“Good location, Good hotel with some flaws”

Chiang Mai Gate Hotel
Ranked #105 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Good location, Good hotel with some flaws”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights. I feel it was a good value for the money. It has a pretty nice lobby area and pool. The room itself is dated but nice. The bed is very large but not particularly comfortable. It was nice having a balcony and a bathroom with a tub. The in room safe is large enough for a laptop. My main complaint is that we didn't get wifi in the room. We would have to go down to the lobby for wifi. That seems small but when you need to send some emails it is a real pain. I loved the location. It is near the Chiang Mai gate, which is you have seem the map of Chiang Mai that most places give out, is the bottom edge. Every night there is a food market right by the gate with all kinds of food vendors. It's a great place to grab dinner. It is also very close to the Saturday night market. The sunday market is about a 20 minute walk away but there are cool temples along the way. The Night Bizarre is more like a 40 minute walk away but its a scenic walk. You could always take a red truck and get there real quick. One thing to note, if you are easily distracted while trying to relax at the pool then this may not be great for you. Behind the back wall of the pool are roosters and they crow all day. Literally until sun down. The mini bar prices in room aren't bad but there is a convenient store on the same block that has everything that is available in room for cheaper.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jawkurt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
seremban
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Chiang Mai Gate has undergone a wonderful transformation since 2012 with a more art decoish looking lobby and the surroundings. I have stayed here all the time when I am here and the reasons are very simple, quiet ambience, wonderful staff from the bell boys to the manager on duty, breakfast with one of the best black coffee in Chiang Mai, clean and comfy bedroom with cable tv and just minutes away from everywhere. You can just rest here and spent time reading in the lobby or just travel away from Ching Mai with the many tour shops in and near the hotel. Recommended as always.

Room Tip: Any rooms above the 3rd floor should be quiet but then, the neighbouring area is also peaceful so yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank norhisham
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My first time with my boy's friend here, and We are satisfy that this hotel is staying in the good location, where you can go around Chiangmai, It's near shopping street road on Saturday night.Room style is very impressive with the Lanna style. Service from reception is not too bad and not best so. For the breakfast, I see in website that is ABF and it's not too bad to have some Thai food too. The receptionist is vary cute and handsome, I like him too much.
For transferring from/to airport is ok. and anywhere you'll go, you can tell the receptionist and they will manage their car to support us.

Not impressive are too much too.
First, sanitary equipment inside the bathroom is not ok, when it fall on the floor, it's broken. be carefully to using it.

Second, room service from housekeeper, when I go outside she will cleaning our room and may be I'm not sure, me body gel is disappear, it;s not too much, and I see it's not my importance thing for me. They also have safety box for you, but do you think, should I keep my gel inside that ? I think not. Another one is water, If they see that we have it inside refrigerator, they will not add more.

Third, my package is contain Thai massage, and their staff is okay for service that. My boy's friend and I found something wrong that is she is very interest in my personal profile, and she don't have the good lady'Thai manner.

Fourth, the information from receptionist is not match. I call him before I go to there about Motorcycle for rent, they told me, they have it 24 hours, but when I arrived, I need to wait for 1 hour and a half, so taking my travelling time, I'll try to understand that

And I think If you just need to take a rest in some hotel in the shorten night not all day, I recommend you here. but if not, you should find some more.

Cheer!!

Room Tip: For couple, just deluxe room is enough for staying.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed here on a G Adventures tour twice. The lobby is large and welcoming, and the staff are friendly. We were offered a glass of juice on arrival. The room was a good size - we had enough space for for our luggage, but we had the air con unit on the balcony and when the door was open this was very noisy. When the door was closed it wasn't as loud but you could still hear it. The minibar snacks/drinks were priced well considering you're in a hotel. It is well located, there are lots of massage places on the same road. We opted for a massage somewhere other than the hotel as it was cheaper. Also there was a picture of a woman having a massage by the pool, when we asked about this they said they don't do that - a bit of false advertising for you. I didn't use the pool, but the water didn't look very clear. There's no safe in the room, but they do offer safety deposit boxes at the reception for free of charge.

The wifi is free, but only available by the pool/in the lobby. At times it is very slow and doesn't even connect. A friend paid to go onto the computer, but this was also very slow and she asked for her money back. The breakfast was ok, mainly hot food with some fruit, but freshly cooked eggs were on offer. We were recommended a really nice bakery though, turn right out of the hotel and keep walking down, it's on one of the corners, great price and very friendly in there.

You can take a truck truck/taxi to the night market for not too much and enjoy the hustle and bustle of that or a ladyboy show. There are some bargains to be had, and really haggle because it's worth doing. I might stay here again but I would also consider other hotels in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Aisha K
Singapore
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The rooms are quite basic , same with breakfast, very simple fare. Only if you happen to be there on Saturday night, it's walking distance to Wulai Saturday walking street. One of the best part of this location was proximity to Chiang Mai Gate market, which is a local wet market and you get to see first hand the local produce. There's a decent massage place just across from the hotel. Again, nothing fancy. I will try other hotels next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My first time here with my friend. I stayed only a night here.
- Best location , near shopping street road
- Nice and friendly staffs
- Room is clean and tidy.
- fair breakfast (not much menu)

Will back here once again, when i have chance back to Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: corner room with garden view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We really loved staying at this hotel. Not only was it a few mins walk from a very centralized part o f the attractions, restaurants and shopping we so much enjoyed, but the staff was extremely knowledgeable helpful and nice. We enjoyed the conveniences of the massage shop, breakfast and free wi-fi. My only area of improvement was that we ran out of toilet paper twice and felt that it should be more adequately stocked. There's also a lovely bakery down the street-- Baan Bakery.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple