“Lovely friendly place, very comfortable with big bed”

Raming Lodge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Brisbane, Australia
“Lovely friendly place, very comfortable with big bed”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We were very happy at Raming lodge. There was a couple of free computers in the lobby (not very spacious for doing any work) but the people were friendly and the bed was huge. No view out the window. It was quiet. It was priced very well and clean. The food was fresh and plentiful. The pool was out the back and across the road (a little wierd) but it was clean and we had a lovely laze around the lovely clean pool (walled area to make it more private). I would definately stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Second visit, first in 2012. Located on the Loi Kroh Road about 20-30 minutes by car from the airport, it's a 10 minute walk from the night bazaar and a 10 minute tuk tuk drive from the Saturday night market too. Also there's a Thai boxing stadium on the same street, tho the Thapae Stadium is real close in a tuk tuk or taxi also.

A nice little swimming pool, which is across the road from the side entrance but still secluded and quiet. Used the spa/massage service which was also efficient and very convenient. Breakfast was simple but tasty, with chefs making traditional Thai breakfasts as well as omelettes fresh.

Rooms are a good size, with wet room/shower, TV and huge beds.

Recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Although the staff were friendly and it is in a decent location.... to me, a hotel is where you pay a business to sleep there overnight.

I couldn't sleep as the acoustic separation between rooms was so bad it was a joke, you can hear people using light switches and rustling around in bags.

I have no idea how this is a 4*, it would be quieter staying in a hostel.

Very unhappy customer, even if we had no one next door you can still hear everything from the hotel's atrium where the food is served. Also why does this hotel advertise having a swimming pool when it's down the road? Does this mean my house has a double garage as I can park two cars down the street?

Room Tip: Chose another hotel, no lie
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travel874
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I am a well travelled 50 year old solo male traveler from Australia with a low to medium budget for this holiday and stayed in Chang Mai from 21st to the 25th of July 2014 at the one hotel.

I found this hotel on Skyscanner.com and emailed them a few times from Australia inquiring about room pricing and availability which they promptly replied to. Because of mixed reviews on Trip Advisor about hotels in my price range I did not pre-book or pay for a room, but had a list of hotels that I would inspect on arrival in Chang Mai.

The following hotel review is based on my hotel requirements for this holiday which were:
• Room under $50 AUD per night.
• Clean and comfortable room with natural light.
• In room safe.
• Close to shopping and night life.

Review:
• Hotel staff, including cleaners were friendly and helpful showing me (upon request) my room before I paid.
• 24hr reception and security staff.
• 2nd floor Superior double room with no balcony, but frosted glass window in bedroom and ensuite did let in natural light.
• Free in room WiFi.
• Very large double bed, was 2 king single beds pushed together.
• Room nicely decorated with dark wooden furniture in the typical Asian theme.
• Small bar fridge + 2 bottles of free water each day.
• Good in room safe, writing desk + chair, wardrobe and sitting chair.
• Good sized ensuite with hot water at the shower and clean towels daily.
• Room was cleaned and made up daily.
• Buffet breakfast with egg/omelette station and different Asian food daily.
• Parking at rear of hotel for car or motorbike.
• Swimming pool located behind hotel across a small lane. Pool was clean and in a nice tropical setting.
• Hotel located on a one way street between old city and shopping market area.
• Close to many bars, restaurants and about 1Km walk to Anusarn Markets.
• About 200m walk to the old city and about 500m to the main gates of the old city.
• Guest friendly should you have a friend stay overnight, but when ever booking a double hotel room in Asia ensure at check-in that your room is for 2 people.
• From what I saw this hotel looked to be wheel chair friendly as it had an elevator to the room floors and reception, foyer was easily accessed from a path with no steps.

Positives:
• Value for my budget.
• Close to old and new city.
• Swimming pool.
• Clean and tidy room.

Negatives:
• Due to hard surfaces I could hear breakfast time noise in my room, was not an issue for me but maybe for some.

Overall I give this hotel an excellent rating based on my criteria and would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor are better as there are no balconies or big windows to take in a view and this wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Rowan B
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is lovely to look at, well decorated and yes the staff are friendly. We visited the spa which was a pleasant experience; though certainly not the best we had in Thailand. However we suffered a really poor night's sleep the first night there. We were in a room with an adjoining door to the room next door and we could hear everything. We could hear them going into a plastic bag even turning on the light switch. We complained to the staff eventually at 2am and explained it wasn't our neighbours but the painfully thin walls! Next day we were moved to a quieter room however I have to say the acoustic set up is really quite poor. They serve breakfast in an atrium like area where all the bedrooms look down upon and so have basically created an auditorium so you can hear the clatter of cutlery from 7am every morning. Sorry harsh review but I expect a good night's sleep but this place has a big design flaw that we found intolerable.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rosielee55
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Let's start with the good points: it's in a great location and has friendly, helpful staff.

I like quirky and this hotel is a little quirky but I wasn't very comfortable here. It all felt rather tired and could do with freshening up.

The safe didn't work when we arrived (no batteries) and there weren't any towels. There was a leaky shower and a very long wait for any hot water. The safe is tiny - big enough for cash and camera and phone not for a tablet. The sound proofing is not good. I was woken up by banging and machinery at 6:30.

I had booked a room for three adults (I checked first to make sure this was possible) but we could only just fit. There was no head board, no bedside table for your book or water and no space for a suitcase. The beds were not comfortable.

The breakfast was edible but not very tasty.

And the swimming pool is across the road (just a small lane) next to the car park.

The best thing about the hotel was the location and the staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rare_Pearl
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Raming Lodge
The good
Location just off the moat outside the Old City. Near lots of places, of great variety, to eat and drink. Shopping and spa options abound. We had two rooms during our stay, both sold as Deluxe though the second was noticeably narrower than first. Rooms have TV with English channels, air con. Has an elevator.
Both rooms were still quite roomy. Solid wood furniture, king sized beds, fairly clean, spacious bathrooms. The fifth floor room was very quiet. With a Deluxe the mini bar and a shuttle to the airport or train station are included in the price. Both rooms were at the back away from the street. Both rooms had a plethora of electric outlets. We were able to plug in both tablets, my phone, the iPod, and the netbook. Better, even with the auto shut off the devices kept charging when we were not in the room.
The breakfast buffet had lots to offer including, local Thai, an omelet bar, yogurt, fruit, and muesli. The pool was clean and provided a nice, isolated, spot for lounging. The fact that it was across the parking lot didn't bother us.
Wifi available everywhere, though it was a bit persnickety.
The bad
The air conditioning in the third floor room was terribly loud and when it wasn't running there was a weird electronic noise from the property behind the hotel. The bed in the higher room had a pronounced dip that became very uncomfortable after a night or two. The included mini bar consists of a scant few snacks and soft drinks and is not refilled.
While the breakfast buffet had lots to offer we found it not worth getting out of bed for. The eggs tasted powdered, the Thai food like it was last night's staff rejects, and the coffee was undrinkable, even for my caffeine addicted husband.
The ugly
Early during our stay at this hotel the phone I thought I'd left on the charger in the room went missing. I'd been using the camera a lot and, mentally kicking myself, assumed I'd left it behind somewhere. Then, on the day we were to check out, we realized our passports were missing. We lock our passports in our room, in the safe if one is available, and carry copies with us when we travel.
In short: Twenty years of traveling and we've never *lost* anything more important than the occasional umbrella. One week here and both our passports and my phone go missing. But it could totally be a coincidence.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are generally quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple