“Karen Village - Very Disappointing”
Review of Hilltribe Villages

$104.80*
Lisu Lodge Hill Tribe Overnight Experience from Chiang Mai
$84.10*
and up
Private Tour: Golden Triangle, Mekong River and Laos Village Experience from...
Ranked #73 of 263 things to do in Chiang Mai
Type: Other
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was so looking forward to seeing the "Long Neck People" of Karen Village in Chiang Mai - and was extremely disappointed. You pay 500 Baht p/p to simply walk through some thatched huts with people selling their wares. The night markets in Chiang Mai are much, much better and are free!! I assumed we would see a show, or have some sort of interaction with the people for that entrance fee but you get nothing but the opportunity to purchase. We were in and out in 10 minutes! I would not recommend this at all.

4  Thank Ursula M

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Nice experience, but definetly commercialized. As a tourist you are expected to buy something, anything. I was going for more of the cultural experience, which I didn't really get. The women speak a variety of languages to be certain that you understand the prices. No confusion with that.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a good place to visit and really put your own life in perspective. The government specifically plucked these tribes from Burma to keep the traditions of this tribe alive. You won't need much time but you pay 500 baht that will help fund their poverty. It is neat to see their long necks in person and feel how heavy the coils are. They don't have much to sell, the same stuff you'll see all over Thailand but they will be friendly and if your lucky one of the lady's has a guitar and will play for you.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The native are into business!!! understand they do not have much source of income however we went there to learn the way of their life.. however each family have their own souvenir stall and expecting each tourist to purchase something.. and its not cheap!!! better deal at night bazaar...

1  Thank Vignesh G
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We went on an inclusive tour to the Golden Triangle and visiting the hill tribes was part of it. We visited the Akha tribe originally from China and the Palong long necked tribe from Burma. Our tour price included the Akha tribe, a lovely people but for sure the stars of the show were the long necked people. We had to pay an extra 300baht to walk the 10 metres across a bridge that separated the tribes. At first I was intrigued as I clicked away and listened to the tour guide educate us in the ways of the Palong but after a little while I felt that they were part of a freak show and we were paying to watch. They seemed quite content to sit and pose while we snapped away with our cameras and then gestured towards their wares for us to peruse and purchase. By the time I had done the circuit I did feel as though they were being exploited and we were a part of it. I was told all of our entrance fee would go to the Palong people so I can only hope it does, as they don't qualify for Thai health or welfare; it has to come out of their own pocket.

1  Thank Jennie M