“Charming but dodgy”
Review of Chaba House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiang Mai
Chaba House
Ranked #276 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I booked a single room at the cheapest rate for 2 nights with the intention of staying 2 weeks but Mr Pathom put me in a nicer but more expensive room and told me that I should stay for a minimum of 3 nights. After debating that I managed to pay for 2 nights. When he gave me the change, twice wrong, I only noticed afterwards that he wrote down 700 Baht for 2 nights when in fact I was charged 370 Baht a night. Not a good strategy to encourage customers to stay longer or at all I would say..Sorry Mr Pathom..

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Evapetteva

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at Chabba House for 5 weeks in Feb when taking Thai massage coarse and it was a great choice if you are looking for a quiet friendly place to stay.
Every morning we would have breakfast waiting for us between 7 and 9 and I was travelling solo so it was nice that I didn't have to venture out to eat in the morning. You have friendly people to share your morning meal with. Everything is relaxed so if you are looking for a party best to stay in the Old City.
I loved coming back to Chabba and having the courtyard to relax with my fellow travellers, sharing stories and making new friends.
My room was clean, plenty of hot water and with the fenced courtyard it was secure.
As soon as I arrived Mr Phatom was phoned and he came to the guesthouse to greet me and showed me around in his car. It took me awhile to get my bearings because I am terrible with directions but he never got tired of helping me find where I wanted to go. He wrote our address in Thai for me which helped when I ran into a taxi or tuktuk that didn't understand where I wanted to go. He helped out with the tours I took on the weekend and each one was Fantastic.
I had an air conditioned room and it worked well, quiet, cool and clean.
I loved spending the day at the pool at Green Hotel, often there were only 5 or 6 people there. The only thing I would do different would to bring a floating device for the pool. That would be heaven to lay on the water and float.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank bertsky1343
Reviewed April 16, 2013

i stayed at chaba house for 10 weeks and was thoroughly looked after by mr patong and his wife.
he went out of his way to make sure very little thing i needed was catered for.even to his own private chiropractor and thai doctor.he was very knowledgeable able everything happening in chiangmai.and home made breakfasts everyday.a bit out of the city but in a local area with lots of local rests.rates were reasonable and my garden room was clean are spacious

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank thaistudy
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I loved my 3 ½ week stay at Chaba House in January 2013. Pathom is a great owner and host and his English is very good. Pathom was a great resource person. Very knowledgeable and made different suggestion of things for me to see and do. He would explain how to get there and approximately the cost to travel there. He would point things out on a map. He has a good heart and if you are sick he brings natural medicine and helps you find someone who might be able to help. On the first day there, he took me out and showed me the surrounding area and where I could catch the red trucks (taxi’s) to town, which helped a lot.

The young couple who take care of the place live onsite and are sweet but speak no English. Pathom does not live on site but is there every morning to greet you and make sure things are ok.

Breakfast is included with your room and it’s amazing, It is so big and tasty. Loved it because it was vegetarian. Pathom prepares it himself and it is different everyday. There is drinkable water available 24/7 from a filtered system. You can also use the kitchen area to prepare your own foods as well.

This is not a not a "backpacker" hangout. So if you are looking for a party scene you will not find it here. Most of the people who stay at Chaba House are there for massage school or want a quieter place to stay for a week or two or more. The great thing about this is that it becomes kind of like a family. People had to get up for classes and study, so it was a quiet place to stay.

The place is very clean and taken care of. No bugs or anything like that. The whole place was kept very clean. It is nice to sit out in the garden. I felt like my stuff was safe there too.

It is not real close to the city but not far either, but there are lot’s places to eat nearby, as well as the 7/11, a small supermarket, ATM’s and other shops. Next door is an internet café. You can also use the swimming pool at the Green Hill Hotel for 50 Baht - only 10 minutes walk from Chaba House. There is also a beautiful temple you can walk to.

I would take a cheap songthaew (red truck taxi) to the old city for 20 baht. Some people have commented that they were paying a lot more. If they ask the driver the cost to go to the old city the driver will quote a much higher price. So don’t ask. If they say yes that they can drop you off, do not ask the price. Just jump on board and when you get off just hand then 20 baht each. 20 baht is currently the standard price to go from Chuba House to the old city or travel within the old city. But what I did find though, at night the red taxi rates were higher as less people were travelling in the direction of the Chuba House. So I would pay between 20-50 baht as I was travelling by myself. I often asked Pathom what a reasonable rate was to wherever I wanted to travel to so I knew how to bargain with the driver. People you have to bargain or they will overcharge you. If you travel by tuk tuk it will cost you more.

If you are looking at being out in the city most nights, you must factor in the extra costs for travel and the time it does take to travel back and forth.

The room I had was clean, quiet, lots of hot water and had a comfortable bed in it. Free wifi. Was it a 5 star hotel no but neither was the price. Could it use a bit of updating, like fresh paint or furnishings sure but this could be said about so many places.

All and all I was very happy with my stay at Chuba House. Great value and would defiantly recommend it.

Thank you Pathom for helping make my stay in Chiang Mai so enjoyable. Look forward to staying with you again. May you have a great success with your guesthouse.

Carol

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank travelinginbliss
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I used to like staying at this relatively in-expensive Chiang Mai guesthouse, but my last few experiences have been really bad. The room prices have gone up, yet the quality has gone down. The internet connection is terrible. Most of the smaller rooms are filthy - w/ layers of dust and mold. There is no house cleaning unless you stay longer than a week, and then they only clean once a week. Things like toilet paper are not their priority. They have some larger apartment style rooms in the courtyard, which are cleaner and nicer, but you will have no peace and quiet there. The guesthouse is usually filled with backpackers who are staying in Chiang Mai for extended periods of time to study at the nearby Thai massage academy. They will keep you up all night discussing their travels and life crises in the courtyard, or in the daytime will fill the lovely grassy area with their laundry, or with their yoga sessions. I have never gotten a good night's sleep in this place.

Also, the guesthouse is very far from the Old City, and center of town. If you have a motorbike it's fine, but if you don't, you are pretty far from most things. The owner is a nice enough guy, but is very controlling over what goes on. He is there every morning for breakfast. He is pretty disapproving if you have a friend stay with you, and will charge you extra. Feels more like a school dormitory than a guesthouse for adults.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank TVM08
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Chaba House. Mr. Pathom and his wife are very helpful, the rooms and the garden are kept clean. I would recommend the garden rooms, although it might be a bit noisy early in the morning, when the staff is preparing the breakfast.
It is not close to the city, but there are enough places to eat nearby, as well as the 7/11 supermarket. Also you can use the swimming pool at the "Green Hill" Hotel for 50 Baht - only 10 minutes walking from Chaba House.
If you are looking for beeing out in the city most of the nights, you should look for a place there (I heard you can find some for less money), as the taxis charge a lot at night time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Anja76
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at Chaba House for two of the three weeks that we were in the Chiang Mai area. We had a two-level room with private bath along the pretty garden courtyard for 620 baht per night; ours was right next to the kitchen area. I will say that the kitchen could be a bit noisy starting at 5:30am with the noise of getting ready for breakfast, but we are rather light sleepers. The whole place was kept very clean.

The mattress downstairs was quite comfortable. The smaller mattress upstairs where our son slept in the loft was very hard, but he didn't complain about it. The bathroom was nice, but that particular shower's hot water heater was quirky and only made the water VERY HOT. We just mentioned it once to the owner and never said anything about it again so it obviously didn't bother us that much. If we showered during the day, we didn't need the water heater anyhow, We were in another room where the water heater worked just fine.

The young couple who take care of the place live onsite and are EXTREMELY sweet but speak no English. Patom, the owner, is there mornings. His English is very good, and he can be interesting to speak with as he has lived in many countries. Some mornings he is not as sociable or helpful for whatever reason. He is not the best person to book trips through. We would go into town to Diva to eat lunch and book trips. We could walk to town, but the main road is rather stinky and slower going with a 7 year old. We would take a cheap songthaew to the old city for 20 baht each and walk from there. Of note, drivers often don't even charge for kids.

Most of the people who stay at Chaba are there for massage school. The great thing about this is that it becomes kind of like a family. It is nice to see many of the same people there throughout your trip. This was a good place to stay with our son because it was not a "backpacker" hangout. People had to get up for classes and study, so it was a quiet place to stay. We felt like our stuff was safe there too.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms on the courtyard. These are the best.