“Meh....”

Mountain View Guest House
Ranked #91 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The website makes this place seem a lot better than it was in my experience.

Negatives:
The staff wasn't really helpful and didn't tell me anything about what the hostel offered.
They accept credit cards but there is a 2% surcharge added.
My room was cleanish but rather ugly.
The beds were not very comfortable and the pillows smelled mildly of wet dog

Positives:
They have computers available and charge only 10 baht for 30 minutes.
Relatively good location right by the north gate.

Not horrible but I won't be back given that there are so many other places to stay in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Chingu2012
There are newer reviews for Mountain View Guest House

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I arrived with a booking confirmation for a double room arranged by e-mail. When i got there, the women at the reception didn't even check the agenda or the computer, she said she had no trace of my booking and bring us to a twin room, with a massive dead cockroach in the bathroom. I know those insects are everywhere, but still, when you arrive in a new room, you expect it to be clean. She finally got us a double room when she saw we were disappointed by the first room.

In the morning, we decided to take the breakfast, but no one came to take the order. We I got to the counter, the women told me that she could have come, we waited for more than 15 minutes. The staff was never friendly or welcoming, the owner never said hello or good morning to anyone. He was just wandering around and winked at me weirdly once.

We decided to go on a 2 days trek in the jungle. We asked if it was possible to book the room to get it after the trek, the women said it was ok. Then, after the trek, the women told us that our room was taken (AGAIN), she got us a another room which we (and our neighbour) got no privacy at all. The walls were just there so that you don't see the people, but you can enjoy their conversation if you want.

I think there are a lot of hotel in Chiang Mai, and that you can get better for the same price. My advice : go away from that place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MaxyG87
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The staff was absolutely wonderful and the rooms are very comfortable for the price! Breakfast was delicious and served every morning starting at 7am. This guest house was the perfect place to stay for some peace and relaxation in Chiang Mai (if you are looking for something a little more private than a hostel). They happily stored my bags for me for over a week while I traveled to the islands for some sun. I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: You have your choice of single rooms, bunk rooms, king beds, and other various combinations.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mtupper70115
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My review is really more 3.5 rather than 4. Mountain View's appeal is that it has a great location in the old city, very near where Walking Street happens on Sundays. It is right by the North Gate. There's a 7/11 and street food right across the moat. Within walking distance are good spas and massage places. Right across the street is also a fantastic place to hang and listen to good music, the North Gate Coop.

The rooms are spartan but good enough. There are no frills at all apart from a small fridge in which you get large bottles of water everyday. One negative thing is that the bathrooms can get sauna-like in the afternoons.

There is a certain charm to the place since it is filled with plants and has a rustic feel to it. That said, it is like a mosquito central as well so load up on Off if you decide to stay. The price you pay for the place is good. There's a good restaurant as well. Laundry is cheap too.

They messed up a little on some charges to our room but that was sorted out okay with the staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sleepyinsomniac
Reviewed July 9, 2012

this place was a haven for my crew during our visit to chiang mai. safe and quiet, with some delicious lunch options, mountain view will remain in my great memories of the city. friendly staff. the fact that it is a 4 minute walk from the Northgate Jazz co-op doesn't hurt either!

Room Tip: tell them ahead of time the kind of setup you're looking for, and they'll be willing to acco...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Muminmimi
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I got the cheapest room I could here; a fan only room. It was damn hot even with the fan on, but for just 300tbt I can't complain. The room was simple, spacious and clean. The place itself is actually quite pleasant, though for some reason I always struggled to find it at night (on my moped). It was nothing special, but I stayed in the cheapest room so I have complaints at all.

Room Tip: A fan only room only works if you're used to very hot places!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2012

From your arrival you are welcomed into a safe haven built aroung a central garden and resturant. In the Old City opposit the Northen Gate. Mant great attractions withn walking didtance, many Wats, boutique shopping, many beautiful resturants in the surroundingsoi. Mangemnet very friendly and obliging. Every room had a very private position.and is very quiet you don't see anyone unless you want to. No stuffy coridors but lots of open spaces and multiple outdoor sitting areas. somerooms have a private balcont. Great value for money. The place is rather old but extremely clean and homely. Rustic, solid furnature. The airconditioner is silent.

Room Tip: Rooms are fan or airconditioner. For most of the year in Chiang Mai a fan is sufficient. April - Jun...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo