“Super quiet, super clean and excellently located!”
Review of Glur Chiangmai

Glur Chiangmai
Ranked #59 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The hotel is superbly located on the edge of the old city, just opposite the old iron bridge. Five minutes away ( walking) are the night market, all the major hotels, restaurants and bars.
The hotel is beautifully kept and the rooms are cleaned thoroughly everyday ( which does not happen in many hotels).
The hotel has the feel of a Marrakech riad.... The rooms are set on two levels around the swimming pool and there are comfy seats scattered around the pool.
The only drawback was there was only one choice of breakfast ( fry up only) which was overpriced.
Staff were delightful even if their English was very limited. I wiould definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spaghetti71

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is the first even vaguely negative hotel or restaurant review I have ever posted on this site , but I have never been so disappointed in a hotel! Having read the glowing reports dating from 2008/2009, I began to wonder if I was even in the same hotel. Sure, the exterior is attractive, with a nice pool and pool furniture -- so first impressions were quite good. The standard room I was allocated (in what appeared to be a worryingly empty hotel , at a time when virtually every other hotel in Chiang Mai was FULL!) was spacious, with OK furnishings but ghastly, dingy green paintwork and an unappealing view over a neglected, overgrown plot of land. Both the room and the shower/ toilet area were clean and well maintained each day and the bathroom fittings were modern. The bed was very comfortable. However, the fridge was totally empty, there was no information whatsoever in the room about any guest services, there was a nice kettle but no tea/coffee/mugs to drink it out of. There was no in-room safe -- I tried on 2 consecutive days to ask at Reception for use of a safe box there and was met with clueless incomprehension by staff whose English ranged from non-existent to minimal! I had to carry passport, air tickets and other valuables around with me for the entire 3 days of my stay.Breakfast was not included in my package, though for the price it certainly should have been! I tried to ask if I could buy it there and again struggled to make myself understood, so went elsewhere (CAFE CREMA, on Loi Kroh does wonderful breakfasts!). The dining area was not particularly appealing, in any case -- tables covered in grey-white nylon cloths, reminiscent of shower curtains, and not laid, as if no guests were expected there. It became obvious that it was not even worth bothering to enter the separate block which housed Reception, as the running of the Front desk was directionless and lacking in professionalism . For a woman travelling alone, the service and welcome offered by a hotel's staff is important. -- I have never felt so unwelcome or so uncared for in any other hotel. Obviously, all the people running this place are interested in is the payment for the accommodation. Sadly, I had to pay up-front -- otherwise I would have left after the 1st night. I would definitely not go back and I cannot, in all honesty, recommend it to others. There are far, far better options in Chiang Mai for the money -- I just wish they had not been full when I was trying to book and then I would have avoided Tea Vana!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank thailover1317
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed for 1 night due to a room mix up at another Hotel. The room was very clean, far back from the street and super quiet. The hotel is located just minutes walking from the night market, shopping, old town and Rimping market. We couldn't have asked for a better location. The hotel has all amenities except for a restaurant and pool service. Breakfast was offered which consisted of Bacon & Eggs, toast ,coffee, juice and milk. Not sure why hotel has not caught on but i think after a few reviews people will fill this place up, especially for value received vs cost. If you want quiet during the day, pool to yourself and no kids this is the place to be. Wished they had a lock box in the room rather than using their safe. The only down sides for us was lack of in room safe and English wasn't very good at Reception.
Yes we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of complex for the quietest room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed during end of aug early sept for 4 nights. Really quiet and peaceful hotel. The staff were so helpfull really went out there way for us, we only seen one other couple at the hotel during our stay but I found that great as we had the pool and loungers all to ourself. It's also really quiet of a night. The bed was so comfy. And in a ideal location. Close to everywhere. It is a family run hotel and they are very quick to attend your needs. For the price we paid I thought it was one of the better hotels to stay in, in Chiangmai.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Iluvmarley
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Let's start with the good things: nice garden, nicely decorated rooms and very nice bathroom.

But try to make reservation: confirmation was for a different type of room (one which did no even exist on their homepage), in a different currency (USD instead of THB) and when you show up in the hotel they forgot that you just booked two days ago.

They were chaotic, had no plan what to do now and we had to wait for half an hour before we could move to our room which smelled terrible (used to much room spray). I think it was not the problem with the availabiltiy of rooms as we just saw one other couple during our stay.

The safe did not work and was just carried away and replaced by two others before the last one finally worked (i felt very secure when the first safe was carried away). The remote control for our TV did not work neither and had to be replaced as well.

There is not much warm wather in the shower (enough for 30 sec) and you need lots of time as there is only littel water dripping out of that sprinkler.

Breakfast is every day the same - eggs made in three different ways. Toast is o.k. but good luck if you are in a hurry: the staff is amazingly slow (30 min. for eggs).

Staff is the worst I ever saw: no one at the reception desk, a boy helplessly running around intending to help you but he is definitely not trained at all and his english is killing you. There is another guy just sitting around and being nothing else than cute & handsome (!). He seemed to be the boss but slept or went away when we went to reception desk.

Oh - and forget to pay by credit card. The terminal is broken (?) and you have to pay cash. This terminal has not been repaired during our 3 days stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kohlmi
Reviewed March 9, 2010

When Thais try to do a boutique hotel, it's invariably owned by people who are NOT hoteliers and it shows. It's difficult to totally recommend this place because the owners just dont seem to "get it". I get the impression that the place is not doing well. I'd say it was never over 15% occupied whenever I was there and I never saw anyone in the adjacent tea rooms or dress boutique and I can understand why.

Firtsly, let me say that its a great little place, great location, not bad value, stylish/chic, nicely appointed. I would recommend it for a nite or two. No more than 3.....because there are simply no places to relax and chill. The common areas are either too small, occupied by the owners, or too uncomfortable.

My guess is that this place is owned by a wealthy Thai-Chinese family (very common for a boutique hotel in Thailand), who treat the place like their own little private hangout, rather than a service driven hotel (also very common). The family will play cards in the small lobby or eat a communal dinner there....making the guest feel like they are interupting when u go to ask for something at the front desk. And who do you ask? Nobody has a uniform or name badge.The distinction between guest and staff becomes blurred and that is simply unacceptable in a hospitality business. If you are a wealthy family and you own this hotel as a little hobby, then u would see nothing wrong with eating a meal or playing cards by the front desk. "This is my hotel...I own it.....it's mine, I can do what I want" would be the thinking. But for a guest...it's just plain wierd.

If you are NOT a hotelier, then u fail to put into place some of the basic systems that hotels require. Curtain cords dont get replaced when they fall off.....mini bar foods fall months out of date....the swimming pool gets very cloudy.....there were no plug sockets anywhere near my desk in my luxury room. And there was a constant problem with both the wifi and hot water in some rooms (including mine). The latter was a disaster and was not fixed during the 3 months that seperated my 2 stays. The staff are well aware of the problem....but seem to take the attitude that its just something the guests should put up with. Consequently a bath took 40 minutes to run and the shower was unusable because of the huge temperature fluctuations.

I would love to recommend this place, its a lovely little space in a great location.....but it wont survive because it is not being propely managed. On the final day I did meet the family son who was charming and extremely helpful.....jumping on a scooter and taking me to the local bank to get some dollars for my visa run that day.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed in Chang Mai at the Tea Vana for 4 nights. It is a short walk (10 mins over the bridge) to the night market. There seemed to be very few people staying in the hotel during our visit and we were extremely well looked after. The hotel has a quaint boutique feel about it - it has been done in a very tasteful chinese theme and everything appears to have been created and continues to be looked after with care. The rooms are not large but again are quaint. The pool area is great for relaxing after a day walking around the city. I particularly liked reading my book on the huge poolside swings! The hotel is fairly quiet and is just outside the hustle and bustle of the night market. I will continue to recommend this hotel to anyone who tells me they plan to visit Chang Mai.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple