagle House
Ranked #225 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed at Eagle House after it's sister branch 'Eagle House 2' was full. It's pretty basic, with an attached bathroom, but the terrace area is beautiful, lined with greenerie. The staff seemed a little clueless, but they were friendly and helpful when thry could be. They had extensive tours and transport booking services which was incredibly useful. Although, we didn't try out any of the tours, it has been recommended.

The good thing about the guesthouse is that it is away from the hustle and bustle of the main road, so it is rather peaceful especially with bars and tourists located just outside the area.

The room itself had a small porch area in the back. Everything was adquate but basic. We stayed in a large double room, but triple rooms were also available. Not exactly value for money, but just okay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Eagle House

Reviewed May 8, 2011

The room was basic but clean and the location is convenient. My room was a corner room and next to local homes. There was quite alot of noise, so it was difficult to sleep. The staff was nice and helpful. The reception and seating area was very welcoming.

The tour I did was brilliant; it was a 3 day 2 night tour. The tour guide was very friendly and full of information about the trek. The food was amazing...I honestly couldn’t fault the tour. It was tiring, but one of the highlights of my trip! I liked the fact they took an interest in the environment and the hill tribes villagers
Even if you don’t stay at the Eagle House, check out the tours!!

I would recommend, but please keep in mind this is a guesthouse, with basic rooms.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I can't compare this to other guest houses because I otherwise stayed in hotels. The rooms is clean and secure but basic - no soap, toilet paper or tv. It was in a really convenient location and the tours were amazing, our review is mostly for the tour. The staff were very nice and helpful and the garden had a great atmosphere, wish I had of had time to do the cooking class.

Our tour guide was so happy, positive and fun you just wanted to have a good time. We originally booked the 3 days/2 nights but it got cancelled and we went on a shorter trip. The food was amazing on the tour, the mountains were beautiful, I loved staying in the hilltribe villages, you could buy a lot of cheap locally made souvenirs, the hot springs were lovely as was the waterfall. Definitely make your way to Chiang Mai, it was my favourite place in Thailand.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RachelAT
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The first thing we noticed was "checkout 10 am sharp". Are they serious? Normal checkout time in Thailand is noon. Of course they tried to make us pay for more than one day, claiming they were busy, while they very obviously were not. Then we had to fill in the checkin register - BOTH of us - never seen that before either. The room was very basic, but ok to sleep in. We moved to another GH the next day, where they where they just copied one of our passports and gave us the key, and where i can checkout after my morning coffee...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swissbelg
Reviewed January 16, 2011

This is my 3rd visit to Eagle House 1. The guesthouse is a bit worn, but this adds to the ambience. Guests sit around the garden where they chat about their travels and often pair up to visit sights in Chiang Mai or do day trips. I love waking up in the morning to look out my window, over the balcony to see the pink bougainvillea framing the 200 year old chedi down the block. This time of year, the skies are always blue and the sun always shines here. The best part of staying here is that the staff make you feel like they are your family. starting with Annette, the owner--she knows everything there is to know about things to do and see, festivals and exhibits and she will give you all kinds of useful information. The desk staff can help book a trek or a cooking class, both of which are run by the guesthouse. The first time I came here, I went on a three day trek. My guide was Date. He is so awesome--he knows all about the non-public area of the trek and life in the Karen villages you visit, he cooks wonderful meals for the trekkers, and he has become a friend who always tells me great things to do--like walk around the moat at 5:30 a.m. before the auto fumes make such a walk unpleasant. You can get delicious meals here, cooked to order--both Thai and Western food--and all is really inexpensive. I have also done the cooking class which is a lot of fun, and I was able to go home with a cookbook full of great Thai meal ideas. The mascot of Eagle House 1 is Graham, a big gray cat who loves to be petted. Watch the neighbor across the street, a baker, prepare her yummy treats. I highly recommend Eagle House 1 if you travel to Chiang Mai. Come and meet the smiling staff, go trekking, learn to cook, visit the Sunday Night Market--the best market in Thailand, see this beautiful city.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Muffale
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I visited Eagle house in May 2008m and now would not stay anywhere else in CM it is very friendly, with lots going on and plenty of 'real' people. Annette is always willing to help and full of local information. Why pay more?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank lachlan_10
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Just avoid it unless you're broke. It's noisy, dirty and big. The staff wasn't overly helpful, which for me usually isn't a problem. Here though it was because I was placed on the ground floor in a room with a shifty lock. I brought up my concern and asked if I could be moved. The front desk did nothing, just told me they were full.
If you have a bit more money (ie $12 night) and don't mind being in a less backpacker area, head towards the Wat Cheudi Luang. It's a trendy area (one that seems popular with yuppies and thai punks) that is a lot quieter. (There is one hotel, the U Chiang Mai, that does have a slightly loud bar (subwoofer), but this only affects Le Bateau Ivre.) Most of the places seemed clean and the restuarants/bars are a lot more laid back. Another advantage is being located so close to the temples; you get a better idea of regular Thai life.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo