“Must Go: Humane Elephant Park”

Elephant Nature Park
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Elephant Nature Park, a unique conservation project set in Chiang Mai Province, Northern Thailand has been in operation since in the 1990's with a goal to provide a sanctuary and elephant rescue center. We have been involved in dozens of rescues and sustain a natural home for this endangered species. Mission: To protect and conserve elephants in a natural environment and to provide a healthy and fruitful life for all those creatures under our care
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A great way to experience the elephants in Thailand. This is a humane elephant sanctuary where the caregivers teach and train the elephants through positive reinforcements NOT hitting (which happens at other parks). Day visitors have the opportunity to feed and bath the elephants, tour the park, take pictures. We even met Lek, the amazing woman who founded the place.

1  Thank Emily L
There are newer reviews for Elephant Nature Park

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Despite all the great reviews, I was a little worried I'd be disappointed. It was a perfect day. They picked us up at our hotel and whisked us an hour out of Chang Mai to their property--a huge spread in a pretty little valley. After a short orientation some elephants started arriving for their morning feeding. What fun! Then we went on a tour of the place and met some more elephants , including the 7 month old baby. The mother was very protective so it was understandable that we couldn't feed the baby.
At noon we broke for a wonderful vegetarian buffet lunch and had some time to wander and let the experience sink in.
The afternoon involved lots of face time with these gentle giants, including a chance to wash them down in the river.
Well worth the money. It felt particularly good driving by the numerous elephant riding camps knowing we had had a much more special day than them.

1  Thank TonyZeg
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I only have good things to say about this true eco-tour experience. They picked us up at our hotel. They played an info video on-route to the nature park as we drove. We got there with our guide already as he was in the car with us. We had a nice small group and we got to first greet the elephants, then feed them. We then fed ourselves at their delicious (massive) buffet lunch, and then we bathed them and fed them again! They incorporate a very moving and informative video about the owner Zek who is on a crusade to save these poor abused elephants from remote villages and abusive owners. There were not many dry eyes in the room. The park also serves as an amazing dog rescue facility from dogs abandoned after the flooding from 2011 so dont be put off by all the dogs! They are well cared for and very friendly.

I would recommend this facility to anyone and I would strongly discorage any other outfits that do elephant rides or treks. It is the only thing you miss out on but you quickly realize it is not good for the elephants and honestly at the end of the day I didn't care about riding them at all. Most of the cost is a donation to help keep the park running and feed the animals / provide health care!

1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I did not want to do an elephant trek after a video I found on you tube showed the torture these poor Thai Elephants go through.

This park was recommended to me by my sister and friends who visited.

This is the only elephant experience you can partake in in Thailand where you are assured the elephants are treated well.

We were collected from our hotel by a modern, air conditioned mini bus with a guide for the park. Once at the park we were shown all the rescued elephants and told some of their stories.

We had a delicious buffet lunch and washed the elephants in a river as well as feeding them on and off all day.

We met lots of great people and had an amazing day.

I can't recommend this park enough. It is beautiful and the work these people are doing is wonderful and unique.

If I ever come back to Thailand I shall return here for longer than a day.

Ps: get your tissues out for the video :-( I still feel haunted by the beating of those elephants. No animal should be treated like that. Mankind at its worst.

1  Thank mazmania
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at The Elephant Nature Park for a couple of days and learnt a lot about these lovely animals. We believe that in there the elephants are fairly treated. There is plenty of place for them to go around and the staff looks very professional. The Elephant Nature Park is doing a great work to save the elephants from violent owners. Thanks for the amazing work!