“Pretty hotel with so much potential but staff let it down”

Chiang Mai Thai House
Ranked #236 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel has a lovely pool and that along with the price is what sold it to us $6 each a night for a fan room. The room was nice and big, comfy bed and a big window. The fan rooms don't have any fridges. The hotel is decorated in traditional Lana style and has lovely pieces dotted throughout the hotel and feature walls on each stair way. However the reception staff really let the place down. We did not feel very welcome when we checked in instead of giving us some information about Chiang Mai ( where the hotel was in relation to the main attractions etc), JJ launched straight into trying to sell us tours and excursions. We wanted to stay longer for the price and the pool, but we were told it was fully booked, despite us saying on check in that we would like to stay for a week...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mollydollyireland
There are newer reviews for Chiang Mai Thai House

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Despite reading that service here had taken a turn for the worse, we decided to try it out anyway, given that many people said it was such a nice place. That much is true, it is nice.
Unfortunately, the reviews of the service also turned out to be true. Most of the staff are either dismissive or discourteous regarding any request, and this is especially true of the gentleman who seems to run things (with the black-framed glasses). It was abundantly clear that the only thing he was concerned with was getting money out of our pockets and into his, and could have cared less about the quality of our stay.
Oh, and by the way AVOID BOOKING ANY TOURS OR TRIPS through the hotel. In many cases you will pay double here what you will pay many other places.
I was even willing to forgive most of this, since the hotel was largely very pleasant, as long as we didn't have to interact with the staff, but I think the final blow for me was that, when we decided to go out of town to Pai for two days and asked to leave a bag behind at the hotel for safekeeping, we were informed that this was not possible. This is a basic service at every hotel, hostel and guesthouse in SE Asia, and in two months we didn't encounter another place that couldn't provide this for its guests. I'm quite sure, however, that if they thought people would pay a dollar for the service, they would be more than happy to do so.
If you don't mind being looked at like a walking dollar sign, by all means, check this place out. Otherwise, there are plenty of places around that are far more welcoming.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank adhaglin
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and its a brilliant place to stay. We walked around chiang mai for hours looking and places and for the price only a couple places compare for the price. It's pool is clean (salt water) the rooms and common areas are always very clean an I'm funny about that! Moon is a joker and so is JJ. They are the two main guys from what I can tell. One night we had a few beers with them and it was really funny. They both go out of their way to help you out. As they were almost fully booked when we arrived we had to change rooms and we were going out for te day an they sorted our bags out and moved them into the correct rooms for us. They sorted out trips reasonably priced and are allways around to help from booking tuk tuks to telling us the best place to eat etc. Food is great here and they always have beers. But the shop one min down the road also does them slightly cheaper. So all in all a great place to stay book it!!! Oh and it's in the middle of everything from the night market to the day market and to all the shops and restaurant. Think that's it hope it helps.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon entrance, The chiang Thai House gives an inviting vibe where you can lounge around and shoot breeze with friends, typical of asian houses. They have a well appointed house furnitures, nothing tacky. the architecture is true to form, it is a lanna styled house, the architectural style that originated from the North of Thailand where Chiang Mai is. the room given us was clean except that the water from the shower took a long time to drain and the safe needed a new battery. They are very nicely located as Chiang Thai is walking distance to the night and warorot market yet not near enough to be disturbed by the touristy noise.

There are three major downer during our stay. First, when we asked the staff to check why the safe seemed to be not working. She came into our room seemingly displeased with our request, nary a smile or an excuse me. She tinkered with the battery of the safe and when she saw the power was on,she left right away without waiting to see if it would work. True enough,it did not. as she went down to the ground floor,we have to call her again to our room on the 3rd floor and asked that the battery be replaced. This time, she reallly looked pissed off. Luckily for us, my husband is a big asian man who looks like a Sultan of an Asian Sultanate, when my husband started to sound disappointed and angry too, the girl politely said that it is now working and for us to check if indeed it was working. Second, the food service leavEs to be desired. The food selection is very limited, the presentation poor and the chaffing dishes not so clean. Third, some of the staff were rude, were lounging lazily around the lobby in thier grubby uniforms. With these three downers, clearly the hotel needs improvement . The three things I pointed out would not give a dint to the owner's income from Chiang Thai but if these three were taken into serious consideration and acted upon, Chiang Thai might yet make it to one of the best houses in Chiang Mai. In Filipino, we have a beautiful word for this that makes the tourist come back again and again. We call it, "Tamang pakikisalamuha" or the right way of dealing with others. I hope that this spirit of "Tamang Pakikipagsalamuha" be present the next time a visitor enters Chiang Thai House.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gold V
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed in a ground floor superior room for three nights for 1000 Baht per nite. The room was very large with a queen size bed, large mini fridge, small writing table and plenty of storage space. Bathroom is also large by Asian standards. Location is excellent, down a small street from one of the main streets in Chiangmai and only 3 blocks from the old city. Most guests are European. Pool was ver good, refreshing after a full day in the sun. Only downside is that the beds are rock hard. I guess at some point during our three month trip I will get used to the hard beds. Bottom line I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel room and the restaurant is good. It is clean and it looks cousy. But the hotel has a lot of rules that make you feel like a little kid. And most important, the manager like to controling everything. So for excample, the rule of checking out (10 am) was not a discussion for him and at 9.30 am already he started pushing us to get out. Drinks in the restaurant couldn't be written at the hotelbill, everytime have to pay cash. It is not a hotel to be with children, look at the picture we made at the pool, again too many rules. This was the fourth time i visit this hotel and my last time, if they may change the management. One pluspoint, the nightshift were verry friendly.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank frankthailand
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were ecstatic to get a room here after walking in off the street. It was very reasonably priced, the rooms were very clean, and there was a pool! Unfortunately, all of this came with a price, and that was the terrible front desk man.

We checked in and paid for our first night, showered, gathered our laundry and came down an hour later and told him we would stay two additional nights as well. I made sure it was ok, and that we could stay in the same room. He nodded, but didn't make any notes. The first morning we went out early, and stayed out for the entire day. The second morning, I went down around 8 for coffee, and was immediately accosted by the same front desk man. He reprimanded me for "not checking in" with him about how long we were staying at the hotel. I responded that I had told him our first night. He assured me it wasn't him (when it was) and continued to reprimand me in front of other guests eating breakfast. I was embarrassed and completely caught off guard (let a girl drink her coffee first!) as he grilled me about what time exactly I told him- after I had been traveling for 3 days through Laos to get to Chiang Mai, I didn't know!

After he seemed satisfied embarrassing me in front of other guests, he came back and said we couldn't stay as long as we wanted to unless we moved into an air-con (double the price) room. Later I heard him tell other guests they had non-air-con rooms available.

If it wasn't for him, I would give this hotel all 5 stars. Stay here, only if you stay away from this front desk man! Or get everything in writing if you do have to deal with him! What a nightmare!

Room Tip: Views are better from higher floors. (obviously)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple