“The worst guesthouse I've stayed in Thailand!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
Ranked #32 of 711 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Sicily, Italy
“The worst guesthouse I've stayed in Thailand!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

I've stayed in this place for almost one week for a course that I have done in Chiang Mai (that's why they didn't bother too much for selling me the excursions). But as soon as I arrived they insisted on paying me one week (I just wanted to try and stay few nights first) telling me that I wouldn't have find any room around Chiang Mai because it was high season: completely wrong because there are lots of guesthouse in Chiang Mai!
The room was quite clean but the mattress was so uncomfortable that I had to sleep in my sleeping bag! Just half roll of toilet paper and if you need it you have to ask for it every time at the reception (quite embarassing!).
The service is the worst: awful!! Especially the oldest sister and the old woman (I think the mother). Very, very rude!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pimpi123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

The Libra Guesthouse is centrally situated, very clean and has well informed, English speaking staff.
The cheaper rooms are overpriced for Chiang Mai and only have cold water, although they were very clean (and a little noisy).
As soon as you check in the staff leap on you attempting to sell you treks and/or various other excursions (just what you want after a sleepless night on a bus). It was made clear to me that I was not welcome to stay more than 2 nights without buying any of the activities offered.
A ggod guesthouse, but only if you are going to spend additional monies with them.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

You can leave all your valuables in your room when you go out as you can lock your room door with your own padlock * bedrooms, dining/general purpose areas are constantly cleaned by smiling staff * 7 of us paid only 743Bahts per person for 5days/4nights in air-conditioned ensuite with hot/cold shower, toilet [2 doubles and & 1 triple] * Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners available around 100~300Bahts per serving * English speaking reception desk staff most helpful with directions/maps/recommendations * Chill out in the lush/shady garden with 6 hammocks * 4 internet terminals with web cams/headphones available for only 10Bahts per 15minutes * traditional Thai massage available by arrangement * checkout their website: http://www.librahousechiangmai.com/

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
tanoshiitabi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

I thought the rooms at Libra guesthouse was great. It was very clean, tidy and bright. However I was a bit upset to find out later on from a guy that stayed there the same time I did only paid 250bht for his room with hot shower & fan, when I paid 350bht!!

And the staff there aren't really that friendly and helpful. They are just doing their job and will not make extra effort to help. And the girl who I believe is the older sister of the owner, Dao, is just one nasty girl. Rude rude rude! Internet also too expensive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Arrived into Chiang Mai, on the same basis as the rest of my trip to thailand, I had three weeks, no itinerary, no plan, and a guidebook. As a result, when I got off a train at the station I had no accomodation booked. A couple of english guys ended up talking to were saying they had booked this place and I went to check it out.

The reason the other guys had booked here was to go trekking as this it's specialist area, this again wasnt something I had even considered but the group was one short and the guys going were all about my age and english speaking so it seemed like a good enough idea.
As a single occupant the young lady straight up offered me a deal on a double and I managed to get a beautiful room, with air con and en-suite (toilet and perfectly acceptable shower) for 250 Baht if I recall which is about £5 per night. I have never slept so well in a hotel/hostel/whatever such a comfortable bed, really clean really tidy and very safe. Probably the most I paid for a room in Thailand but heaps better than any other I stayed in.
The hotel also had a restaurant/bar/casual area and I had breakfast here every morning as it was no more expensive than the surrounding restaurants and they were happy to put it onto 'the room' so I didn't have to faff about with actual money.
Probably spent 4 nights here, not including the night out camping, really enjoyed it nice city, great hostel, more like a hotel with hostel prices.

The only two things I would highlight as negatives were
1. the kitchen/bar area closed early (8-9??) and I had become quite accustomed to eating late in Thailand, would also have been nice to be able to socialise with a beer there in the evening.
2. On the actual camping trip pretty much everybody got sick, I don't know if it was from food or water but just about everybody got it. I suspect it's a very regular thing for westerners however. (It is however the only time i've ever been ill in SE asia in several trips)

The cleanest, friendliest and most comfortable 'hostel' I've stayed in in SE Asia and would reccomend it to anybody, not just the 20's backpacker groups but older couples also. Excellent value for money, a swimming pool would have been the icing on the cake (I could even see one from bathroom window)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

By far the friendliest guest house we have stayed in. There is an amazing atmosphere created by this caring and hospitable family. The guest house is efficiently run, kept clean and is truly value for money. We have stayed 9 days (including a trek) and wish we had the time to stay longer. Dao, you have been a gift to us, we value the times we spent chatting with you. Todo, you are an incredible tour guide. Memories of rafting, caving and riding elephants will live on forever and always with your laughter in the background. I recommend Libra to anyone staying in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

The Libra guest house is a great place to stay. Dao, toto and pui are very friendly hosts and the rooms are absolutely fine. If you want luxury and depressing subservience you should find a 5 star hotel. But if you're looking for a friendly, busy home from home, to meet new people and get advice on great treks and cookery classes this is the place. I've looked back through some of the reviews here in disbelief. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion but Dao (who is the public face of the guest house) is not rude, or pushy. She has a great and irreverent sense of humour. Likewise toto's tours are relaxed, insightful and entertaining - he's not a professor of tribes people but he answered all of my questions about the tradition and culture of the Karin tribe just fine.  As
we left libra to continue our travels (in transportation to the airport that they provided) I felt a little sad to leave the place behind. I'm now waiting for the ferry at koh pagnhan and it's becoming apparent I might spend more in a day here than in my five days in Chiang Mai. Thank you for a great time libra!!

• Stayed January 2011