“Great location & great people”

Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #73 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The Parasol Inn is perfect.
The day after we checked in we extended our stay an additional week. It's THAT good.

It's situated in the Old City (within the ancient moats, gates and walls), so darn near everything you would like to see/buy/eat in Chiang Mai is within walking distance.

Ancient Parasol rooms overlook the grounds of Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Pan Tao, including the fountain behind Pan Tao and the Pagoda behind Chedi Luang, giving you one of the best views you could ask for in Chiang Mai. The rooms themselves are very clean and are decorated nicely in a "lanna style". Hey, who wants a room that looks like it came out of an Ikea catalog when you're in Thailand?

The staff were top notch. They helped us arrange our tours (check out Something Different Tours), and re-arrange them when we needed to change the dates. When I hurt my arm (I'm just clumsy) Ning was genuinely concerned for me. When we had questions, they had answers. How much should we pay for a ride to the airport? Are there any late night pizza places and how do we get there?

On top of that, breakfast is included. Continental (toast, drinks, fruit), American (eggs, bacon/ham/sausage, toast, drinks and fruit), or Asian (boiled rice with chicken/pork/beef).

Directly next door is Wat Pan Tao, and next to that is Wat Chedi Luang. I highly recommend stopping by both of these, as they are beautiful, each in their own way. From 9-6pm, most days, Wat Chedi Luang has a "Monk Chat" where you can just go and hang out with the monks as they practice their English. From the entrance gate hang a right, and you'll see the signs and smiling men in orange just a short ways in.

On Sunday from 5pm to ~11pm the streets around the Parasol Inn shut down to traffic and turn into the famous Sunday Night Walking Market, where you can purchase almost anything. There's also a Saturday Night Market, just hang a right from the hotel's door and go straight until you see the Chiang Mai Gate (10 min). It's just on the other side of that gate. There's also an every-night Night Bazaar: go right from the hotel's door for about a block. There will be a crumbling stupa on your left (even if you don't know what that is, you'll know when yous see it), turn left there. Go straight and you'll be there within 20 minutes.

This was one of the best hotels I've stayed at because of it's service, style and location. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view, and the view is worth all those stairs. But there is no ele...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jessicognito
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Thank you for your great review on staying at our Parasol Inn on your recent visit in Chiangmai. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay plus our staff. I will share your comments with my team and thank you once again for your kind reviews.
All our team look forward to welcome you back in the future.
"Our goal is to satisfy our customer needs"

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Booked the hotel on Expedia on the day we wanted to say. It looks nice and was a reasonable price. It also offered confirmation for the room.

When we went to check in, we were met by the manager who nonchalantly said the hotel was full, and although they had our booking, they could not give us a room.

As if she was doing us a favour, she said she had booked another hotel for us.....which in reality was a dive. Obviously, she wanted to make some money, and so the alternative she was offering us was 30% cheaper than what we had paid.

She claimed there was a simple overlap between when we booked and them informing Expedia they were full......however I tried to book another room whilst in the Parasol reception, and i was still able to book a room.

I think this hotel is scamming people, and would not recommend anyone to book this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Abhis999
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed at the Parasol Inn for 8 days in January 2012. We love it, especially the very friendly, gracious and helpful staff.

Our room was great, spotlessly clean and nicely appointed. The bathroom was fine, and although it's probably due for an update, it was good enough for us!

We loved the location, especially for the Sunday Walking Market. The Parasol is also right next door to Wan Pan Tao, and waking to the sound of the monks chanting each morning was magical! Transportation around town from this location was very easy, as there are always a number of sonthaews and tuk tuks right in the street in front.

Our rate of about $45 (U.S.) also included a cooked to order breakfast served in their small restaurant and bar. It was a very good breakfast.

We were very happy with our stay at the Parasol Inn, and would highly recommend it. While it is certainly not a luxury property, it was a bargain, and the lovely staff made our stay just perfect!

One note: there is no elevator or lift, so if stairs with fairly high steps would present a problem, you might want to look elsewhere. I don't think there are any rooms on the ground floor.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Dear Our Precious Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Parasol Inn with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed all our services, location and felt so well attended to by our staff.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

Central location in the old town, with the Sunday walking market right outside. It is very clean, excellent beds and good sheets. Big bathroom with walk in shower area. Fridge in all rooms with complimentary water. Good TV. Tea and coffee in the slighter higher rate rooms. You are in walking distance of all the main sites. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful and most importantly, could help with pretty much any query. There are good restaurants and bars around and you can have foot massage at the hotel. We stayed here twice, when we first arrived in Chang Mai from Banhkok and then after we had been up country we stayed here again. Excellent value.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed at Parasol Inn for three nights in January. The hotel provided the basic amenities we came to expect in Thailand. The room and bathroom were large, clean and comfortable. The hotel provided free wifi and a choice of breakfast off the menu. A great way to power up before a day of sightseeing. The location was fantastic, right in the heart of the old town. It is also along the same road as the Weekend walking market. We were not there for either however. You can also easily access all of the main temples and the Night Market is about a 10-15 minute walk. Service was always pleasant and the night man even comped me some internet time when the free wifi was down.
We booked a few things through the hotel with mixed results. First off the hotel arranged for pickup from the airport and quoted us around 350 Baht for three of us. The airport turned out to be very close to the hotel and taxis into town advertised at 120 Baht total! I asked the receptionist and she claimed the price was higher because it was late at night. Poor excuse if you ask me. We also inquired about a day tour for hiking, elephant riding, white water rafting etc. The hotel quoted us 1000 Baht per person, so we decided to ask agencies nearby. The prices varied from 900-1000, so it seemed the hotel was not marking up the price. On our last day we also booked a truck to take us to Doi Suthep. The receptionist negotiated a solid price after some prodding from me and I was able to convince the driver to take us to the airport for 100 Baht total! A far cry from the 300+ we were charged on the way in, but such is life when traveling.

Overall I would definitely recommend Parasol.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Dear Our Precious Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Parasol Inn with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed all our services and felt so well attended to by our staff. For taxi transfer is a hotel policy so we are sorry for the trouble. We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Booked the room about 6 months ago, reminded the hotel many times that I would reach Chiang Mai airport on 25 dec 1130pm, so I should be picked up as it should. Sadly to say, I was not able to see any driver holding my name upon arrival. I called hotel, & they tell me the driver was going to be late?? I was angry but was at their mercy as it was so late. When the meter taxi driver arrived with my name poster in his hand, he refused to come in to the airport to help me with my baggage, instead told me to bring the baggages to his taxi???!!! I was shocked that this kind of service standard from Chiang Mai hotel rendered to me. Very angry, was unable to sleep the entire night as the room was very noisy as well as my room was 201 the first room from the staircase. Lame excuses was given to me next morning, as the supervisor said that they was engaging external service in night & sort of unable to ensure the service standard from external party??!! Well I was being charged 450 baht for airport return transfer services, so I do expect some service standard here. Well just my luck. Stayed only 1 night. The breakfast was waited for 15min, 1 egg & 1 strip of bacon & 2 slices of bread. Please avoid 201 & 301 these 2 rooms are nearest to the staircases & will be definitely passby by other guests at the same level. Just beware if you're booking the room there. Upon checking out, I went to Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel which cost me 1800baht. Where as Parasol Inn cost me 1790baht, which the differences of 10baht, do yourself a flavour, choose a 4 star hotel with big pool & great buffet breakfast rather than a trying hard to be 'boutique' hotel with the worst kind of services standard in Thailand.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Carolben9
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

Dear Our Precious Guest,

First of all i would start by saying thank you very much for your comments also for sharing your experience about third party taxi. We want you to know that we have just hired a new third party and refuse to use this old company we can not put our business in others hand. As a manager would really apologize for all the trouble and now in the process of re-training all of our front desk staff to ensure that this type of encounter does not happen in the future.

Service is of ultimate importance to us and we want you to know that we have heard you and are responding to your feedback. If you have the opportunity to stay in Parasol Inn again, please consider staying with us again and re-evaluating we promise to give the best in return.
One more point we would like to let you notice is that we are listed as Bed & Breakfast not Boutique Hotel as you mention.
Once again we apologize of for any inconvenience.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

Wonderful experience at this hotel from the moment I was picked up at the airport until I left (eight days later)! The staff were wonderful, very knowledgeable, and always available and willing to help. It was some of the best customer service I have ever experienced, even compared to other stays at four and five star hotels. The location is great - inside the old part of the city and within walking distance to many temples, markets, restaurants, etc. Plus, it's quiet and safe at night. The room was comfortable, very clean and the shower offered good water pressure (and hot water!), which isn't often the case in Thailand. This hotel is an amazing value for the money. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Great location and value!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
parasolinn, Manager at Parasol Hotel Chiang Mai by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We will pass on your comments to our team. They will be delighted to read them. I am sure they will help us to keep and even improve our commitment to guest service.
We would like to say thank you very much for your comments and we really do appreciate that you have had a good time while staying with us. As you know that all or staff works like we are a family and we do hope that all our customers will also feel in the same way. We try our best to make sure that our guests feel like they are living with their family in peaceful place. The happiness and of our guest are the main concern that we always keep in our mind and thus it led to the best perform and the best we offer to all customers.

Best Regards,