Viangbua Mansion
  • Restaurant
$558
$252
Agoda.com
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
$96
$55
$375
$340
Agoda.com
All reviewslovely lobbythai neighbourhoodweekly rateunderground parkinglots of storage spacenearby marketdoi suthepthe air conditioningbottled waterper daymicrowavebahtdetergentmotorbikeelectricity
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Viangbua Mansion is a 10 minute drive from the old city, but is a 5 minute walk from a local market which offers plenty of food options. The staff were very helpful for all our enquiries such as tours, travel options and general directions. The rooms are large, with lots of cupboards. A full sized fridge, bathroom and good air conditioning. There is a cheap self-service laundry area that only costs around 40 baht per load. To get a tuktuk or a red taxi, you might have to take a 2 minute walk toward the main road. For dinner, another nearby food option is Nu's Place which is right beside the hotel.Overall, it was a good experience. We'd stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bushid0kid
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently had my third stay at Viangbua, and, as usual, it was superlative. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. The included breakfast is generous, and quite tasty, with a nice selection. The staff is friendly, competent, and helpful. The location, although slightly distant from the old city and the moat road (perhaps a ten minute walk), is convenient, with pretty much anything you would need within walking distance. I had a small problem with the safe in my room, and the manager attended to it herself, with an excellent attitude, and was quick, courteous, and more than helpful. I highly recommend Viangbua. It is an excellent value for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Mike M
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Spent a whole week here and would go back in heartbeat! The two sisters (A & Off) that run the hotel are first rate and they can assist you with almost anything. We had a king bedded room on the 6th floor with a view of the mountain. The room was basic, but had everything we needed. The bed was firm, there was a TV and rattan love seat in the "lounge" side of the room and they have plenty of storage space. There is a decent sized fridge as well. The bathroom has a shower, no tub, but all was kept clean with the daily maid service. They give you 2 bottles of Chang Spring water daily and they offer more bottled water (and other refreshments for sale) in the lobby. Our rate included breakfast daily and they offer 6 choices of a set breakfast menu from the extremely friendly waitresses. The coffee bar off the lobby was great and I thoroughly enjoyed a daily iced coffee from the smiling guy that mans the counter. The manager, "A" helped us arrange a car and driver twice during our stay at a very reasonable rate. Her sister "Off" was very helpful in trying to get us flights. There are many American ex-pats that frequent the hotel, so you will feel very much at home. This hotel offers 5 star service at a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leftyonkey
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 weeks and enjoyed our stay.

I can understand some other comments, it must have been a most wonderful place once, but the neighborhood is a bit of a hassle nowadays. There are construction works going on in the opposite building (they should be done in a few months, though) and there is quite some traffic at night. But.. this is true for most areas in Chiang Mai.

There are some very good reasons why I recommend this hotel
- the staff (everybody, from the cleaning women to the manager) is incredible friendly and helpful
- rooms are spacious and clean, well furnished
- lobby is nice and breakfast ok, every story has its own wifi
- value for the price is unbeatable

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Markoff_Chainey
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked a "superior" double room on Agoda for ~24$ a night during August. The room was very spacious, the hotel was very clean, and the location was quiet and somewhat far from the tourist areas, but was right next to a fantastic restaurant, The Spirit House.

What made Viangbua stand out, however, was their amazing service. On arriving, I couldn't find my passport to check in. I panicked. When we told the woman at the desk (the manager), she gasped and immediately hit the phones. I knew the passport had to be on the plane because I used it to board. In the meantime, the manager wrote out a long list explaining what our next steps should be and giving thai directions to our tuk tuk! At our first stop, the tourist police, the phone rang and a confused tourist cop handed me the phone--it's for you... The manager was on the line and the airline had found my passport! I've never had a hotel manager so personally interested in making my stay a success, I would recommend Viangbua to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013