“Absolute bargain! ”
Review of Home Place Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiang Mai
Home Place Hotel
Ranked #222 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We paid ��5 each a night and stayed here for 3 nights.. It's really clean, staff are friendly and location is great- really close to the gate and the centre of chiang Mai! Couldn't fault it for the price, only thing I would recommend is unplugging the fridge on a night, it's a little loud!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We checked in to home place this morning and I wanted to write how much of a bargain this place is. For 590 baht a night it is one of the cleanest modern places I have ever been in. New fridge, wardrobe, floor doors, window nets and frames and paint make the room very fresh. It's not a huge room but perfect location for exploring. Flat screen tv with loads of English channels and great wifi connection in room too. Finally have a soft bed! Yes bathroom is smaller and basic but main thing for me is that the whole room is spotlessly clean. I have paid a lot more elsewhere For much worse so am surprised at the reviews on here. Service is also excellent, with all front desk staff speaking English and are knowledgable of the area. Stay here you won't be disappointed! Room 106

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 1, 2014

It's not a bad hotel for a night or two. we had a room with an air-conditioner. Bathroom was very small and it flooded after one person had showered. No bed bugs and the room was clean. Service? no service :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elena B
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked in here as although it looked basic we thought it would be ok for a night or 2 as we were budget travellers so didn't expect anything fancy!! We are generally pretty happy if a place is relatively clean and safe so our standards are pretty low! However, I would definately not recommend this place to anyone no matter how low your standards are! We checked in and just dropped our stuff in the room before heading out for a meal! While we were out there was a storm and when we returned to our room it was completely flooded and our bags were soaked!! This is because there is not a proper window in the room so wind and rain=a very wet room! We went downstairs to report the problem and their solution was to mop it up with towels. We explained that we expected to be moved to a room that was at the very least water proof in case it rained again that night...we didn't want to be woken up soaking ourselves!! The staff on shift didn't speak much English and weren't in the slightest sympathetic or bothered that our room was flooded...almost as if it was a regular occurence!! They offered us another room again with no proper window AND it backed out to a bar playing very loud music so not only would we get wet but we wouldn't be able to sleep! We decided we didn't want to stay at this hotel so we checked out and requested a refund. They were unable to give us a refund and told us to come back in the morning to speak to the manager but they didn't think we would get a refund as they have a "NO REFUND" policy.
We did come back in the morning but the manager was quite frankly very rude and refused to give us a refund despite our whole room flooding and our stuff being soaked!! I asked her if she would expect a room in a hotel to be water proof to which she agreed she would but she STILL refused to refund our room! She kept insisting that we saw the room and agreed to take it...i reminded her we saw the room when it was dry and would never expected it to flood every time it rained! She pretended not to understand us despite having spoken perfect English the previous day when we checked in!!!
Unless you can guarantee that it will not rain while you are staying at this hotel which is a very difficult thing to guarantee in Asia even during the dry season (which is when we were there) then I would not recommend staying here!!! However, there is a lovely little place to stay just accross from here called "Stay with Me" which is where we moved to and they were the most friendly and welcoming people you could imagine and the rooms were clean and safe and most importantly remained dry when it rained!!!!

Room Tip: Book into "Stay with me" Just accross the road!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank HeatherR32
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Another objective Fatt M review coming you way. As always, your results may vary.

The Good: Cheap. I paid B250 a night for a fan room with two fans (one stuck on the wall, one a floor fan). Free WiFi (password at the time was ms278000). Location. Almost right at the top of Tha Pae Road, on Soi 6, across the square from the Gate. Staff seem nice enough from the limited dealings I had with them. Water, Coke, Sprite, and disgusting Chang Beer are for sale out of the fridge in the lobby. That's pretty much it. I had something to do in Chiangmai so I was down from Pai for two days. Then I left. I wasn't looking for a Four Seasons experience.

The Bad: Cleanliness very much in doubt. Some sort of stains on the sheets (at least they weren't damp). Blood stains on the wall. Okay, just small ones. But still. It looked like someone had a nosebleed and wiped it there. You don't want the heavy brown cover anywhere near your face (or any skin at all, really)- remember that scene in Ocean's 13 when the hotel reviewer took out his black light and ran it over the sheets? Exactly.
Noisy. I was in Room 201 (top of the stairs) so of course I got a lot of passing-by noise ranging from 4pm to about 4am from people going to and coming from the third floor. One of the nights I stayed, it rained quite hard and although I was on the second floor, there seems to be no room above it, just roof. And a pretty noisy roof in a rainstorm at that. So in bed at 11:00pm, about forty minutes sleep up, "getting up" at 5. Next, it's four minutes from Loi Kroh Road. Which means lots of clip-clapping high heels and heavy soles in the hallway, if you know what I mean, particularly after the beer bars close at 1 or 2am and lasting until about 4am. (There didn't seem to be any cries of passion coming from other rooms. So either there wasn't any passion or the rooms are fairly soundproof). Positive point there.
Finally, large-scale gecko noise (and not the quiet clicking ones or the tokay ones. The very loud clicking ones that sound like briefcases snapping open ones).

But in the Tha Pae Gate area and for this price, a lot of places are going to be more or less like this. (This area's not the Beverly Hills of Chiangmai, you know). But if you need to get your head down cheaply and you want to be central for minibus or songthaew pickups or to get a tuk-tuk down to the train station (about a 10-15 minute ride) or just to get a Big Mac around the corner or make new friends in the bars on Loi Kroh Road, then this is what's on your accommodation menu.

Also, either a lot of the room doors stick or a lot of people are just ignorant jerks. Because a lot of door-slamming goes on. And in the tiled, painted-wall hallways, this means noise, noise, and more noise.

I can't objectively recommend it and I can't objectively not recommend it. You'll have to go see for yourself if you have time and you need a cheap place to sleep. (In low season, fan rooms are B250, aircon rooms are B350. They don't appear to do weekly deals and they definitely don't do monthly deals. Which is just as well because you'd go suicidal if you stayed here for more than a week). I didn't use the shower (it looked a little unreliable in the electrical-device-safe-around-water department) as I have no hair to wash and I didn't smell past anything the sink couldn't handle.

Room Tip: I didn't sleep in all the rooms they had but I would strongly suggest you avoid 201, particularl...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FattM
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Water was dirty looking, so I couldn't use the shower at all. It had a metallic, contaminated smell. The same tan, disgusting water came out of the water faucet, so I didn't feel comfortable using it to wash my face or brush my teeth.

Do you like being chewed on by BED BUGS? I counted 18 bed bug bites from just the ONE horrible night that I stayed at the Home Place Hotel in Chiang Mai -- terrible.

The staff were really rude, which didn't help at all. They seemed to enjoy NOT helping!

I would highly recommend not staying at the Home Place Hotel.

Room Tip: Best way to choose a good room is to not stay at the Home Place Hotel Chiang Mai. At least it is a h...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
23  Thank Jackie E
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Very good location just 2 minutes from Thapae Gate (its on the road behind McDonalds, sort of). Nice friendly staff and excellent value for money (400bht). My room had a fridge, TV, wardrobe with locks, nice size bathroom with hot shower, air con, double bed, free WiFi etc. My only issue was one of the windows wouldn't shut so let in a couple of bugs, and it could of been a little cleaner in places.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo