“Good guesthouse, but ultimately only interested in selling treks/courses”
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
Ranked #33 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 19, 2011

The Libra Guesthouse is centrally situated, very clean and has well informed, English speaking staff.
The cheaper rooms are overpriced for Chiang Mai and only have cold water, although they were very clean (and a little noisy).
As soon as you check in the staff leap on you attempting to sell you treks and/or various other excursions (just what you want after a sleepless night on a bus). It was made clear to me that I was not welcome to stay more than 2 nights without buying any of the activities offered.
A ggod guesthouse, but only if you are going to spend additional monies with them.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed February 19, 2011

You can leave all your valuables in your room when you go out as you can lock your room door with your own padlock * bedrooms, dining/general purpose areas are constantly cleaned by smiling staff * 7 of us paid only 743Bahts per person for 5days/4nights in air-conditioned ensuite with hot/cold shower, toilet [2 doubles and & 1 triple] * Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners available around 100~300Bahts per serving * English speaking reception desk staff most helpful with directions/maps/recommendations * Chill out in the lush/shady garden with 6 hammocks * 4 internet terminals with web cams/headphones available for only 10Bahts per 15minutes * traditional Thai massage available by arrangement * checkout their website: http://www.librahousechiangmai.com/

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I thought the rooms at Libra guesthouse was great. It was very clean, tidy and bright. However I was a bit upset to find out later on from a guy that stayed there the same time I did only paid 250bht for his room with hot shower & fan, when I paid 350bht!!

And the staff there aren't really that friendly and helpful. They are just doing their job and will not make extra effort to help. And the girl who I believe is the older sister of the owner, Dao, is just one nasty girl. Rude rude rude! Internet also too expensive.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Arrived into Chiang Mai, on the same basis as the rest of my trip to thailand, I had three weeks, no itinerary, no plan, and a guidebook. As a result, when I got off a train at the station I had no accomodation booked. A couple of english guys ended up talking to were saying they had booked this place and I went to check it out.

The reason the other guys had booked here was to go trekking as this it's specialist area, this again wasnt something I had even considered but the group was one short and the guys going were all about my age and english speaking so it seemed like a good enough idea.
As a single occupant the young lady straight up offered me a deal on a double and I managed to get a beautiful room, with air con and en-suite (toilet and perfectly acceptable shower) for 250 Baht if I recall which is about £5 per night. I have never slept so well in a hotel/hostel/whatever such a comfortable bed, really clean really tidy and very safe. Probably the most I paid for a room in Thailand but heaps better than any other I stayed in.
The hotel also had a restaurant/bar/casual area and I had breakfast here every morning as it was no more expensive than the surrounding restaurants and they were happy to put it onto 'the room' so I didn't have to faff about with actual money.
Probably spent 4 nights here, not including the night out camping, really enjoyed it nice city, great hostel, more like a hotel with hostel prices.

The only two things I would highlight as negatives were
1. the kitchen/bar area closed early (8-9??) and I had become quite accustomed to eating late in Thailand, would also have been nice to be able to socialise with a beer there in the evening.
2. On the actual camping trip pretty much everybody got sick, I don't know if it was from food or water but just about everybody got it. I suspect it's a very regular thing for westerners however. (It is however the only time i've ever been ill in SE asia in several trips)

The cleanest, friendliest and most comfortable 'hostel' I've stayed in in SE Asia and would reccomend it to anybody, not just the 20's backpacker groups but older couples also. Excellent value for money, a swimming pool would have been the icing on the cake (I could even see one from bathroom window)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2011

By far the friendliest guest house we have stayed in. There is an amazing atmosphere created by this caring and hospitable family. The guest house is efficiently run, kept clean and is truly value for money. We have stayed 9 days (including a trek) and wish we had the time to stay longer. Dao, you have been a gift to us, we value the times we spent chatting with you. Todo, you are an incredible tour guide. Memories of rafting, caving and riding elephants will live on forever and always with your laughter in the background. I recommend Libra to anyone staying in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The Libra guest house is a great place to stay. Dao, toto and pui are very friendly hosts and the rooms are absolutely fine. If you want luxury and depressing subservience you should find a 5 star hotel. But if you're looking for a friendly, busy home from home, to meet new people and get advice on great treks and cookery classes this is the place. I've looked back through some of the reviews here in disbelief. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion but Dao (who is the public face of the guest house) is not rude, or pushy. She has a great and irreverent sense of humour. Likewise toto's tours are relaxed, insightful and entertaining - he's not a professor of tribes people but he answered all of my questions about the tradition and culture of the Karin tribe just fine.  As
we left libra to continue our travels (in transportation to the airport that they provided) I felt a little sad to leave the place behind. I'm now waiting for the ferry at koh pagnhan and it's becoming apparent I might spend more in a day here than in my five days in Chiang Mai. Thank you for a great time libra!!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 6, 2011

they picked us up from airport, instantly i liked the girl who came to get us, they were so welcoming, never too busy to help us with anything, recommeded good places to go,and where not to go. it was so cheap there too, very good value for money. trekking was really good too. Honey-Bee was our guide, wicked bloke! definatly recommed staying there, and would go back.
Thanks Libra House for making our experience even better.
From Renee Sarah and Austen xx