“Rustic, Charming & Authentic Thai Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Regina Riverside Guesthouse
Ranked #471 of 784 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We found this B&B by accident whilst looking around the funkiest part of Chiang Mai just east of the River Ping. The front of house is a charming 160 year old authentic wooden shop house selling hand made Thai goods, antiques and curiosities. Out back is a beautiful shaded garden with a spectacular view of the riverside where you can eat great Thai food at great prices and find some of the best coffee in CM. There is a small block of 6 apartments, 3 on the ground floor and 3 accessible via a set of equally old wooden steps on the upper deck. The rooms are fairly small but have character and charm in abundance. All rooms have A/C, small wet room with hot water showers (the best in Thailand) and toilet. The bed is a double mattress set on a wooden block low on the floor with a large cabinet for clothes, small table and chairs, T.V and hand sink. Very clean, very cool, a true hidden gem just meters away from the heat and pollution of the old town. Rooms are 600THB a night or 550THB if you stay a week or more. The east side of the river is full of great restaurants, bars and little independent shops selling arts & crafts. We cant recommend this place highly enough if you are looking for a real Thai experience in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: all rooms are good but the upper deck has great views of the river.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We did not stay in this guesthouse, but had both lunch and dinner here. In front on Charoenrat Road is the old house part, which is used as a shop. It sells fascinating items, Thai antiques, memorabilia, furniture, old signs etc. If I could have squeezed more into my suitcase I would have bought more. Both lunch and dinner were very good, the food tasty and authentic, and the prices more than reasonable. They had a litter of kittens when we were there, and my 11yr old son spent hours playing with them. Sitting outside in the back garden gives you a terrific view of the river, eating dinner and watching locals fish on the sandbars in the middle. I had a quick look at a room ( a guest I met in the restaurant area showed me), they are clean and more than one needs to be happy, unless you are looking for 5 star hotel comforts.

We will definitely be back to enjoy the charm of the shop, the excellent food and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I found this place on accident - just walking around shortly after landing in Chiang Mai. As you walk in, there is a shop in front; walk to the back and you'll see the restaurant seating area facing Mae Ping river.

I have an unusually high tolerance for spicy food; my favorite American thai dish is "Drunken Noodle". I immediately ordered what looked like drunken noodle from Regina's menu (spicy noodle) and asked that it be made extra spicy. Nay, I insisted that it be made extra spicy lest she held back.

Spicy it was. I was over the moon with my meal - so very happy.

As it was my first meal, I thought maybe other restaurants will honor my request for spicy dishes but alas, disappointed not once but twice!

I was in Chiang Mai for five nights. I ate dinner at Regina's three out of those five nights.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kalli0py
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I cannot comment on the guesthouse. However, we had our best, and least expensive, dinner in Chiang Mai here. The Regina is located on the Ping River. It looks as if this stretch of the road is being gentrified quickly - most places near here are fairly high-end. The Regina was recommended to us by someone at the Baan Orapin B&B - we're happy we listened.
You enter through a curio shop...fun to look around in. The restaurant in the back is simple but it's on the river so a lovely setting. Service was not the quickest, but the food was worth the wait - and while waiting you do double takes as you see yet another cat appear.
Go if you don't mind the most basic of furniture and enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were staying close by and noticed this place whilst walking around. There was a sign outside which invited customers to taste authentic thai food and the antique shop style seemed appealing.We returned to dine two days later and were led through the shop area down to a table at the riverside. On viewing the menu I decided to try a thai spicy shrimp salad although alarmed to see the shrimps were available in rare, medium or well done! The waiter advised that it was usual for thais to eat these raw ... but I am not quite sure what was meant by this so chose well done and mild spice. My husband loves spicy so ordered a chicken dish with rice. Drink orders were also taken but took a long time to arrive even though they were just watermelon juices. The food eventually arrived and my husband was most happy with his choice but try as I may I could not eat the salad (it seemed to be only entree size) as it was smothered in very spicy dressing contrary to my request for very mild. The food was quite cheap, the location absolute riverfront, but everything seemed just a little bit rough and ready. I am a major cat lover fortunately as there was quite a few of them which would not be to everyones liking. All in all I anticipated a little more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We were meeting a fellow TA member who suggested we meet at Regina’s for lunch as she knew I was a big cat lover, and said this was a place we must visit. This place is great, it has heaps of character and charm with lots of little treasures and movie memorabilia around the shop. Loved this from the moment I walked in where I spotted a furry little creature snoozing on one of the benches inside the shop, I was then looking around for more. We walked out to the restaurant area which looked out onto the river nice and relaxing while you are having a couple of drinks. The food was amazing here and such a fantastic price. Loved the cats wandering around and had so much fun looking at all the treasures in the shop

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katsrule
Reviewed October 29, 2013

we did not stay here, but enjoyed a lovely dinner. Great Thai food & good value. Fabulous riverside location, nice and relaxing, and much nicer than the bigger noisier restaurants & bars near by. There was lots of friendly cats roaming around. An interesting curiosity shop at the entrance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple