“one of the best hostels i have ever stayed in”
Review of Julie Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Julie Guest House
Ranked #156 of 732 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
“one of the best hostels i have ever stayed in”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed unfortunately only two nights at Julie's but it was still an amazing experience. It is one of the hostels where you feel immediately comfortable, where you feel the welcoming backpacker vibe and where you will spend most of your time.. That is what happened to us. We spent literally almost all of our time at this hostel but didn't have the feeling of wasting it. We constantly met new interesting people, we never were alone on our table, day as night. the community areas (reception area, backyard, roof top) are so cosy and perfect to hang out. As all the dorms were fully booked, we got a two bed room with fan and private bathroom, for 150 baht each. it was really big actually and nicely decorated. even the fad did a very good job. if you want to meet people, go to julie's, you won't regret it! we were extremely sad to leave the hostel..

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I started at another guesthouse that had zero social environment, before switching to Julie's. I absolutely loved my stay here. It has a great open reception area with a restaurant and perfect hangout area, that people were congregated at at all hours of the day/night. I met several people within the first 20 minutes of walking in the doors. The staff was really helpful, and book activities for you. They have an honor system with the water/beer cooler where you can write down what you take and pay at the end of your stay. Rooms were clean & really cute. ALSO nice is that all the cab and tuk tuk drivers know where Julie's is, so that is helpful as well!

Room Tip: The only downside I would say that if you are a light sleeper it may be tough to sleep on the first...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I travelled South East Asia for 6 weeks and Julie Guest House was by far the best hostel I stayed in. There is an amzing Backpackers vibe. The staff are incredible, when we arrived they gave us a room striaght away without booking beforehand. They then booked all of our activities in Chiang Mai for the week. There was no hassle involved. The rooms are spacious but HOT. there is a tiny fan in each room which makes no difference when humidity is almost 90% but what harm. The food at Julies was delicious and the common room is so much fun. Everyone is friendly and there is a pool table etc for fun. Its in the centre of the city and they will call you a tuk tuk if you need to get anywhere. It is so cheap and they really go above and beyond what you pay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Julie Guest House was a great place to relax and meet lots of other travellers. There is a large social/bar/restaurant area out the front which has a constant flow of people to meet, along with a great 'honesty bar' and free pool table. There is also a relaxing garden out the back and quiet rooftop terrace also. Our room was next to the staff area/kitchen, which was pretty noisy at all hours, and also quite close to the social area, which was also quite noisy. The room wasn't amazingly clean and there is often a bad drain smell around the guest house, as other travellers have pointed out on TripAdvisor. Tour desk was good, where we booked a bus to Chiang Rai and a cookery course. A very large selection of excursions and transport available. Food was good, reasonably priced and quick. For the overall experience, we enjoyed staying here and it was a bargain at 220 baht for a double room with hot shower en suite.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I didn't actually stay at Julie's Guesthouse. That's the thing - these guys seriously need to figure out their reservation process so it's not so confusing. I came in the first time asking if there was availability, only to find out they were fully booked. The conversation went something like this: "So, when is the earliest night I can book a dorm bed?", I asked. "We have room 6 days out" she replied. "Ok - can I book for that date please?". "You actually have to call either about 3 days before, or on the day of in order to get the dorm bed", she told me. "So wait, how did all of these people end up staying here, they called the day of?". "No - they reserved ahead of time", the receptionist told me. "Ok....and that's exactly what I'm trying to do, you said that there's availability 6 nights out right? I'm trying to reserve that bed for a few nights." "Yes, but in order to reserve this bed you have to call on the day of at about 10:30 to get it". Of course, I tried calling several times over the course of a few days but had the same roundabout conversations with no success.

I had heard great things about this guesthouse and really wanted to stay here, but you guys seriously need to get a better hold on your reservations situation. Or you just need to train your receptionists on how to more clearly communicate what it is they tried to communicate to me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank cbg0927

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Julie guest house is cheap for Chiang Mai but don't expect too much. It was very noisy, not clean, bad smell all day long... There were constrution works inside the hotel all day long from 8pm until 9pm.
Very bad wifi, we connected to another nearby hostel.
The staff was upset when we checked out because we didn't buy anything else (drinks, food, tour...) from them.
The only good point is the price and the location.

We decided to leave for another hostel, cheap as well but much more clean and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cassoulol
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend on two separate occasions during our time in Chiang Mai. We payed £4 for a double room which was clean with towels provided. Due to the drainage system there is sometimes a bad smell that comes from the bathroom, but for £4 a night we didn't mind.

The hotel/hostel is a great place to meet other backpackers but I would recommend booking in advance as it is one of the cheapest and most popular places to stay in Chiang Mai. While staying here we booked Flight of the Gibbon and Whitewater rafting with the hostel, I would recommend doing both as they were amazing.

The staff at the hostel are really friendly and helpful. Eedie is amazing and so much fun to hang out with!

Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple