“the Best place ever!!!!!!!”

Sabai Day Guesthouse
Sabai Day Guesthouse
Ranked #275 of 720 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Newport Beach, California
“the Best place ever!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

This place is so amazing! It is the coziest place in Chiang Mai, it is also in the best area! This fabulous place is located in the center of Nimman soi 3! from that place, everything is walking distance. This place is run, by the best people ever! They are soooooo sweet! for only USD: $30.00 per night! it is amazing! I recommend staying there for a lot of nights and then on your last night stay at the most luxurious place I recommend the ayatana which is very beautiful. BUT DEFIANTLY SABAI DAY!!!! This place is good for anything!!!!

Room Tip: ask for room 5 or 6! The Best!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chiangmailover13

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Value, courtesy and all that you need when you stay in Chiang Mai!! The accommodations are clean and spacious. The location is in one of the best neighborhoods of Chiang Mai with excellent dining, shopping, and pampering experiences all within walking distance! And even with all the activity in the area, this jewel is located on one of the more quiet and private Soi's (lanes/streets) of Nimman. And if you want to venture out to other areas of Chiang Mai, e.g. the Night Bazaar, temples, etc., it is very easy to get a tuk-tuk or red truck (a form of taxi in Chiang Mai) The owner/operators are on-site and are so helpful and courteous. Sabai Day offers a full breakfast, can get your laundry done for a very reasonable fee, arrange for transport or rental cars and recommend tours. Unlike many hotels, they do not push any one activity or tour group. With Sabai Day's help we rented a car one day to drive up to the mountains and craft villages. The car was delivered to the hotel, there was no problem parking the car overnight and the car was picked up the next day. Easy!
We were a family of three-my Mother, my 13 yr old daughter and me. We had two rooms which were very comfortable. We stayed for 10 days. My only regret is that we took my brother's recommendation to experience a luxury "Lanna" style resort nearer to the mountains for our last night in Chiang Mai...It was super expensive, the "royal suite" was covered in dust upon arrival, my daughter's allergies flared up due to the dust even after cleaning, the mosquitos were a mess and no one explained what was available, re services offered, etc. We all agreed that we should have stayed at Sabai Day!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room because many come with a nice balcony!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband & I stayed for 1 night (Xmas Day) and really enjoyed our stay. The whole place has a quirky art deco feel and the rooms are spacious, well appointed and clean, particularly considering the price. Staff are lovely and really helpful would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed one night at Sabai Day. Although the guesthouse itself was nice and the staff friendly, we had a misunderstanding that complicated our stay. I don't feel it's their fault, but I wish things had gone different.

The day before we checked in, I reserved their standard room with no balcony at 950B/night. There are standard rooms at the front of the building with beautiful balconies, and they cost the same; however, they were fully booked at the time. When I reserved the room, the owner asked me how long I would be staying. I told him I might be staying a few nights, but I'd rather confirm the next day if that was OK. He assured me it was.

And so, we checked in, and found the room to our liking. I asked to stay a few days beyond the first night, only to learn our room was not available beyond one night. The next day, we would have to move to a "Deluxe" room on the ground floor, then to another room after that, and on and on for four nights until we'd have to leave because the place was then fully booked. Needless to say, we found somewhere else to stay. What made this proposition worse was that every day we were required to check out at noon sharp, then wait for 2 PM to check in to our new temporary room.

The Standard room was quite pleasant, with big windows letting light in, and very comfortable beds. At the time of this writing (December 2013), there is ongoing construction nearby that made for a grumpy early morning wake-up. Wifi is available in public areas, but we could connect from our room. It would have been nice to have a balcony room, especially since they are the same price.

We also visited the "Deluxe" room where we were supposed to move for the second night, and I cannot recommend it, especially at the price of 1150B. For some inexplicable reason, this room features carpets instead of tiles. It's slightly bigger than the Standard, but the Standard is already big enough. Finally, it has an attached "garden," basically a pile of potted plants in a small enclosed patio. There's no reason to book this room instead of a Standard with balcony.

Do note that despite calling themselves a "Bed and Breakfast," there is no breakfast to be had at Sabai Day. They have instant coffee down by the entrance, but that's it. It's located at the end of a quiet soi (construction notwithstanding), and there are tons of nice if upscale cafés and restaurants nearby.

It's really too bad we couldn't work something out with the owners. I feel that a big part of the issue with our shortened stay was miscommunication, and they were perfectly civil about the whole thing. But it's really too bad that what started with a positive first impression turned into a rushed and disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Standard with balcony seem the best value. Deluxe rooms, with no balcony, are not worth the price hi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sabaiday, Manager at Sabai Day Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Triseult,
First of all, Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your review about our hotel on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, including areas of opportunity. We would like to apologize for this inconvenience because we have limited room amount (only 7 rooms).
Also we have breakfast upon request and it's charged THB 100 per serve which it's not included in room charge.
Finally, we apologize for construction behind the guesthouse that made for early morning wake up where is not part of our building. They plan to finish in next 2 months.
We look forward to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sabaiday in the future.