“Do not expect any service”

Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #66 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel only for one night. The reception looks nice, clean and cozy, however, the receptionist will require to copy your credit card even if you pay for the room ahead. The reason is that they want to be sure that you do not steal from the minibar without paying. Actually, before leaving the hotel the next morning, the staff checked the room whether everything was present... We did not like this approach and felt as if we were not trustworthy enough. This has happend neither in the other hotel in Chiang Mai nor in other places in Thailand.

We booked a taxi from the reception, we were told that the rate is 150 BHT. The other morning, the other receptionist told us that we did not confirm the taxi in the evening (we were not told to) and therefore, it was cancelled. The "morning rate" for the taxi was 200 BHT.

The room itself is ok, the bathroom was clean. There is no lift. As the hotel is located on a busy street, it tends to be noisy at night. The location itself is great, next to Thapae gate.

1  Thank Frfloska
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear our valued customer,
First of all we like to apologize for the misunderstanding about our hotel credit card policy. Our staff may express it in a wrong phrase. By asking for your credit card means that you are committing yourself to pay for the charges that may occur during your stay with us. When our hotel takes your credit card information, it's not immediately charging you. For transportation you must have not read in our room and website on price offer which we have made clear on timing and customer need to book and make payment for confirmation.
Once again on my behalf i am sorry for the inconvenience that my staff may have caused during your stay. We hope to be the best service for you in future.

There are newer reviews for Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is my second review of this hotel and it is still excellent. Stayed for 10 days and we were made to feel as if we were at home. Rooms are good and clean location of hotel could not be better close to restaurants and on the door step for the Sunday walking market.Staff are excellent and very friendly.Breakfast could be better buffet style would be a good idea.Will be staying again next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Our Precious Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind words. Love to hear that it is your second visit at our hotel. I will be passing on your feedback to my team. I was delighted that you liked your overall experience our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a small hotel near the centre of Chiang Mai. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. The room was a good size and clean, however housekeeping tended to forget to restock the coffee and toilet paper, and towels one one occasion, which were later delivered without having to request them. The bed is also extremely firm. The hotel is next to a temple and is within walking distance of many more. Sunday night markets are right outside the door. My partner enjoyed several massages within the hotel, prices are good. There is an attached restaurant with good food, but does not seem to be open for dinner. This is not an issue as there are quite a few places to eat within a few minutes walk. Free internet which is great

1  Thank bje2000

Dear Our Precious Guest,
I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very pleased to read your review concerning our housekeeping service about tissue, coffee and towel. I have already ask my general manager to investigate our housekeeping department of this issue. Now corrective action has been taken by using house keeping check list. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked the hotel through their website and got 10% discount. I stayed three nights there and really didn't want to leave.
The hotel was so beautiful, you could have a temple view from the window of your room and the Sunday walking street is right in front of the hotel. Their staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
You can choose american, continental or asian breakfast as you like which were all quite delicious serving with their charming smile.
By the way, you might want to join a trip as they were trying to talk you into it, for example, the Inthanon Mountain trip. (It's worth it because the mountain is quite far and the tour was just 1000THB discounted from 1200THB.) It could spare yourself the guilt of saying no to those smiling faces.

Room Tip: Not the rooms by the sunday walking street coz they might be loud at nights. Choose the ones where y...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Agnes Y
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing Nimman Mai? Design Hotel on your visit this october. I will be passing on your feedback to my team. I was delighted that you liked your overall experience our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our stay was for two days while we looked around Chaing Mai. Airport Taxi's knew the hotels location and cost of 120B (£2.30) for the taxi ride. Arrived at midday and room was just ready. Check in was quick and easy and reception staff pleased to see us and offered us a drink while copying passports etc. Room was on the 4th floor and was really nice, clean and in a traditional Thai design as per there web site shows. Tea light burner was on when we opened the door and the room was clean and fresh. Fridge had products and also white wine, though there was no pricing for the wine. A/C was good. Bathroom was clean and fresh. Electric shower was OK. Towels clean and fresh. Would totally recommend this small hotel. They offer massage in the reception area and even have those foot eating fish. Next door and as part of the Parasol is the small bar/cafe offering breakfast and food during the day.
Free Wifi throughout the hotel, though Expedia web site says there is a charge. No extra charges were added either. The hotel has no lift which was no problem for us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Obiwanknobi

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will be passing on your feedback to my team. I was delighted that you liked your overall experience our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I love this place. It was the first time i stayed in a guesthouse rather than a hotel and i fell in love with this place. You can't expect the facilities of a hotel but you can expect a more warm service and intimate atmosphere than in a hotel. The room is big and clean, the breakfast is lovely and the price is good. The location is fantastic, right in the centre of old chiang mai, you can watch the sunday night market from your windows, a very cool thing. It has every reason to be the best value hotel in chiang mai.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank smmrxia
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we provided everything that you needed. I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, clean rooms and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The first thing you would probably notice in the lobby of the hotel as you enter are the words 'Service with a Smile'. All the staff of the hotel right from the the front desk to the maintenance and restaurant staff truly reflect the words in the lobby. They were all truly helpful and always smiling.

The hotel itself is centrally located close to many a cultural location. Rooms are compact, but very clean and well decorated.

There are range of options available to both the active traveller as well as those looking for a relaxing break. A number of excursions and massage programs are available. Though the staff do promote the services, what made me feel comfortable was that they were not pushy.

Overall a great experience and would highly recommend this to anyone looking for good value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VivianRobert

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased you notice our goal 'Welcome with smile, service by heart". I have a great team here and will pass on your kind words to them.

I hope to be able to personally welcome you to the hotel on your next stay with us which I hope is in the near future.