“Still my prefered Guest House in Chiang mai”
Review of Tri Gong Residence

Tri Gong Residence
Ranked #123 of 747 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Perth
“Still my prefered Guest House in Chiang mai”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was our second stay at Tri Gong. This time we stayed for two weeks and really got to know the area well. Tri Gong is well positioned inside the Noth East corner of the old city and inside the moat. If you ask for "jaang si poom, soi neung" you will get there. Sorngtau (the red two bench trucks) ply the inner moat road in anti-clockwise direction. If you want to walk to the southern end of the square it is best to use the inside soi as these are rarely crowded. nearby to Tri Gong are a laundry, a sewing ladyand numerous food places and bars. For upmarket dining The House and Ginger are on Moon Muang and our favourite for well priced and excellent service was "Good", a Burmese family restaurant twenty meters from Tri Gong.

Tri Gong itself has soft (for Thailand) beds and private bathrooms. This is not a luxury place but well above a normal backpackers guesthouse. It is vey well run and the family, under the patriarch Sam, are welcoming and speak good English. Sam is a well informed and highly intelligent man with a wide range of interests. I miss our morning chats.

Rooms are adequate and good value. This is a good choice for families. I can also say that we never had pressure to go on trips but I know that the ones they can book for you are carefully chosen and the best that Chiang Mai has to offer. I know Chiang Mai pretty well and have been on most of the trips at one time or another. Unfortunately, in my early visits I made a few mistakes and this would not of happened if I had gone through Tri Gong. The Tri Gong staff are about offering an honest good value service and for this alone I would highly recommend them. I shall be going back to them on my next trip. For the price they charge I don't hesitate to give them 5 stars.

Room Tip: This place has a ground floor and one upper floor. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Hello everyone,
I had to find very quickly an Hotel in Chiang Mai, and this one is so welcoming, so peaceful, in the heart of a nice neighbourhood where the food is so good!.
I had a problem, I was late to take my train, stock in the trafic jam. I called the owner and he came himself to bring me a tuktuk with my baggage somewhere in town. We drove fast through the city and finally took the train on time thanks to him.
One million time THANK YOU!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here because it was recommended by fellow travellers and it's not really our style.

For budget backpacker accommodation it;s very good. If you're looking for somewhere with lots of facilities, this isn't the place though the location is absolutely first class inside the old city walls.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrey R
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

There's nothing too wrong with this place. You are in the backpacker ghetto that is the north east corner of the old city but it does mean you have lots of bars and cafés nearby. It never really feels very authentic round there though.
Room was clean with unlimited drinking water which was great but the ground floor rooms are around a patio area so you feel you have to keep the curtains shut and it was sometimes quite noisy.
The dogs are cute and really friendly, never had a problem with them

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grant_UK
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I've stayed at TriGong many times over the years but have lost many nights of sleep to the barking dogs. I've spoken to Adam the manger and Duey who I think is his son. They won't do anything about it and in fact have gotten 3 of their own dogs now. So I finally gave up on this place and moved down the street to another place. Too bad b/c it's a great location and they have the only soft beds I've ever found in Thailand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tucsonmassageman
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights. For the price the rooms are big and clean. The location is good and the staff are very helpful. They went out of their way to help us (by returning my wallet to me in another city when I left it behind) and the atmosphere is perfect for a chilled out few days in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I think that for what its worth the place is really good. The rooms are small and so is the bathroom but it is just enough to live in. In fact more than enough since it does include a fridge plus air conditioning and its own television. They even clean your room and give fresh new towels and throw your trash out for you. Not all residences do this.

We are staying here for the Loy Krathong festival and the front desk people are very accommodating and can even speak to us in English or Japanese which made our stay easier since in Thailand many people don't speak English. I would recommend this place since it is very quiet here but very close to restaurants and places of interest around Chiang Mai.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family