“Perfectly nice and helpful staff”
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
Ranked #33 of 747 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Perfectly nice and helpful staff”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I contacted the hostel's staff several times regarding train tickets, a cooking course and POIs and was pleasantly surprised each time.
They offered me good advise and were helpful - what more could I have wished for?
I can recommend them wholeheartedly to every person looking for advice or fair deals.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Hilterfingen, Switzerland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is not the cheapest hostel, but the fan rooms are simple and ok for the price. You get cold water only in these rooms. I had first an aircon room as the fan rooms were fully booked. There aircon room was very comfy and clean with a table and a chair. There was a nice shower with hot water. After the first night I changed for the fan room with cold shower and no flushing toilets. But it was also clean and good value. Fan rooms are located more in the back and it is possbile to hear the nearby bars. WIFI is only available in the lobby (but it is for free). They do have a good tour operator (I booked the cooking class there and it was amazing!). Next door you can rent a scooter or bici and there are bars and restaurants close by. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Aircon rooms on the second floor are quieter!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Trieste
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

What should I say about Libra Guest House? ABUYA!
I had a wonderful time here, not only because of the clean and cheap and quiet room, not only because of the friendly staff, but also for the perfectly organized 2 days trekking I took part.

• Stayed February 2013
Cornwall
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here on arrival in Chaing Mai and returned again after a trip further north.
A family-run place, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. No sooner had we arrived than the teenage son, unasked, sat down with a map and circled the main sights in the city, offering advice about which were best, All the family spoke excellent English. Making bookings on the phone was easy and they remained welcoming and so helpful throughout our stay. They warned us that the boy who looks after the reception desk at night spoke very little English and we found that to be the case, although not a problem.
There is a range of rooms, some overlooking beautiful gardens with hammocks. Our first room was comfortable and clean but more basic. The second, somewhat grander and overlooked the garden. Both were more than adequate.
Breakfast was excellent, particularly the coffee, and served from 6 a.m. At short notice they made us a packed lunch for our train journey. It was reasonably priced and delicious. They also called a tuk-tuk to take us to the railway station and helped us with our luggage.
The Guest House is located in the back packer area of the old city and conveniently placed for sightseeing, shopping etc. I would strongly recommend it as a friendly, efficient, pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked 4 nights at Libra House when my go-to accommodations were fully booked due to the Chiang Mai Flower Festival going on the same weekend, as well as the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday. Let me preface this review by stating that I am a frequent traveler to Thailand and have stayed at a half dozen different guesthouses in Chiang Mai over the years.

Libra House is located in the NE corner of the Old City, known for its overabundance of backpacker accommodations, banana pancake breakfasts, and travel agencies booking the same tours to the elephant camps/river rafting/hilltribe villages.

PROS:
* Very friendly owner, extremely accommodating of her guests;
* Good location on Moon Muang, Soi 9;
* Libra House can quickly make travel arrangements (my travel companion wanted to visit Doi Suthep and Wat U Mong, which were arranged with less than 24 hours notice);
* Pleasant garden area;

CONS:
* Slightly grotty room & bathroom that could use some attention from housekeeping, and bed linens did not smell clean;
* Booked an aircon room, but the aircon did not work. Must not get used often as the batteries in the aircon remote were visibly corroded. Thankfully, a fan was sufficient;
* Libra House clearly states that theirs is *not* a party hostel; was given a room near the dormitory, which was occupied by several men who would arrive drunk and talk loudly. Had they not left the next day, I would have gotten the hell out of there.
* They have something like 70+ rooms, and often seem overwhelmed, especially at breakfast time.
* Some staff seem downright surly

Would I stay there again? Perhaps as a last resort, as was the case this time.

Room Tip: Some rooms are much better than others. Ask to see a few before making a commitment.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in early February 2013 and had an excellent stay. The guesthouse, located in the old city, is family run and all of the staff were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. We were picked up from the local airport by the family so that there was no hassle trying to negotiate with taxi drivers. The staff spoke good English and offered sound advice, also organising trips and activities for us.

There is an on site restaurant which is open most of the day and had a wide range of good food. Overall, Libra was a great place to stay, offering excellent value for money and we would recommend this guesthouse to anyone visiting Chiang Mai.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed here afew years ago and have been recommending it to all my friends who have travelled to Chiang Mai since, so its about time I write a review. The staff are wonderful especially the lady that is on the desk everyday. She booked all our trips and even our bus journey to Vietnam. She was always very helpful and honest. We felt like we were at home!

Libra is great value for money, the rooms are basic but clean, great location and we loved chilling out in the garden. If I am ever back in Chiang Mai...Libra is where I'll be staying.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
#28 of 747 in Chiang Mai
Tri Gong Residence
Tri Gong Residence
#123 of 747 in Chiang Mai

Been to Libra Guest House? Share your experiences!