“Loved it!”

Puripunn Baby Grand Boutique Hotel
Ranked #13 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Loved it!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic and charming hotel! The staff couldn't be nicer and provided a whole lot of extra "touches". I wish I could stay here for more than 1 night! The grounds are absolutely beautiful as are the rooms.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jennifer Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Point Lonsdale, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

An intimate boutique hotel, lots of Thai character and wonderful staff. We stayed for 6 nights and loved it. It's set back a bit from the hustle and bustle but still very conveniently located. That is based on taking local transport or like us, a scooter, you dont walk in Chiang Mai. It was a real treat to come back to our beautiful room with a garden path approach. It is everything the big hotels aren't and I can't speak highly enough of the staff. The breakfast was silver service literally and just right. You don't go there for the pool but it has a nice splash pool type setting to cool you down. If you want character and a great pool go to the Rati Lanna. If you are a light sleeper you will need earplugs as the plumbing is quite noisy. Also, if you want LCD TVs give this a miss. But if you want something with character, great value and great service Puripunn is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ground floor, we had 101 a great room. But you will hear those above you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a lovely hotel situated in a great location for exploring the Old City. Our room was very nice and the courtesy tuk tuk into town was a real bonus. The thing which lets this hotel down is the swimming pool area. On a couple of occasions there weren't enough sun beds, especially if you wanted one in the shade. The pool itself was also always very cold as it never got the sunshine. I would recommend this hotel if you want to be out all day exploring but if you plan to laze by the pool then much less so.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charlie_BBP
UK
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at the Puripunn for 10 nights and loved it. It had a calming and relaxing atmosphere and I felt very at home and well looked after by the attentive staff.

At breakfast they always remembered my preferences, such as how I liked my eggs done, and when I had dinner there they were considerate to point out if my meal choice might be too spicy for me and would offer to adapt it as necessary!

I liked the attention to detail in the rooms from the silk slippers to the flower placed on your bed at the night’s turn down service.

I stayed in one of the beautiful deluxe rooms on the first floor which was very comfortable and plenty big enough for me. I had a lovely seating area on the balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. I’d recommend treating yourself to a spa treatment or two –a Thai massage would be a good choice.

If I get the chance to visit Chiang Mai again, I’d definitely stay at the Puripunn again. It is probably one of my favourite hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Karen G
New York City
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This may be my favorite hotel in the world.

Property: The grounds are lovely and the rooms are beautiful. There was clearly a lot of attention to detail when planning this hotel. I think most rooms (if not all) have balconies/patios with fans which face the central garden/pool area. The pool is relatively small...but so is the hotel. We saw people laying out at various times of the day, but it was never got crowded.

Food: We arrived from Bangkok, where we learned all about small portions. So for lunch at Puripunn we ordered two entrees and an appetizer. Warning: This is a LOT of food! These are full sized dishes! One dish each would have been more than enough. Everything was delicious. Breakfast is lovely - eggs made to order and a variety of other choices.

Location - Hidden in a knot of small roads just a few blocks from the main tourist area. We were lucky enough to be in town for Loi Krathong and were able to walk to and from the celebrations with no problem (note: we're used to walking a lot at home, so some people may use vehicles more than we did). The area seems more like an urban residential area...shops, restaurants and bars that seem geared toward the locals rather than visitors (we never got the feeling we wouldn't be welcome...there just may have been a language barrier at some places).

Staff: This is where Puripunn really shines. Every member of the staff was incredible. They wanted to chat, they wanted to help...it's clearly important that their guests are happy. We opted not to join the holiday dinner at the hotel, but one gentleman (whose name I *wish* I remembered) gave us a lantern so we could bring it into town and send it off. He didn't have to do that...but he wanted to make sure we enjoyed our night out, and it was very much appreciated.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We couldnt fault this hotel the staff were welcoming and freindly from the gardner to the hotel owner they were all so freindly and welcoming and couldnt do enough for us. We were a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Night Bazaars and 5 to 10 minutes from the river restaurants. The rooms were fantastic, far better than what we expected. All in all the best hotel we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room on the ground level, thats what we had and we loved it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
cumbria
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Would probably give 3 and 1/2 points if available as better really than average but not quite very good. I wanted so much to love this place.
We loved the closed in feel of this hotel it really is a little bit of peace within the city and feels cosy and intimate. As many other reviews point out the attention to detail is good and the rooms are well equipped although dark. There are no drinks served around the pool and staff are rarely seen around the pool area. Although out of town, It really isn't far and we walked it in daylight but would not do that at night or at all on my own.
A few points let the hotel down. Firstly, the lack of accurate room info meant that we returned from a lovely evening out expecting a relaxing drink at the bar only to find it shutting up. It was about 10pm. The man did not speak very good english. When I rang reception it became clear that the room info was not accurate and we could not get a drink in the bar. We were told that room service was finished so we were offered a lift to the 7/11 ! Five *? Well maybe, they were trying hard to rescue the situation. But if the info had been right in the first place ......
The following morning at breakfast the owner came to apologise and offered complimentary cocktails. We went to the bar for these later that day after our tour and the same guy who had been shutting up the night before said we could have set cocktails from his mr and mrs list. I am not deliberately awkward but I did not like his "specials" so asked for one from the menu and a beer for my hubby. For some reason this was not going to be possible as the voucher was for his "specials" ..... And we would both have to have the same!! So what had been intended as a nice gesture ended up with another bad feeling. However, I did stick my ground and enjoyed two cocktails of my choice from the standard part of the menu.
Food at breakfast was fairly average, not a huge range but then with a small hotel this would not be very practical. Lunch was imaginatively presented and quite good value.
Warning! The beautiful slippers are recycled from guest to guest they apparently "deep clean" them. Not sure I'd have used them if I had known. Never had this before. Also If you are offered a spray for your room - it will appear on your bill.
If you are looking for somewhere to eat by the river then we ate at the Riverside twice. Gets noisy with live music later and may have to wait for a table but it is well worth it.
All in all The Puripunn is not yet very good but is better than average.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple