“OVERATED and unhygienic”

Kiyora Spa
Ranked #12 of 210 Spas & Wellness in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a provider of Thai-Lanna massage modalities incorporated with Western massage techniques. Including a FREE TRANSPORT SERVICE (within Chiang Mai City), we are dedicated to providing professional and affordable therapeutic massage services to spa and massage lovers who are looking for quality service during their stay in Chiang Mai. We also offer Australian-made Biossentials(R) facials as well as therapeutic massages. Amongst tranquil and peaceful surrounds, we commit ourselves in affording the very highest standards of care and wellbeing for each and every Kiyora experience.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Tokyo, Japan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“OVERATED and unhygienic”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have picked up a Kiyora Spa brochure at a local tour agent at Tar Phae Gate. Thinking about relaxing from exhaustion I have traveling around and read about the rating from TripAdvisor so I decided to try Kiyora Spa which was near to my hotel. At the spa, the welcoming was OK. I chose a 90minutes Thai massage with herbal bags. When I was in the spa room, I noticed that there were mosquitoes flying around under the spa table. I felt worried as I do not want to get sick from virus bitten from mosquitoes. Anyway, a young massage lady came in to start my massage. She started with my Thai massage for about an hour and continued with the hot herbal bag massage just not more than 20minutes and ended with a soft head massage. The MOST shocking thing I found out was the herbal bags were reused from previous treatments which were mouldy. Besides
, the itchyness from the bites from the mosquitoes, I felt itchy all over my body from the massage when I was back to my hotel. I felt the Kiyora Spa is dirty and unhygienic. Anyway they charged me 1300baht for the massage which I think it is not worth the quality. Do not be fooled by the website as it did not show any more details about the spa rather most of the photos are from Google. I must say the spa is OVERATED. I shall never return or recommend this spa.

Visited May 2014
10 Thank londyflio
Shotmaker23, Public Relations Manager at Kiyora Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Firstly, for the benefit of the TripAdvisor users who may land on your review, we do not have a record of your profile - Japanese Female who had Traditional Thai Massage with Herbal Compress Balls who visited in May. We have a strict Documentation Management System, which enables us to extract our Client Information Forms from our Archives at any given time. Our Documentation System is also electronically recorded for redundancy. We do this as we are responsible for our clients’ health and wellbeing when receiving treatments at our Spa and it is our Duty of Care that we keep all records of guests that partake in any of our services.

I would normally thank you for your review. However, your claims are a gross misrepresentation of our Spa. Even though we do not have a record of you ever being here, I will rebut your claims for the benefit of honest TripAdvisor users who are sincerely looking for great value when visiting spas in Chiang Mai.

Our Traditional Thai Massage with Herbal Compress Balls treatment is completely integrated. There is no division between Thai Massage and the administering of Herbal Compress balls as described in your review, which is further evidence that you have not experienced our treatment as you claim. This is also stated in our Standard Operating Procedure for this massage. Yes, all our treatments are standardized, documented and controlled. But we also have the freedom to personalize treatments according to requests and contraindications indicated on Client Information Forms.

Our compress balls are freshly made, daily and is SINGLE-USE. We make our own because it is very hard to find manufactured products that have sufficient quantities of herbs. That is why the aroma of our herbal balls are stronger than other establishments.

Our Pest Control Management System was implemented early April. We were supplied with a larvae-controlling chemical by the Thai Ministry of Health Department, which reduced our mosquitoes significantly. Furthermore, our housekeeping procedures require us to spray insecticide in all rooms 2 to 3 hours before opening. We do not have mosquitoes flying underneath our tables.

Our sanitization procedures are of international standards. We use controlled methods for disinfecting all our surfaces. So our Spa just doesn’t just look clean, it is microscopically clean also with a reduction of microbial growth using effective cleaning agents.

To conclude my response, during our investigation of similar profiles (sex and treatment), we have sold a total of 13 Traditional Thai Massage with Herbal Compress Treatments since we opened in January 26 of this year, of which 3 were rated “Very Good” and 10 rated “Excellent”. Although we are a young spa, we have a proven track record with our services and will continue to implement improvements on a daily basis, with or without your review.

Kind regards,

• Thai first
wollongong
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“THE BEST SPA AROUND!!! Heaven....”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I booked the Spacation Package online, taking advantage of the 30% disount they had on offer. In the end I swapped a couple of treatments around which they were more than happy to accommodate. I have been in the Spa industry for over ten years and have visited many in Bali so was keen to check out this spa that has only been open since late last year. The spa offers free pick up and they were there right on time! The treatments were all top notch! My therapist was with me for the whole five hours (yes.. five hours :-)) and I can confidently say I had the best massage of my life!! I chose the two hour yoga massage and by the end of it I barely even knew where I was it was that good! Half way through my package I had fresh fruit and tea which was beautiful! You can really tell that all the therapists and staff know what they are doing. The front of house is very welcoming and after my treatment I was given some Mango Sticky Rice as a gift which was a lovely touch. I really wanted to go back before I left Chiang Mai but didn't get a chance to :-(

Visited May 2014
2 Thank bminus
Shotmaker23, Public Relations Manager at Kiyora Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are flattered to have been able to provide you with a service that is comparatively the best in over 10 years of experience! Your review will be announced in our next staff meeting to show our staff the level of appreciation that guests, such as yourself, have with our services.

Thank you once again.

Kiyora Spa Team
United States
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“A Beautiful Oasis in the middle of the Old City”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I booked a 2 1/2 hour Thai Inspired package after seeing their brochure at a travel agency. Everything from start to finish is top notch. Even their website is well done. Their wonderful driver picked me up promptly at the appointed time. I even got a reminder phone call! I was pleasantly surprised when we pulled into the beautiful courtyard of the spa. I was greeted warmly and they had me fill out a spa form. Then I was guided into my room and given a pair of light weight cotton pyjamas for the traditional Thai Massage. I have never had a Thai massage and didn’t really know what I was getting into, but it was enjoyable. This treatment ends with herbal compress balls which are very warm, moist balls composed of various herbs. They are applied using a sponging technique all over the body, front and back.

When I returned to the reception area I was given tea and lovely fruit with sticky rice. That was a nice touch.

I would definitely return. Everyone is fantastic and the spa is very service oriented. I highly recommend them!

I would suggest checking their website first and seeing if they have any special promotions. I made the reservation while I was out walking around and did not see the website first. If you use a VISA to pay for the service there is a 3% service charge.

2 Thank cockers2luv
Shotmaker23, Guest Relations Manager at Kiyora Spa, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your timely review.

It was an absolute delight to serve you at our spa. We will continue to improve all aspects to ensure we can deliver even better services in the future.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience to the online community.

Regards,
London
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“A great spa find in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This small new spa gets everything right. I visited twice in five days. Absolutely perfect service - efficient online booking, on time complimentary transport, serene ambience, spotlessly clean. The owner is fluent in English and took time to discuss the different body scrubs and wraps and help me choose one. I had two different therapists, both wonderful, and the treatments left my skin glowing. They further spoiled me with delicious tea and mango sticky rice. I found the price very reasonable for the overall experience, especially taking advantage of the promotional rates on their website. Don't hesitate, just go!

1 Thank carpediem70
Thank you for review.

Our whole team is ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our hospitality. We're going to continue to work hard to ensure we improve and innovate our customer service quality. Reviews like yours gives us the motivation to get even better at our craft. As with all our reviews, yours was presented in our staff meeting to ensure the frontline of our service providers (receptionists & therapists) get the recognition they deserve.

Thank you once again!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a refreshing experience!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I visited Kiyora Spa on Jun 3 for a 2-5 hour massge package. First of all, the online reservation process is very efficient and I got prompt reminder and response from the staff. The spa has very nice ambience and reception staff are welcoming. My therapist (Ommy) is amazing and I had a wonderful massage (the best I tried during my vacation in Chiang Mai). Everything is pleasing and I enjoy the experience a lot.

1 Thank EricaTai
Shotmaker23, Guest Relations Manager at Kiyora Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your timely review.

It's of great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed pretty much all of our services, including our online communications with you. We strive to have a complete customer experience with all our guests, which is of the highest standards possible. Thank you for sharing your insights of your visit.

Kind regards,