“Great place to stay”

Ranked #16 of 757 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I booked this at the last minute and was panicking a little about accommodation but I'm so glad I did! Initially, I booked for one night but stayed for four - the duration of my stay in Chiang Mai.

It's in a great location, near the edge of the old city so there are loads of amenities - plenty of good restaurants and tuk tuks. It was a little far to walk to the Night Bazaar but only cost about 40 Baht to get there by tuk tuk.

All the staff (especially the owner) were great, and I was made to feel very welcome. There was also a friendly wee dog there, which I loved!

The room was great - big and clean, with a large en suite bathroom. There was a small balcony, which was nice. They had air con, a minibar, some complimentary toiletries and loads of leaflets and books for information. All for about 950 Baht a night. It was miles better than my experience in Bangkok! My only complaint about the room is the bed was quite hard but it didn't stop me sleeping

I'd definitely stay here again. It's peaceful, friendly and clean. All in all, the best place I stayed in Thailand.

• Liked — Spacious, clean room
  • Disliked — Hard bed!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank juliefbee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I arrived early in the morning, about 7:30am, and confirmed this with the hotel in advance. The hotel was very quiet while breakfast was being served. I stood at Reception, and was observed but ignored. After 10 minutes, I asked the girl who kept her back to me if anyone was available.

Reluctantly, she stopped talking to the man making coffee and checked me in. My room wasn't ready, but luggage could be left in the corridor. A few minutes later, she let me know that my room was ready and provided the key.

The corridors and my room were bright, spacious, and sparkling clean! The shower is quite large and the water pressure strong; however, finding a moderate temperature was a challenge. It was either scalding hot or very cold. Not a big deal. The family who run the guest house is lovely. Yet it was tad awkward walking up to Reception while family members are on their knees saying prayers. There is a Buddhist alter in Reception. Again, not a big deal.

Sri-Pat is close to everything, and on a quiet street. The lauderette and seamstress are 50 meters down the street and both did an excellent job. I loved the neighborhood and vendors, coffee houses and restaurants.

One morning, my tour van did not arrive. The girl working the morning shift got on the phone and starting calling around to find out where they were and why I hadn't been picked up. As she's doing this, there were people checking in/out, others with questions about where to find the best ABC; people having breakfast (she's serving) and me waiting to get picked up for my tour. She was overwhelmed and needed help, but she was the only one available for the time-being. I was very grateful for her diligence and perseverance!

The breakfast at the hotel is additional (100 baht) and all were delicious! Yoghurt and fresh fruit, eggs with ham & toast, etc. This is a charming place to stay while visiting Chiang Mai with a sweet family running the guest house.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CnDeu
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Our hotel voucher, bought in a respected travel agency in Thailand, was worth nothing at this hotel. We were estimated to leave for the train station in the morning, and had to pay for our room once again! - so we could be in time at the railway station. The first (human) mistake was made by the travel agency in Phuket, who didn´t transfer money to this hotel. But the LARGER MISTAKE was made by Sri Pat guesthouse, for not asking after their money in time. Our hotel voucher was wort nothing here!

The problem were sorted out later, but the experience was very unpleasent.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Thomas28
London
Reviewed February 15, 2008

My mum and I stayed here for 4 nights and felt so happy here. It is very clean and the staff are friendly. Good location and it has a real sense of warmth about the place. The road (soi) it is on is centrally located but is still peaceful. Clean towels every day and beds are made for you. Highly recommend. 5 out of 5.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank HarveyLondon
London, UK
Reviewed January 19, 2008

It is a little more expensive than many others in its price range but it felt very safe, the staff were delightful and it seems well located.

• Stayed January 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 6, 2008

This little guest house is perfect to stay in for a trip to Chiang Mai. It has a family run staff that is incredibly helpful. The owner personally handles most matters and is very friendly. He assisted in booking tours, getting taxis, and getting the best prices. Very trustworthy place too. Location is great - walking distance to the main streets. Location has nearby internet cafe, massage place, and nightlife. Rooms were moderate - had only basic amenities but were kept very clean. Nothing flashy, but the service is worth the stay.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This family run guesthouse was the best we stayed at in Thailand

Positives:
Guesthouse was run by three generations and from grandma to the grandkids everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Even non-family staff was delightful.

The room and bathroom were spotless and very fancy. We felt like we were staying at a luxury hotel.

The satelite TV had more channels than any other hotel we stayed at, all the news channel we could ask for including Al Jazeera English and all the good sports channels.

Breakfast was great with many selections to choose from.

The travel desk was staffed by a delightful Kathoey (transvestite) who did a great job organizing tours for us and giving us advice on getting to a flower festival that was going on when we were there. The tour and cooking class we arranged with them were great.

It was very easy to meet other guests during breakfast, everyone was very nice.

It was located in a nice neighborhood. We used the local tailor and laundress and they did a nice job.

Negatives:
I did order phad thai for lunch one day and it was not good. The fried rice was good, however.

• Liked — Great rooms and staff
  • Disliked — No wifi, Phad thai wasn't good
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple