“Very average”

People Place (1st Building)
Ranked #142 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Although well located I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Dated, damp and not particularly friendly I was pretty glad to only stay one night. It's a bed for the night but don't expect any style or atmosphere, it's decidedly lacking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura K

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The best thing about this hotel was the location. You're within walking distance of the night market and also lots of shops and restaurants. The hotel room was okay. It was very basic but clean. There are two People Place hotels and they are right next to each other. I didn't realize that until I walked into the wrong hotel and wondered why nothing looked familiar. At first I thought I had just gone into a different part of the same hotel but the hotel clerk said there were 2 hotels and this was a newer one. I stayed at the older one. As far as amenities go, there wasn't much but that didn't really matter to me since I was out sightseeing most of the time. You can buy breakfast at the hotel which was pretty good. I loved Chaing Mai though and I would probably stay here again just because of the location. All I need is a clean room in a safe location with the basics and air conditoning to make me happy and this hotel provided that.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank pippi123
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We originally planned to stay for 7 nights but checked out after 1!

Our room was dirty and grim, the sheets hadn't been changed and the hotel staff refused to do anything until the following morning. By 11:30am there was still no sign of a clean sheet despite them offering to sort it at 8am.

The windows do not shut properly and there isn't a safe in the room. To top this off the bathroom has little to no ventilation and stinks of sewage.

We noticed on arrival there are 2 people place buildings unfortunately we got the older building named; People Place Lodging which is in need of renovating!

I would avoid this place at all costs as there are much better hotels available for similar prices.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luke R
Reviewed March 30, 2012

On a trip through northern Thailand our last stop before returning to Bangkok our group spent two nights in Chiang Mai. On the other nights in the tour we had stayed in guesthouses and a homestay. So going back to a hotel was a bit of a change for us.

First of all, there are two People Place buildings (1 & 2), we were in building 2. Not sure what the exact differences were. Check-in was fine, there was a little lobby for breakfast and behind the counter was a bunch of safes for personal items. Laundry and breakfast were both relatively expensive so we went to places just down the street. Laundry was down the alley and right on Sridonchai Rd. and there was a nice little coffee place right on Sridonchai Rd. In general the location was pretty good. Very close access to the night market, but relatively far from the city center and on the other side of Chiang Mai from the zoo and Doi Suthep.

If there was an elevator we didn't see it and used the stairs. We were on the third floor. Room was rather bare and characterless, but roomy. Bed was two twin beds pushed together to form a king and firm like all the beds in Thailand we encountered. Bathroom was functional and water warm. The one plus was the small balcony. It allowed us to dry some wet things outdoors which was nice, but there really wasn't room for sitting. A/C worked well. Wished we could have just had the windows open as it got somewhat cool at night.

A rather run of the mill hotel. Good place to sleep and hold your stuff, but not really a destination.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Location is what this place has going for it. The People Place is incredibly convenient to the night market. During the day, there were lots of great stores and restaurants within easy walking distance.

The rooms were pretty bad -- out of the three rooms we stayed in at different parts of our trip, one was tiny and lacked any view to the outside, one smelled (very strong) like sewage and cabbage, and one was okay (think prison cell). The wifi was pretty fast, but not free. The service was fine.

Everything was reasonably clean.

I can't imagine staying here again unless everything else in town was booked. There were so many inexpensive hotels and guesthouses in Chaing Mai, it just seems like you could find something better for the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheInternationalLine
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Great Location. We got the room for about £13 a night between two of us. Rooms are clean and basic. Close to all the ameneties. Would definately go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I have been staying at people place since 2003, maybe earlier. I love the location, and the staff and the rooms. I cannot add much to the other reviews except to say that I have never had a bad experience there, and the fact that I keep on returning should speak volumes.
It is probably true there may be slightly better hotels for the price in Chiang Mai, but not ones that have such a good location to the night Bazaar and newer Anusarn market and food court.
I have stayed in both building one and 2, and building one has standard Asian beds(hard), while 2 has softer beds but they squeak. I actually prefer the hard beds so I stay in building one.
If you are planning to come to Chiang Mai more then one time, ask for their "bonus card". It is a business card that gives you 200 baht discount on subsequent stays.
I agree the breakfast and internet and wi-fi are overpriced. About the lack of an elevator in building 1, the staff will always be more than happy to carry any bags if you ask.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business