All reviewsold cityminute walksitting areasunday walking marketgood sizelesteraccouchtuk
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Stayed here for a week in March and loved it. Kerry the owner was more than helpful as were all the staff, they helped us with our tour bookings which were all very enjoyable, good value and saved us a lot of trouble running around ourselves.
Given the cheapness of this place I dont see how anyone could complain. The rooms were all extremely clean, comfortable and K erry is gradually doing up the little bathrooms. Ok so the bathrooms are small...but they do the job...how long does one spend in the bathroom anyway?
The meals were great...cheap and plenty of it! We had breakfast there most mornings and it was good, the cook was also happy to try anything not on the menu too, if possible.
The little front area was a great place to sit and have a cold beer after a day out exploring too. It was also easy to get a tuk tuk outside or alternately it was not too far to walk into the old city.
I would stay there again without any hesitation. All the best to K erry and her crew on a great little place

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Excellent stay. Good location, peaceful, friendly & gay friendly

G&S Austria / UK

• Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Stayed here for about 6 nights early August '08.

Overall it was a decent place to stay and good value at 500 baht per night, which is about $16. It would have to be pretty bad for me to complain about anything at that price point. In fact for the money I'd say it was good value. On the other hand you might be able to do better for only a few dollars more.

The main thing i didn't like about the room was that the curtains were not very light tight which meant the room didn't get dark at night. I find it hard to get to sleep in a bright room & there was a fair amount of light spilling in from outside.

The bathroom problems have been written about in other reviews so need to go through it here again. The bathroom was a bit too small & the shower water pressure was just adequate. I was by myself which was OK but I think for two people sharing a room this will be a problem as the second person will be entering a very wet room after the first person has showered.

Also the air con had its limitations. It's either on or off. Sometimes on gets too cold so it would have been nice to have a control to turn the fan down a bit.

Apart from that the room was fine - bed was comfortable, TV reception good.

The Thai staff were all nice & helpful. I had breakfast there everyday & the food was good & reasonably priced. I never had lunch or dinner there as I was always out touring around but from the menu & what I saw of the staff in the kitchen I had the feeling the food would be good. It's hard to get bad food in Thailand - they know their stuff.

The downstairs eating area was nice & the outside lounging area was very pleasant. The location is pretty good & it's easy enough to grab a tuk tuk or taxi in Chiang Mai.

If I was going to Chiang Mai again I would possibly stay at the Seven Suns but I'd also check what else was available. I think it would be more convenient for me to stay more in the north east sector & walking around there I saw a lot of guest houses in the back streets that looked cheap & quiet. If I found a place there at a good price & with better bathrooms & curtains then that would probably be swing me.

I don't want the above to sound like a major criticism, just an accurate representation of my experience. If I'd hated the place I could have easily checked out & found somewhere else, but I quite happily stayed for 6 nights.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We had a terrific stay at the Seven Suns. The hotel staff, especially the owner, are friendly and very helpful. The owner was a huge help in recommending restaurants, cooking classes, where and when to shop, temples etc.
After a day of touring the city, it was great to come back to a nicely decorated, very clean and comfortable room.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed for a few nights at the 7 Suns last December, and having seen what else there is on offer, wish we had stayed elsewhere.

The Guest House itself is clean and the staff reasonably friendly. The location was for us the best part - away from the noise of the Night Market and in the peace of the Old City, in the "real" Chiang Mai. Ratchadammoen Road is close by and some good, cheap restaurants available there - try the Brick Road Cafe for breakfast. The rooms were "quirky" if one's taste is badly painted interior decoration, small and the furniture distinctly tired. Food was expensive for what it was and we ate elsewhere. The fact that at the rate we paid breakfast was not included was surprising.

Chiang Mai is full of Guest Houses. There's nothing wrong with the Seven Suns, but nothing particularly to commend it either. As regular visitors to CM, sorry, but we won't be going back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pigman58
kreeChiangMai, owner at Seven Suns, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2008

Hi Tanapat,
Sorry that Seven Suns was not more to your taste! Our room themes are not for everyone, but most people find them fun and a change from the usual. What a great diversity we live in with the global community, it would be pretty boring if we were all the same now? Funny most people think our food is too cheap compared with other local fare, guess we are all different. Hope you continue to enjoy Chiang Mai and all it has to offer.