“Julie has the spirit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Julie Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Julie Guest House
Ranked #159 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Nitra
“Julie has the spirit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

I reserved three nights in advance during Flower festival at julie.it is great place to chill out, nice restaurant, helpful staff.Really great place.we wanted to stay two more nights but they were full, so book early!

• Liked — close to everywhere, nice staff
  • Disliked — the room wasnt sparkling clean
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This place is perfect at what is does. We stayed a total of 4 nights in 2 different double rooms with bathroom (220 and 300 Baht) - both clean and adequate. Chill out areas are fab.

The staff are extremely helpful and do not push particular courses. We did a cooking course at the Thai Farm which was brill, and did one of the overnigt treks (they reserved a room for our return). All booked for us. Easy.

Breakfast was brilliant and such good value!

This is a backpackers joint, and for less than 300 Baht you can't expect a palace - but we loved this place and Chiang Mai.

• Liked — Cheap and quality
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

This was one of my favourite places in s.e.asia. Was really friendly food was great and we met some awsome people. We booked a trek and cooking course through them and they were both excellent. We also hired mopeds and drove to pai, do it it was so much fun but the roads are very windy so dont if you have no experience. When we went to pai they lloked after our main backpacks so we only had to take a few things with us.

It is such good value for money but the rooms are basic. At this price you do not get all your creature comforts but we stayed in a en-suite and a shared shower room and found both to be fine. If you are expecting a luxury hotel dont stay here but if you are on a budget then i could not recommend a better place.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Julies in March, and found the room to be decent especially for the price. 350 Bhat per night.
We had en suite which probably helped with the experience compared to people that share the facilities.

The room was clean, although we chose to use our own sheets.
I could tell that the sheets were washed, but were noticeably worn.
This property has a nice lounge area in the back which was great in the mid afternoon when it was just too hot to be out and about.
The bathroom has a western toilet with a shower in the same area which is to be expected. It was fine, but at times the water smelled a little funny, but it soon passed if you let it run a bit.

The breakfast was always good. I loved the croissants they served hot. It was also interesting with the honor system they have in place.
You just fill in whatever you have taken from the fridge in a book under your room number, and they add in any food you have ordered. You then pay at the end of your stay with the room bill.

I think regarding the last guests comments (assuming you were planning to check out and not pay for the nights you were away on your trip), they probably got upset because they ask guests to inform them the night before if they are leaving. They hold rooms for guests coming in, and do turn people away if they are not informed that the room will be open. There were line ups of people trying to get in each morning when I was there.
It may seem rude, but it's still a business, and that rule did not seem too unreasonable. Most places would just take your money in advance and not give it back if they were holding a room for you. (If this is not the case then my apologies.)

Over all the stay was better then expected. I was a bit concerned following the last couple reviews, but I went in figuring it would just be an inexpensive no frills kind of place to rest my head.
We did hear some people one upping their travel stories to each other, but we chose to just laugh and move on. Obviously those people just need to prove something to themselves. It shouldn't really reflect the place as a whole. Also no bugs to be seen, which I heard was an issue at some places.

My suggestion is to just take the en suite rooms, bring your own sheets and you should be fine. Just having the fan was bearable even in the hot season. Some of the AC units we saw in town were in much worse shape then the rooms at Julies and cost a lot more.

On a side note though, make sure to be very careful with your belongings at the massage places around the area.
I thought I was being safe having my bag right beside me, but I felt that the masseuse was going through my things while I was turned the other way. (She seemed distracted while giving the massage the second my head was turned, and then all of a sudden needed to go for two minutes.) I ended up checking my bag and did not see my wallet in the bag. The woman came back and saw me looking and I just said I was looking for my lip gloss. We went back to the massage, but I turned around and she quickly picked up my purse and put it in front of me. Then my wallet happened to be right on top of my things in my purse when I checked it at the end. Very fishy?
This was a massage place very near Julies.
I cannot really prove for certain that anything was taken there, but a travelers cheque did go missing that day which was a very strange coincidence. I just don't know why that, and not just cash if it was taken.

I won't really ever know, and I canceled the cheque just in case, Just take it as a warning, make sure things like that are always in your sight not just near you no matter how legit the place looks. Better safe then sorry, even if nothing did happen there.

On a lighter note, we really enjoyed going to the Elephant Nature Park while in Chiang Mai. You can book at their office just a short walk away on the end of Ratchamanka road near the moat. Some travel agencies will tell you they are full, or not available because they don't get a commission, so it is best to go directly to their office to book.
It is a bit more expensive then some tours, but I felt it was worth it. If you love just seeing and interacting with happy animals acting naturally then this is the activity for you. Very laid back, and a great experience. You wont ride them, but that can be boring anyway, and it's great to know that these elephants have been saved from unhappy lives.

Also you need to try a cooking class. We did one with the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School out at the owners house. It was great as well.

• Liked — The relaxed atmosphere, the price
  • Disliked — could be slightly cleaner. It would be nice if they had the option of AC for a higher price.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Munich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2008

We booked for 5 nights at this guesthouse. After the first night, we decided to go on a trip and when we were picked up by our tour operator in the morning, the guy at the guesthouse saw us and gave us 5 minutes to leave our room. We literally were kicked out because as he said "No money, not interested. Go!".
They did not even allow us to leave our backpacks in their reception!!

Dirty, place, a shame for our so far experienced warm thai hospitality.

Stay away!!!

• Stayed March 2008

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Huelva, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2007

If you´re a posh hippy you may like it : most of the people there are youngsters trying to seem the hippiest guys in the world, pretending to be cool and interesting and talking about their unique adventures in Asia and so on. Just like a high school ...

Besides the place is dirty ( nice collection of petrified insects iun our sheets ) and due to the ultraslim walls you can easily take part in the conversations of your adjacent rooms.

Think it twice before choosing this place. There are so many better options in Chiang Mai ...

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank ElBou
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2007

When we first checked in, we were thinking about leaving cause the place felt so dirty. This is made for people who have been on the road for months, and want a place that feels as grungy and worn-in as they feel. We decided to stay however. Mistake. When we got back from a 2-day trek, turns out that they let our room to someone in the meantime. They did NOT however change the sheets. Same sheets as when we were there. I guess they could have just happened to put the same sheets back on the bed as before, after cleaning and washing them, but I doubt it. Furthermore, I left my cell phone in the room and was hoping when I came back that they might have set it aside. I knew I left it in the room because I used it as an alarm to wake us for the trek, but did not bring it with me in the trek and didnt pack it. Well, the head guy at the office got really stressed out and started yelling at me when I asked him to check for it, saying that it must be my fault, and his stafff would never take anything. Granted, my fault for leaving the phone, but Julie's fault for yelling at guests. All in all, a [--] place to stay.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple