Review Highlights
My favourite experience in Thailand

Stayed her for a week via a tour and had the most amazing time. Met some lovely people amongst the... read more

Reviewed yesterday
mimoo_97
London, United Kingdom
Karen Elephant Oasis (Private Tour for 4) Was Absolutely Amazing!

My 3 friends and I had a personal tour at the Karen Elephant Oasis. It was just the 4 of us, the 2... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Jonathan N

Recommended experiences in and around Chiang Mai
from $66.78
from $32.00
from $64.00
from $230.37
10,581 results
All reviews dogs and cats vegetarian buffet water buffalo street begging rescued elephants day trip heart breaking ride elephants their lives amazing experience these beautiful creatures overnight stay life changing experience watermelon these gentle giants asian elephants eye opening
Selected filters
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

I started the Journey to Freedom project on Monday, March 11. On Sunday, they informed us that they would not be picking us up from our hotels and that we had to be at the office by 8:30 AM. That wasn’t a problem, but I did end up waiting awhile before getting on a van.
Once on the van (we had a group of 12), it was about a 3 hour drive to the Journey to Freedom camp. We did stop along the way to get lunch.

The camp is very simple. There are a couple of rooms with raised beds and thin mattresses surrounded by mosquito bedding. My room had 4 other girls but there was room for another. There are electrical sockets but they are limited. The bathrooms were just a short walk away. The showers are cold. The food is all vegetarian but is really good.

On the day we arrived, we took a short walk into the jungle to see the elephants. Then we had dinner and got to know everyone.

On Tuesday we had breakfast (always at 7:30 AM), and then we went on a jungle hike to see the elephants. The hike had some steep hills it wasn’t horrible. However the ground is very slippery and several people fell. The heat is what gets to you so make sure to carry lots of water. We even had lunch in the jungle. After the hike we headed into one of the nearby villages to meet with some of the children.

On Wednesday we were invited to an annual ceremony that one of the villages has in honor of the government. It was an honor to be invited and take place. Several monks showed up. After the ceremony, the locals wanted to take pictures with us and provided us with food and drink. Then we went back to the camp with about 30 kids from the villages to feed the elephants.

On Thursday we went into another village and went to the primary school. We worked with kids on English and then played games with them. After that we went back to the camp and organized and weeded coffee plants.

On Friday we went into the hills to cut a truck load of grass for the elephants. Once we had a truck-full we went back to the camp to feed them.

On Saturday we were blessed by a Shaman and they we headed to the Elephant Nature Park main camp right outside of Chiang Mai where we were able to walk around and see some of the 80 elephants located there.

On Sunday we said our goodbyes to the elephants and to each other and were dropped off at our hotels.

Our guide for the week was Mix and he was absolutely amazing!

1  Thank katielady35
Reviewed March 16, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I came two years ago and we came back with my brother and his wife and had yet another amazing experience. The rooms are very very basic but everything else about this place was fantastic. It was inspiring to see what they are trying to accomplish for elephants in tourism and lovely to see these elephants finally getting some much deserved lobe and rest. We'll be back again!

Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

We spent the day at the elephant nature park center in the love for elephant tour, it was an amazing experience. Coming into Chiang Mai, doing an elephant care tour was one of our goal. At first we were frightened of the commercials and touristic thing of it all, not being good for the animals but after reading some of the reviews we trusted them and went for it.
What a great idea that was, a bus picks you up from your hotel and brings you to the forest, we were 3 couples and met our guide who introduced us to 3 wonderful elephants. We spent the day feeding them, bathing them and taking a walk in the forest with them. It was an amazing day the guide was English speaking and knew his subject for sure answering every question we had.
Great experience !

Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

Picked up from Hotel on time(Holiday Inn)
About an hour drive and you get to watch a short video showing how abusive we are to elephants

It's a touch watch

Park is amazing and you get to see elephants, buffalo, dogs roaming with history of the elephants. No riding, just gentle touching of a couple of these magnificent animals

Then lunch with a huge choice-all vegetarian...yum

Then another walk around before we headed back to hotel at 3pm

Outstanding value for money and Lek chatted to us briefly and I'm sure she heading to Oz very soon for a discussion tour

Reviewed March 14, 2019 via mobile

Ask for Tommy to be your guide! I want to start off by saying that if we did not have Tommy I don’t believe it would have been near as fun or have a little bit of comedy mixed in. He has such a personality! What a fantastic place to visit. I have always been a massive animal lover so making sure that I pick somewhere that treats their animals ethically was priority number one for me. From the video they show you in the van on the way from the hotel about how elephants are treated as amusements to how to approach the elephants, the effort in care is very obvious here. When you arrive you were given a tour of the facilityAt the front for being given baskets of fruit to feed the elephants. It is so unique because elephants know what treats they like and I will literally denied food from your hand if it’s not the flu they enjoy! Warning, it can be a bit sad to see a couple elephants that have injuries from the previous life or mental illness, but the experience is well worth it. It is a very grounding, emotionally moving experience to see the elephants that have a covered while in the care of elephant nature park and to see true happiness in the eyes of an animal that had such a hard life prior. All the dogs and cats or a fantastic addition!