Ways to Experience Wat Suan Dok
from $31.08
from $47.65
from $33.63
More Info
All reviews old city main chedi buddhist temple meditation replica donation
Selected filters
Reviewed August 27, 2019

This Wat is a must see for me every time I visit Chiang Mai. I first visited it in 1998. The structure and statues are just magnificent.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed August 18, 2019

Wat Dok Suan Dok located just West of the old walled part of Chiang Mai city is a very old temple known for its large number of white chedis or pagodas. This temple was built in 1373, this monastery enshrines one half of a sacred Buddha relic; the other half was transported by white elephant to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. The main chedi is a gilded and in the Sri Lankan style, 48 meters high, a bell-shaped structure that rises above a sea of white memorial chedi honoring the Thai royal family. The large number of smaller white chedis contain the ashes of members of several generations of the Chiang Mai Royal Family. The ashes were brought here from several places in Chiang Mai as requested by Princess Dara Rasmi, wife of King Rama V in the early 20th century.
We did spend some time chatting with a monk which was very nice and enriching.
The temple's large wiharn, or prayer hall has wax figures of dead monks which are so real looking that my son thought they were alive. I thought they were alive at the beginning until I noticed they weren’t moving, they are that real looking. THe temple is nice bit probably note as impressive as some of the other temples we visited.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank ephyfe
Reviewed July 11, 2019

The temple is amazing; we loved the White temple, its garden and museum. There were amazing colorful paintings about the relationship of Buddhism and real living world. Impressive. Was the best of the whole trip.

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank maxivan99
Reviewed June 27, 2019 via mobile

I found the wat itself less attractive than many in Chiang Mai. There is a lot of coloured glass inside the temple, so it is bright and rather gaudy. It was quiet when we visited.

The monk chat was great. We spoke to two monks from Nepal studying at the local university and living on the mountain. Their English was good, and we had a great conversation.

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed June 10, 2019

Essentially a resting place for the faithful departed, this is a lovely, almost all white set of monuments. Think of it as a very elaborate and fancy graveyard. It was lovely and I'm so glad we go to see it.

Date of experience: May 2019