“Horrible staff, horrible staff... And you underatand cheap when you see the rooms”
Review of Julie Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Julie Guest House
Ranked #157 of 757 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've been there twice, and yes the second time I was praying for a better service than the first time but unfortunately I didn't get it.
First of all, you do not feel welcome when you arrive, everytime you go for a question, they look at you in a way you just want to turn around, if they know the answer, they will give it to you but don't expect a smile or anything more, if they don't know, do not count on them to try finding the answer.. Oh and if you dare asking if they could... Well enjoy the "i don't want to do it" kind of answer, if only they let you finish the question...
And I heard a few stories of people who couldn't extend their stay even though the rooms were not booked yet... Be prepaired to be kicked out if you want to stay a few days without booking a tour through them...
About the rooms, i wouldn't say clean but they are not dirty either... I am usually not difficult with bedding but here was probably the worst mattress I ever had (I didn't check if it was an actual mattress... And I speny over 4 months in asia so I think I've seen a lot with not so comfy beds)
Shared bathroom... Mmm, 2 for probably more than 20 people.
I'll stop here and say that the only good point is the lounge downstairs to meet people

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This place is well known, has a good reputation and is in high demand, to the extent that the staff don't need to bend over backwards to win the hearts and minds of guests. However, I spent 5 days there and found that overall its a cool place, is very good value for money, private rooms at 200 baht are great value. Also the social areas mean you can meet people and chat, we had some good times with Argentinian, Chilean , British , Aussie travellers. This place will appeal to anyone who will make the effort and wants to meet others. If you want solitude stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013
bangkok
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Can't believe what happened to me here! Firstly check in was a hassle for no reason, I wanted a private room but they kept trying to make me share with another girl also checking in for a private room. Eventually I got a room, sure it was cheap, but terrible mattress that poked me all night, dirty sticky floors, window that couldn't be closed and facing a brick wall with no light, and terrible noise at night thru the window from drinking in the common area and staff throwing out bottles. Horrible smells from the window in the morning. After seeing other guests store luggage, I asked if I could (while looking for new accom) but she responded 'no, why would we do that?' so I pointed at the stored bags behind her and she just shrugged and waved me towards them. But then on check out they tried to charge me for drinks I never had. I refused to pay for them, they seemed to realise there was a mistake and let me pay for the rest and leave. But a minute later while checking my map in the common area, the STAFF CAME AT ME YELLING 'I remember you, you order drinks from me at lunch, why you lie? Why you not pay?' in front of a heap of guests, pretty sure trying to embarrass/ bully me into giving them more money. I refused and explained I wasn't even in the country then so there was a mistake. She was very aggressive at me, kept yelling in front of everyone, refusing to let me leave, and eventually said 'we have you on camera, just pay!' so I asked to see the camera and sort it out, which stunned her but she went to it, flicked thru, then yelled at the other staff in Thai and stormed off. I think she realised her mistake, so I asked another staff if I could leave, they ignored me, so she ran back and yelled 'no, not until you pay!' and let the camera play from lunch, she told me I WOULD HAVE TO WATCH THE WHOLE DAY ON CCTV to prove it wasn't me. I went and grabbed my bag as I didn't trust them and just walked off. This place is a joke.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Just9603

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Seville, Spain
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hostel is not bad for the price it has, but we did not like at all. Our room, at least, was small and noisy, and not very clean toilet. The noise came from the own hostel as it is full of young people who spend the day or night in the patio.

Food is good, the staff is not very friendly but have good agreements with other agencies to do one day trips around, rent a motorbike, etc. We recommend it for this sort of things but definitely not for staying!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luisa E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Julie's place is very chilled, extremely cheap and a great place to book/research what day trips you want to do in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area as the staff are helpful and knowledgable.. You will no doubt meet lots of interesting people in the multiple chilled spaces provided by Julie's, where there is wifi, food and a pool table. It is in a good location within Old Chiang Mai town and a great place to rent scooters or bikes to explore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Durham
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Loved the atmosphere here, really easy to meet people. We stayed in a triple room which was basic but very very cheap. Would be great if the WiFi extended to the rooms. We also ate here and booked trips through the front desk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Some of the rooms are really cheap and not so bad for the price at all. It is a good location near the market where you can get breakfast/fruit/dinner cheaply. However, we the service at this guesthouse is really poor, the stuff was not helpful at all. We had the impression that they were bothering them everytime we asked about something.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple