“too expensive for a little service”

People Place (1st Building)
Ranked #157 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Bangkok, Thailand
“too expensive for a little service”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for 2 night in Peoples Place I, booked at the airport as 3 star hotel for nearly 30 USD. The hotel very old and have dirty carpets and facilities. Wifi only in the lobby. All in all better stay away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here as part of a tour.
The night market and restaurants are within a 100m of the hotel. I felt safe walking back on my own at 10pm at night as it was so busy. My room was basic to the back of the hotel facing the road. Could hear Karaoke being played on the 1st night and was dreading it until I put my earplugs in. It solved the issue.
There was only 1-2 english channels which I enjoyed watching just before bed.
Bathroom was clean, just beware the step from the shower area in front of the toilet and basin.
The sheets were seen to be old. Clean but bobbling.
I didn't have the breakfast about 69baht as it was basic and didn't cater for my gluten or dairy free diet. Couple of the others had it and was quite happy with it.
7-eleven around the corner for cheap and convenient food and toiletries.
Staff were not friendly but not rude either. Young and disinterested.

Room Tip: No lift. If you want Air conditioning or hot water, there are switches just under the controls in th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Shirina1
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice budget hotel. Its in the centre of town and near the night market. They clean your room everyday. Clean, quiet and good price. They also have hot shower and continental breakfast is available for 99 baht. Not bad!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DianaSan85
London
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Although well located I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Dated, damp and not particularly friendly I was pretty glad to only stay one night. It's a bed for the night but don't expect any style or atmosphere, it's decidedly lacking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura K
eugene, or
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The best thing about this hotel was the location. You're within walking distance of the night market and also lots of shops and restaurants. The hotel room was okay. It was very basic but clean. There are two People Place hotels and they are right next to each other. I didn't realize that until I walked into the wrong hotel and wondered why nothing looked familiar. At first I thought I had just gone into a different part of the same hotel but the hotel clerk said there were 2 hotels and this was a newer one. I stayed at the older one. As far as amenities go, there wasn't much but that didn't really matter to me since I was out sightseeing most of the time. You can buy breakfast at the hotel which was pretty good. I loved Chaing Mai though and I would probably stay here again just because of the location. All I need is a clean room in a safe location with the basics and air conditoning to make me happy and this hotel provided that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pippi123
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We originally planned to stay for 7 nights but checked out after 1!

Our room was dirty and grim, the sheets hadn't been changed and the hotel staff refused to do anything until the following morning. By 11:30am there was still no sign of a clean sheet despite them offering to sort it at 8am.

The windows do not shut properly and there isn't a safe in the room. To top this off the bathroom has little to no ventilation and stinks of sewage.

We noticed on arrival there are 2 people place buildings unfortunately we got the older building named; People Place Lodging which is in need of renovating!

I would avoid this place at all costs as there are much better hotels available for similar prices.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luke R

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Emerson, New Jersey
Reviewed March 30, 2012

On a trip through northern Thailand our last stop before returning to Bangkok our group spent two nights in Chiang Mai. On the other nights in the tour we had stayed in guesthouses and a homestay. So going back to a hotel was a bit of a change for us.

First of all, there are two People Place buildings (1 & 2), we were in building 2. Not sure what the exact differences were. Check-in was fine, there was a little lobby for breakfast and behind the counter was a bunch of safes for personal items. Laundry and breakfast were both relatively expensive so we went to places just down the street. Laundry was down the alley and right on Sridonchai Rd. and there was a nice little coffee place right on Sridonchai Rd. In general the location was pretty good. Very close access to the night market, but relatively far from the city center and on the other side of Chiang Mai from the zoo and Doi Suthep.

If there was an elevator we didn't see it and used the stairs. We were on the third floor. Room was rather bare and characterless, but roomy. Bed was two twin beds pushed together to form a king and firm like all the beds in Thailand we encountered. Bathroom was functional and water warm. The one plus was the small balcony. It allowed us to dry some wet things outdoors which was nice, but there really wasn't room for sitting. A/C worked well. Wished we could have just had the windows open as it got somewhat cool at night.

A rather run of the mill hotel. Good place to sleep and hold your stuff, but not really a destination.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends