“A little tired but still a gem”

Parasol Inn Hotel by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #73 of 720 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Luang Prabang, Laos
“A little tired but still a gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Perfect location in the old city right on (Sunday's) Walking Street, quirky hotel with character, a bit tired, cleaning of a high standard, good value, service great, food great, overall a great place to stay, would stay again. Around the corner the "Writers Restaurant & Wine Bar" top place and great value, for something special the French restaurant 75 meters away, opposite the Buddhist Temple and College, a little dearer but A1 in all respects.

Room Tip: The larger rooms are better, stayed there twice once large, once smaller, the beds are good but not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tazzie6
parasolinn, Owner at Parasol Inn Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Honor Guest,
I was delighted to read your review; it’s always a pleasure to receive positive feedback! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We picked this hotel based on pictures and reviews knowing just that we wish to stay in old city and pay an affordable (though not strictly budget) price. Parasol went above our expectations on all accounts. We picked an "Ancient Parasol" type of room and received a perfectly clean and tastefully decorated room with traditional furniture. The room itself does not have a window, i.e. it does but it opens into a bathroom that in turn has a window overlooking an active Buddhist temple next door. A little weird design but it did not bother us in any way. In the morning you will be woken up by small bells and prayers. Provided breakfast is standard fare but tasty and fulfilling. Location is fantastic, smack in the center, at the intersection of two major roads (little traffic so no noise problems) and should you stay here on Sunday, major market is right at your doorstep. everything else is just a short walking distance away.

What makes this place stand out head and shoulders however is service. Front desk girls (we met Nim and Danil) are fabulous. They went out of their way to point out attractions and places to eat. They also booked all our trips, negotiated discounts everywhere and even managed to book a rafting trip (that we forgot to book earlier) overnight!

Only remark I have is that bed was really hard.

Dear Our Honor Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent visit at Parasol Inn Hotel. I was pleased to read that your experience with our location, morning prayers, food and the service of our staff exceeded your expectations; in particular with our Ancient Parasol . We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was visiting Wat Phra Sing (a monastery) for a couple of weeks at the beginning of June. With my aunt, who speaks Thai, we started at the Wat and looked at every hotel and guesthouse on the way to Wiangkliang intersection. We also checked most other places within two blocks of the Wat. Why did I stop looking at the Parasol Inn? Because I was greeted by the beautiful English and sincere smiles of the staff. Nim was outstanding and made me feel welcome, and we negotiated a longer-term rate. Then I asked to see a room. I was shown other rooms before room 201 (see pictures). Stop right there, Nim, I am sold! A room covered in original paintings and decoration, good furniture, excellent Thai bed, clean, well appointed and a view out the bathroom windows to the monasteries behind and around the hotel. We finished discussing price and I moved in that afternoon during a monsoon. As I held my case and bags above the knee deep water and stepped up onto the curb at Parasol, a swarm of gentle bees spilled out, took my things and ushered me inside. I felt welcome.
Since there is staff 24 hours a day, in coming and going, I got to meet all of them. In fact I enjoyed discussing English with them so much, we took a couple of trips to a sister hotel (same owner) and met their new staff too. It was a blast!
Nim did another especially amazing thing for me when she set me up to visit Elephant Nature Park (don't confuse the names with other elephant centers). It was the most amazing experience of my life. Visiting and interacting with elephants who had been rescued. Thank you, Nim!
The morning breakfast was a bit different for me. With food allergies, I had to ask for a "special" breakfast, which just excluded things I couldn't eat, so most days I would have eggs and rice or fish soup (fish and rice only). You really should pay for a smoothie, made right there from fresh fruit. They're excellent! Mr. Sai and Ms. Phon the servers, Ms. Nee the cook, and the manager Ms. Beer did so much to accommodate me, I can't thank them enough. Without them, I would have been sick for most of my trip.
Let's run down a quick list.
*Towels - clean and fluffy.
*Bedding - clean and fresh, no stains.
*Bathroom - supplied with liquid hand soap, body and shampoo liquids in the shower - the dispensers are nice and neater than little bars.
*Bed was comfy for a Thai bed - different country=different beds - I never woke up sore.
*TV - more than sufficient, plenty of English channels (sometimes in the heat of the day, you may want to retreat to your cool room).
*Overall noise levels - I was in 201, and everybody has to go past 201 to get to their room, stairs or not, and I was never woken up by people in the halls.
*Staff - housekeeping always cleaned when I was gone, no matter what my schedule, front desk always had an answer - they helped me send out my laundry: good choice! Nim, Ning, Tal, thank you! Lala, who gave me a couple of rides, thanks for a safe, comfortable ride and excellent conversation.
*Breakfast (included) - good choice of eggs, meats, toast, etc., plus Asian breakfast option. The view from the restaurant of everyone rushing about in the streets is hypnotizing.
*Rates - very comparable to the area. Be sure you compare apples to apples, this is not a guesthouse. If you need a bigger room, or like the look of a different room, spring for it! You're only paying $35-40 bucks - live it up a little and spend $45!

And finally, I will tell you one last thing. The people make the hotel. I felt cared for, I felt a part of their family. Even if you just want someone to stop to ask a question of, or find your place on the map, or arrange a tour, you should really talk to Nim and the front desk staff. You can trust them, absolutely.

You'll like the Parasol Inn.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms are the same, in fact few are. Look at the decor (ask for a hand painted room i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DiskOrDisc
Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you very much my very dear guest for your kind comment. And especially for adding all good details of our services. I will surely share this with my staffs. I was pleased to read that your experience with our location, cleanliness, food and the service of our staff exceeded your expectations; in particular with all details. We look forward to welcoming you back .
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

this is the most amazing relaxing place that I ever been to. My freind recommanced me to stay at Parasol Inn just for perfect location as heart of Chiangmai old city. Warming welcome , freindly , and helpful staffs as original Chiangmai hospitality that i had very impressed and i cant leave Chiangmai because of this place. the room is nice and good value we have all facilities we need and have a good sleep every night. around this hotel such a perfect location 2 steps walk to the restaurant and bars; juice shop, Spa, Cloths shop, tour agency and every thing aroud you. On Sunday everning you will enjoin walking street all so cheap !!. we rent the moto bike and ride around old city then have a good massage cheap and good job.

I really want to come back again soon and only this place will make my trip more convenience and good service.

Thank you all staffs and K. Nim the manager with beautiful smile.

Room Tip: Location is perfect!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you for your thoughts and comments of the hotel during your recent stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the rooms, location, views around, the staffs service and the food. Your comments on Parasol Inn hotel have been very helpful and i will share this comments with my team. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you here again sometime soon.
US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel based on TA reviews and for the first time have been in complete disagreement and totally disappointed.  The pictures on the hotel website must be very dated because I found the property to be very worn, white walls stained gray in spots, cracked/chipped counters, holes in the wall tiling and ceiling. But really it was all the ants that bothered me - it was like an ant farm  in the room. Small ants running all around, the bathroom, room wall running out of the bathroom, on the wardrobe/closet doors, on the desk, on the tv, and even in the mini fridge! We came back after the first day and there s couple of ants that had gotten into a zipperseal/ziplock bag we had on the desk.  We also had a second room and saw small ants in the bathroom of that one as well - the problem seemed less severe than the other room, less ants, but larger ants. I understand the local environment is prone to insects but I don't expect to have such a serious issue in the rooms of the guesthouse. I just hope the ants aren't in my luggage and bags as well now.

Separately, service was fine. Breakfast (we only tried American) I found to be ample and not small or poor as other reviewers have noted. It is basic, coffee/tea, toast, eggs, choice of bacon/sausage/ham, and a small plate of fresh fruit but I think quite fair for an included breakfast of a hotel of this class.
Good location.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Our Honor Guest,
Thank you for placing feedback and taking the time to do so. I really value your comments and take these on board to improve our facilities and services. Sorry for the inconvenience on your recent visit at our Parasol Inn. I will be reviewing about the ants problem but as you know ants comes in humid weather plus it is a rainy season in Thailand. We have had maintenance to a check on the comments about our worn out rooms but i guess our staff did their best in changing you to the new rooms. It would be great if other guests see the same problem but unfortunately I don't get any other bad reviews cause that would make me take action right away. All guests comments are my goal in running a good hotel so thank you once again.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great location Sunday markets on your door step and the beautiful historical Chiangmai all around u. The hotel is in a perfect location with massages restaurants and tourist shops all around this hotel. The rooms were so nice and clean and the staff were so friendly and helpful. I rented a bike from them and went all over this old city

Room Tip: Rent their bike and travel Chiangmai
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Inn Hotel by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Our Honor Guest,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you love our leisure around the hotel location, our room and especially our staff. Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback!
Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Excellent small hotel in the heart of old Chaing Mai. Right on the doorstep for the Sunday walking market. Good cafe's and restaurants close by.
Staff were first class very good English. Breakfast ok, rooms have nice decor bed comfortable.
Have booked again for November.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed ok
Dear Our Honor Guest,
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Parasol Inn in November.