“Skip this one”

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Skip this one”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Hill Tribe is located about 20 minutes from Chiang Mai (just past Tiger Kingdom). My suggestion is to skip this one. It is not an authentic village. The people living there are refugees from neighboring countries. This is not their original home.

Yes. It is interesting to see the long necked women with the golden coils around their neck ; but it is really just a market that you pay for the honour to shop in. This was the most expensive entry of every place we visited (500 baht each) and we were only there for about ten minutes. As you walk around they all just tell you to buy things from them. As other reviewers have mentioned, the children are very eager to separate you from your money. It made me feel bad.

There are other places where you can buy the hill tribe scarves and purses.

My recommendation is to leave this one out of your tour plans. (People tried to tell us this; but we didn't listen)

Visited November 2012

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“The real deal, kinda”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Visiting the Hilltribe Villages is a bit contrived, indeed, but it does give you the best opportunity you'll have to see what the hilltribe people wear and look like. They are the real deal, just living here for a certain time period before being replaced by others. You can buy great gifts here all made by the hill tribe people; we bought textiles and trinkets, which we treasure.

Visited March 2012
4 Thank M J B
Kuala Lumpur
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Seemed so unreal...”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited the Karen Long Neck village. The village seemed so unreal where the girls had heavy golden chains around their neck, posing for pictures at their huts, with their wares for sale. There were also little children running about asking for 20 Bhat from us and other tourists. And when we boarded our van, one of our group member finally gave one little girl 20 Bhat and before we knew it, several other kids were surrounding him! And the kids were most displeased and showed us angry faces when they did not get any money!

Visited August 2012
Rayong, Thailand
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Interesting but not really authentic”
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

The padaung people can't really be authentic, as they're unable to live life normally in Thailand. I found that, though interesting to see these interesting woman who still practice their tradition, it was more like "come gawk at these people, and buy their stuff to say than you for the photo." of course, I bought a few nick knacks, and took a few photos. I do hope they may return to their traditional way of life in Burma, soon... For the sake of their dignity, their happiness and their continued traditions.

OXFORD UK
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Great experience....but bit too commercial....”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I went to the one near the Mae sae Elephant camp and the fee was included in my trip...I did visit the Karen Long Neck Hilltribe and Akha Tribe Villages and saw some Lahu women there too....ome of the villagers/stall holders were too pushy trying to sell their staff but I did buy some to cheer her up and she was very cheeky saying I had money buy more,she had 3 kids and no food...???? Well we all got kids but this is not the way but never mind....I was enjoying taking some amazing photos of the local tribe women and bought what I wanted at the price I wanted to pay...so they could be pushy as much as they like,don't let this ruin your experience,as I noticed many people getting rather edgy with the pushy selling style...you pay to get in,it includes taking photos,do not buy if you don't want to,you don't have to...

Visited June 2012