“Good price and clean rooms”

Chiang Mai Thai House
Ranked #327 of 802 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights in March 2013 rooms and pool were clean (the pool was a good size too). The staff were very friendly and helpful. For the price the fan room was great not too hot either (it was 30 degrees or more during the day). The location is great just off of the a main road near the gate to the old city (5 minute walk). It was nice to have free use of the computers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have stayed at this place a few times, over the past four years. The staff have always been rude but the price, pool, location brought me back occasionally. Today I was told I am stupid and I complain too much by the manager; he really went too far. I was complaining that my room had not been cleaned and he told me he would give me fresh towels only if I walked up to my room on the 4th floor and brought the used ones down. They would not send anyone up, and i could not bring the used towels down later. I was told I would never be given a reservation at the hotel again, and that I should tell my friends they are not welcome either. I think rude is an understatement. Thankfully I found a room elsewhere and left almost immediately. I did not ask for my money back, it is doubtful they would have obliged and i did not want another unpleasant scene. As I left the place I was jeered at and told 'thank you for leaving'. This is a nasty place, please don't support it. Place opposite Thapae boutique house just a few hundred baht more and really worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Rekhs13
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed for a night when traveling further north.

Great room, fantastic price and very safe. Wonderfully clean too.Location also excellent to be able to walk around the market and town.

I upgraded for a few extra pounds to get air con. worth it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Chiang Mai Thai house is located 5 minutes away from the centre of Chiang Mai gate that leads to the old town and a 20 minute walk from the night market. The guest house is very clean and the rooms are comfortable on the main side of the guest house. If you are looking for something cheaper there are dorms located opposite of the guest house but I wouldn't recommend them as the price difference is around 100-200 baht per night and they are small, very hot, no view and you share the toilet and the shower. The only issue we noticed is that the guest house owners prefer guests to book activities from them. If you don't, they will mess about and they will keep changing you rooms possibly ending to the dorms by telling you that there has been a confusion, the guest house is fully booked and other excuses like this. So my suggestion is as it is a nice hostel, very clean and located in a good spot, you should pre book the room you like for the amount of time you want rather than paying day by day to avoid being moved around and all the hassle. All in all, I would definitely recommend it and I would stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms at the main building are fine. Dorms on the opposite are small, very hot and you share the toi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed 6 nights in this wonderful three star hotel at a very reasonable price. Staff were very helpfull and friendly and our room was pleasant, clean and with a beautiful view over Chiang Mai and the mountain behind. We stayed with our son aged 9 who used the pool which was also clean although really cold.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the top floor
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anders H
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We walked into this hotel and the manager JJ was super friendly and had a double room available for an incredibly low 400BHT. We expected the room to be kinda dingy but it was perfect! We stayed in room 305 with a double bed, warm water and a tv with an English movie channel. The pool is lovely! especially after walking around the hot city all day. Food was really cheap and tasted wonderful. Other than that JJ really stood out for us, he made some great recommendations that really seemed genuine and not just trying to help out his friend's businesses. We stayed 4 days and would have stayed another week if we had the time. The hotel is also super close to everything but tucked away in a small soi so nice and quiet as well. Night market and Sunday market both a 5 min walk and the Old city is right there. Highly recommend to all!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife & I stayed for a week & would stay here again if in Chiang Mai. The room, service, staff were all excellent. A great place to stay & walk the entire area including the old city. We spent hours each day walking & exploring the entire area including the many old temples, markets, dining & sights. The location was excellent for doing just that.

Room Tip: We liked the second floor rooms overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple