“Great For Foodies and Chefs”

Baan Thai Cookery School
Ranked #20 of 74 Food & Drink in Chiang Mai
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our tour guide signed us up for the cooking school and it was fabulous. We had our own private class (which we didn't expect). We began our day going to the market, buying fresh ingredients. We then came back to the school and cooked a total of 8 dishes. The only down side was there was too much food and given we were staying at a hotel, we couldn't bring it home.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great fun"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked this through Chiangmai Tours just over 24 hrs before the course. Confirmation came by email and Baan Thai Cookery School picked me up at the arranged time from my hotel. The day started with information then a trip to the market. There were three groups of 8 people sitting together. We got to choose 6 dishes and grouped for cooking with others choosing the same dish. Snacks and water were provided with other soft drinks charged at only 20 baht.
Brilliant day with lovely tutors
Worth noting that it was 100 baht cheaper booking through Chiangmai Tours than the direct booking price.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Baan Thai Cookery School was a blast. We met some great people and really learned a lot about Thai cooking. I was excited to learn how to make curry paste and spring rolls and stir-fry. Apple was the class leader and was incredibly knowledgeable, spoke great english and was really funny. She made it a loose and fun atmosphere all while teaching the building blocks of Thai cooking. Also, they had refrigerators stocked full of cold beers and pop that you just took when you wanted and payed after class. So fun. I highly recommend Baan Thai...have fun!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I chose Baan Thai Cookery School because it was recommended to us and was nearby where I was staying and chose to do the Evening course.

The staff are Thai and spoke good English. They also can pick you up from your hotel and return.

The food selection is good and it's a great place to meet new people and enjoy cooking together.
I learnt a lot of interesting facts about different Thai ingredients. At the markets, they are happy to answer your questions and if they don't know they'd try to find out for you.

My only issue is when I want to take photos, it's very rushy as there's no stop once you start cooking (understandable). If you don't take photos the pace is fine.

PHOTO TIP
I suggest ask someone to help take photos of you and vice verser. Let them hang on to your camera and you hang on to theirs. (Note: You'll be sent to different cooking stations according to your selection.)

See more reviews
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Took an evening course (5 hours) for AUD $30, and was well impressed with what we got! Hotel transfers, a great friendly group and amazing instructors. There are plenty of cooking schools in Chiang Mai, but this is definitely one I would return to, and recommend to friends visiting!
Cooking is pretty easy to follow, even if you're useless in the kitchen (like me!), and although you separate from your group to cook each dish, you get to return at the end of every one and swap tastings!