“Savor and enjoy......”

David's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 2,237 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Romantic french restaurant with a lovely indoor dining room. We are open for dinner from Monday to Saturday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Reviewed June 14, 2014

........the wonderful flavors and ambiance of DK David's Kitchen. The experience starts with a lovely drive up a winding driveway. The restaurant has fine parking and a welcoming atmosphere. I have eaten out doors in the garden which was lovely, and also inside, which is cool, calm and spacious. The wine list very good and priced well, I just wish there was a selection of Rose, so nice to sip in this hot climate. We were a large party and were handled effortlessly. David and his wife were highly visible over seeing the dining room. The menu was mouth watering and every dish delivered in perfect portion size, was so tasty, and expertly prepared. I had a special salad of the day, tuna and green mango with Thai herbs....it was out of this world, and seasoned just right, when I ask for not too hot, it came exactly that way, with a bit of zing but not setting the mouth on fire. The shrimp ravioli had an amazing reduction of sauce filled with flavor of the sea, the ravioli dough was like an Italian Grandma would make, paper thin, light and done to perfection. Save room, desert is a must, one dining companion proclaimed the Tiramisu the best he ever had. One small improvement could be had, sometimes the proper silver did not arrive with the dish, a spoon missing, a knife not there .....and you sat waiting to dig in while trying to flag down the server. And digging in ...what heaven!!!!!! Price was very reasonable considering the attention to detail and most of all, the creativity and quality of the food. Can't wait to go back again and again!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I happened upon David's Kitchen while lost on a beautiful country road in northern Chiang Mai and feel so fortunate that I did. As soon as I entered the estate-like grounds and drove up to the restaurant, I could tell it was a special place where I needed to dine.

I've been there twice so far and have had amazing experiences on each occasion. The ambiance is classy but casual, the wonderfully attentive servers feel more like family than restaurant staff, and the food… absolutely delicious! I highly recommend the rich tasting Beef Cheek and incredibly tender Lamb Shank. It's no wonder to me why DK is the #1 restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Restaurant owners, David and Prom are two of the sweetest and genuinely kind people I've ever met. When I got lost on motorbike on my way to their restaurant, not only were they completely understanding, they actually sent a staff member on motorbike to lead me to the restaurant! This would be absolutely unheard of in my hometown of Los Angeles.

I'm looking forward to going back to Chiang Mai and to many more wonderful visits to David's Kitchen while I'm there!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

This restaurant is rated #1 in Chiang Mai for a reason. It's only been open since December, but has made an international name for itself. I e-mailed DK last month letting them know we were coming to Chiang Mai for our Anniversary. I immediately received an e-mail from the owner himself, David.

From the heart of Chiang Mai, transportation is tricky and expensive. Not a lot of taxis or drivers know where this place is, it's fairly remote and far from Old Town. It's best to go with DK's transport service. David organized private transportation to and from our hotel - 600bht for a 30+ minute each way trip - Bobby was very friendly and met us on time in the lobby of our hotel. The restaurant even called during our trip to the restaurant to ensure he had found us and was on the way.

Menu Preparation for our Anniversary Dinner:
David and his Chef worked together to design a prix-fix dinner menu especially for us. I made David aware of my allergies and he made sure that none of the items on the menu had onions and had some of my french favorites listed (Duck and tuna).

Warm Welcome:
We were greeted out in front of the restaurant by the owner, his wife Prom, his daughter and staff. Everyone greeted us by our name and welcomed us into the restaurant like long lost family. We were sat at a lovely table that had a ring of roses around a specially made sign for us. Before we knew it, a refreshing welcome drink was poured and David treated us with two lovely glasses of champagne to celebrate our anniversary.

It was also the 1st night of the restaurant having a live pianist. This was an added romantic, sophisticated touch that made our dinner even more special. The pianist played some classical pieces along with some fun ditties from 20s, 50s and 70s. I hope they continue to have this pianist for all their future dinners!

"Set Menu"
David carefully walked through our options for the set menu he had prepared for us (they also have an a la carte menu available). It was 1750bht ($53) per person for a 3 course dinner which included your choice of appetizer, main and dessert. Although to some, $53US is a quite a bit for a meal in Thailand, it was absolutely worth every penny.

My husband ordered:
Appetizer - raw salmon. The salmon dish was excellent with a nice balance of sweet, spicy and tart.
Main: Snow Fish with red wine sauce. The dish was a large portion of fish with excellent sides of potatoes and spinach.
Dessert: Chocolate Mousse - served cold in a margarita class, it was perfectly whipped.

I ordered:
Appetizer: tuna with green mango - large portions of seared tuna on a bed of green mango salad bed
Main: Duck with an orange reduction sauce - the duck, potatoes and sauce were just like the duck I have had in Paris. It was cooked on the rare side (which I love) and the sauce was delightful. I felt like I was having a meal in Paris. One of the best duck dishes I have ever had.
Dessert: Chocolate souffle - perfectly presented with a side of home made vanilla ice cream and a raspberry compote. The souffle was hot with perfectly melted chocolate inside. One of the best souffle's ever!

Wine
David Gaurad Syrah from France (990bht).

Service:
The service was attentive, but not obtrusive. David and his wife personally came by several times to check on our meal (after each dish he asked us if we needed anything and if it was too our liking).
As we were eating our dessert, his cutie pie children surpised me with a beautiful bouquet of red roses and his son was waving a sparkler. It was just too adorable.

The full dinner was roughly 4800bht -$150USD (they add VAT and 10% service charge), the price is a bit higher than most people spend on dinners in Thailand, but it was one of the most amazing dinners we have ever had. If we had more evenings in Chiang Mai, we would certainly have dinner their every night! We have eaten at some of the world's finest Michelin star restaurants, David's Kitchen rivals our past dining experience.

Thank you David and Prom for an incredible Anniversary dinner we will always remember. We hope to have the opportunity to come back one day.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I was introduced to DK David's Kitchen by a friend, and I couldn't be more thrilled. David and his wife Prom were the perfects hosts. The group is like a family and they treat the patrons the same. I hate being rushed in a meal or people hovering while we eat, but I also hate not being able to get the attention of the staff. This place finds the perfect balance between not enough attention and smothering you. It was the perfect environment and the food mirrors this perfection. The selection will appeal to anyone and the flavors are amazing. The chef is brilliant, if you are in Chiang Mai it is a must!!

2  Thank SJR611
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We went to David's Kitchen At 909 twice in the last several months, once for dinner and once for lunch, and both meals were excellent.
First, the dinner. We started with a really great crab bisque and a decent gazpacho soup. For mains, we ordered a classic beef bourguignon (again, a solid choice, although I wish it had a bit more mushrooms and onions); and fantastic, tender slow cooked beef cheeks with a perfect demi glace. Dessert was a fresh, rich chocolate mousse. We ordered different wines by the glass to accompany the dishes, which the waitress got crossed up on (a bit of language confusion), but no big deal. The wine list, while not extensive, covers the bases.
We had the set lunch on our second visit at B199 per person, which gave us a main, dessert, and coffee or tea. The linguine and the green curry short ribs mains were both top notch, and just enough to make a satisfying meal. The sorbet and ice cream desserts (made in house) were small scoops but had wonderful flavor.
DK's is located a ways north of Chiang Mai center, with a pleasant country setting on the Ping River. The truly outstanding feature of this restaurant is its quality food at very reasonable prices which makes it worth return visits.

1  Thank WondersOfThePlanet