“Unfriendly staff, no organization, never again!”

Mountain View Guest House
Ranked #93 of 718 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Unfriendly staff, no organization, never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I arrived with a booking confirmation for a double room arranged by e-mail. When i got there, the women at the reception didn't even check the agenda or the computer, she said she had no trace of my booking and bring us to a twin room, with a massive dead cockroach in the bathroom. I know those insects are everywhere, but still, when you arrive in a new room, you expect it to be clean. She finally got us a double room when she saw we were disappointed by the first room.

In the morning, we decided to take the breakfast, but no one came to take the order. We I got to the counter, the women told me that she could have come, we waited for more than 15 minutes. The staff was never friendly or welcoming, the owner never said hello or good morning to anyone. He was just wandering around and winked at me weirdly once.

We decided to go on a 2 days trek in the jungle. We asked if it was possible to book the room to get it after the trek, the women said it was ok. Then, after the trek, the women told us that our room was taken (AGAIN), she got us a another room which we (and our neighbour) got no privacy at all. The walls were just there so that you don't see the people, but you can enjoy their conversation if you want.

I think there are a lot of hotel in Chiang Mai, and that you can get better for the same price. My advice : go away from that place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaxyG87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The staff was absolutely wonderful and the rooms are very comfortable for the price! Breakfast was delicious and served every morning starting at 7am. This guest house was the perfect place to stay for some peace and relaxation in Chiang Mai (if you are looking for something a little more private than a hostel). They happily stored my bags for me for over a week while I traveled to the islands for some sun. I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: You have your choice of single rooms, bunk rooms, king beds, and other various combinations.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank mtupper70115
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My review is really more 3.5 rather than 4. Mountain View's appeal is that it has a great location in the old city, very near where Walking Street happens on Sundays. It is right by the North Gate. There's a 7/11 and street food right across the moat. Within walking distance are good spas and massage places. Right across the street is also a fantastic place to hang and listen to good music, the North Gate Coop.

The rooms are spartan but good enough. There are no frills at all apart from a small fridge in which you get large bottles of water everyday. One negative thing is that the bathrooms can get sauna-like in the afternoons.

There is a certain charm to the place since it is filled with plants and has a rustic feel to it. That said, it is like a mosquito central as well so load up on Off if you decide to stay. The price you pay for the place is good. There's a good restaurant as well. Laundry is cheap too.

They messed up a little on some charges to our room but that was sorted out okay with the staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank sleepyinsomniac
Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

this place was a haven for my crew during our visit to chiang mai. safe and quiet, with some delicious lunch options, mountain view will remain in my great memories of the city. friendly staff. the fact that it is a 4 minute walk from the Northgate Jazz co-op doesn't hurt either!

Room Tip: tell them ahead of time the kind of setup you're looking for, and they'll be willing to acco...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Muminmimi
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I got the cheapest room I could here; a fan only room. It was damn hot even with the fan on, but for just 300tbt I can't complain. The room was simple, spacious and clean. The place itself is actually quite pleasant, though for some reason I always struggled to find it at night (on my moped). It was nothing special, but I stayed in the cheapest room so I have complaints at all.

Room Tip: A fan only room only works if you're used to very hot places!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Phnom Pehn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

From your arrival you are welcomed into a safe haven built aroung a central garden and resturant. In the Old City opposit the Northen Gate. Mant great attractions withn walking didtance, many Wats, boutique shopping, many beautiful resturants in the surroundingsoi. Mangemnet very friendly and obliging. Every room had a very private position.and is very quiet you don't see anyone unless you want to. No stuffy coridors but lots of open spaces and multiple outdoor sitting areas. somerooms have a private balcont. Great value for money. The place is rather old but extremely clean and homely. Rustic, solid furnature. The airconditioner is silent.

Room Tip: Rooms are fan or airconditioner. For most of the year in Chiang Mai a fan is sufficient. April - Jun...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This guest house is located at the north gate, not as busy as the other places but still have very easy excess to anywhere and everywhere. Just take a tuk-tuk or songtaeaw.
I stayed at this guest house with my parents and my sister. This guest house has basic facilities and it is extremely clean. The room cost 550 baht per night, and it comes with an air-con, tv (with english movie programmes too), hot and cold shower, fan, two beds, free wifi and etc. There was four of us so we took 2 rooms.

This guest house also have very nice courtyard and dining area. The guest house restaurant was also good and reasonably priced. But we ate at the hawker stall across the road. There were many shops that only open in the evening. There was especially one that serves pork stew rice (a beautiful lady wearing a cowboy hat), I can say that it was the best ever, My family and I ate 6 plates and each plate of pork stew rice only cost 30 baht! and we also ate there consecutively 3 nights. There is also another shop that sells dessert just in front of 7-eleven. The stall is very basic you can see that she sells some kind of a white soup it is soy bean soup. eat it with the fried brown thing. Very good MUST TRY OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!

There are also some souvenirs sold at the guest house lobby. Those necklaces and bags are made by ex prostitudes which were given a chance to live a new life. They were taught how to make bags and necklaces to make a living. Do support them, your little purchase can help them go a long way.

About the internet, if you did not bring any devices that could go online, they also have an internet cafe you could use with a little fee.

There is shopping mall located nearby reachable by walking. Just ask the lobby for a map and ask them to show you. There is also a 7-eleven and Tesco express located across the road.

I would definately return here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family