“Good Location.”

Chiang Mai Gate Hotel
Ranked #116 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour. Hotel is in good location and I was able to walk to the things I wanted to see.
Check in was quick and easy and I was given room 331 which was quite a big room but no balcony which was disappointing. This was also an adjoining room and there was a door that separated the 2 rooms. I was able to hear the guests next door talking etc.The room appeared clean and everything in good condition. Toiletries were provided in the bathroom, including shower cap. Towels clean. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and the shower was great to use with great water pressure.
Wifi was not available in the room which was disappointing as most of the other hotels in South East Asia I stayed in had free wifi in the room . The wifi in the lobby was very temperamental also and very very slow!
Breakfast expensive and not worth the price so I went to a small restaurant called Mario608 or something like that which is opposite the hotel slightly up the road on the left. Food was great there and also free good wifi. There is also a bakery on the same side of the road of the hotel on the right. Great pastries.
The pool looked very green. I didn't go in but a friend commented that the sides very very slimy!
Check out is at 12, but we were not leaving until 3 and were able to leave our bags in the lobby.
Didn't use the Tv so cannot comment on that.

All in all, a good hotel. I would stay again.

Room Tip: 331 had no balcony so if you need one do not get this room. Its also an adjoining room so I would av...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nataleec7

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here in February for two nights. First impressions of the hotel is it's in an ok position not to far from the hustle and bustle of the town but far enough not to hear it. The rooms are very small and you would struggle to swing a cat in the bathroom, though they are clean and tastefully decorated. Breakfast is very good with plenty of choice and all cooked very well. Pool area is ok with a few tables and chairs to sit at, and the pool is clean. Wifi is only available in the reception area, but it us free. We would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bolton737
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The chiang mai gate hotel is a good starting point in chiang mai. Rooms were nice, the bathrooms with a nice twist. They were reasonably sized and clean. Breakfast was according to thai standard with limited choice for the european/italian stomach. The restaurant was ok. I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel has potential to be excellent, but there were too many issues to give it more than an average rating. The rooms are nicely decorated if a little small, and it can be difficult negotiating the bathroom in the dark. The cleaners are not very generous at replenishing toiletries. No tea/coffee making facilities in rooms. Beds were on the firm side as seems the norm in Thailand, but the pillows were also very hard.

The hotel is well located close to the Chiang Mai Gate itself, and in a not too touristy area.

Breakfast offers a very limited choice if you prefer Western breakfast, with no croissants/pastries, and only eggs and mini frankfurter sausages for 'English' breakfast. There is an egg cooking area outside the dining room (we missed it first day) but the egg chef seemed reluctant to make omelettes and looked knowingly at the pre cooked fried and scrambled eggs when I requested one, and he/she wasn't even present much of the time.

The reception area is usually packed with cases/rucksacks, and gives the impression of people always leaving rather than people arriving. I would not normally comment on wi-fi as I take it or leave it, but every other hotel has it so it became an expectation. Wi-fi was only available in reception without extra payment, and was very poor other than very early morning.

Surprisingly the hotel has no evening dining, only snacks, and though we would not dine at a hotel, some people may find this a problem. The pool area is average, with many of the loungers being broken. Another problem that we didn't encounter elsewhere was many guests talking loudly to each other from opposite ends of the corridor despite signs asking not to make noise. This hotel must attract a certain type of guest.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I used to stay at this hotel while living in Bangkok, circa 1997-2001; and stayed there again in 2004. I used to like it as I felt it was good value (then about 700 baht a night); but I would stay in the old part on the back side, which I actually preferred, which used to be called Chatree Guest House. They added the new portion about 15 years ago. The new portion was much more expensive and looked like any run of the mill US hotel. This time was a big disappointment; the rooms start at 1800 baht; about 55 USD and even the rooms in what used to be the new wing were not near worth the price; carpets at this point are stained and dirty; bed very very average or less; windows dirty; dirt and stains on wall around light fixtures, etc. Room really a bit drab. If I am going to pay 55. USD for a room in Thailand, it should be MUCH MUCH nicer than what Chiangmai Gate is charging. Breakfast is okay; nothing special. Front desk helpful. Pool area is now looking tattered, worn, dirty. The lounge chairs are old and breaking down; one came apart when the guest next to me pulled on it; all the pool furniture needs to be replaced and the whole pool area refurbished. So skip this hotel; I only went there because I'd had previous good experiences on many occasions, but it has deteriorated and the price is really over the top. Go across the street to Smith Residence and book a cleaner room and enjoy the small but clean roof top pool; and the price is 650 baht, one third of the price I paid. No breakfast, but really, with the heaps of great cafes in Chiang Mai, you can get a lovely breakfast with coffee for 100 baht or less. SKIP THIS HOTEL; you have so many choices of better guest houses and hotels in Chiang Mai; I found lovely gorgeous Thai style hotels and Guest Houses.

Room Tip: I like top floors of hotels and end rooms, away from lifts and noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I didn't like it here. Smelly rooms, awful breakfast, cigarette holes in furniture. The best about the hotel might be the location: close to night markets, temples, restaurants. Pool ok for a swim after 2 day hike.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

By the time I got CMG hotel I had been traveling for 5 weeks through South East Asia. I had been staying on a backpacker budget so this hotel was going to be our final (and only) expensive hotel. And honestly, I had stayed in cheaper places which I would consider better.

The free wifi was only in the lobby, and it was some of the worst Internet I had had in Asia (and I had just been in Laos, a much less developed country).

We had to catch a train and had to leave the hotel at 3pm. We asked if we could have the room till that time, which was only an extra three hours after check out, and were told it would cost an extra 500 baht. We said no, and we gave them our bags to look after for the three hours; which they just left near the staircase and didn't lock up anywhere.

The beds were were very comfy, but the room got very stuffy even with the air con on; and we were there in winter. I can only imagine how hot it gets in summer. The TV is mediocre, but we didn't go to Chaing Mai to watch TV so that didn't bother us.

The bathroom was big, and they give you shampoo, shower gel and a shower cap; however the shower curtain had mildew growing on it, and smelt a little funky when you had a shower. I also found the shower the most difficult thing to wrangle; the tap got too hot to touch and the water would shift between hot and cold and the pressure was very very high.

Their tour desk charges very inflated prices, however they do offer a free shuttle to the night market, train station and airport, which is great. But the reception desk are not the friendliest of people.

The pool and surrounds is very nice.
The breakfast was not bad, but considering it was an extra 200-300 baht (I can't remember exactly) I probably would have expected slightly better quality.

The location is close to the food market, and the the Chiang Mai gate, which was good. But other than that there isn't a whole lot of stuff around.

Not a bad place to stay, but for the price you could find an AMAZING little guesthouse in the old town.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends