“Ecletic”

Dusit D2 Chiang Mai
Ranked #27 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I booked this hotel, for four couples including my wife & I, based on the information from TA. We were not disappointed, the hotel has a 'quirk; about it that is attractive. It is difficult in such a short review to put ones finger on the 'quirk', but let's say it is eclectic. The staff are friendly and helpful. The service is very good without being in your face.
The breakfast is a comprehensive self serve system, with an eggs to order facility. My friends and I enjoyed our stay and appreciated that we were in the night market area without having to put up with any excess noise.
The tours that we booked from the hotel were the same price as the tour we booked last year direct with the tour operator. I expected the rate to be higher - what a pleasant surprise. I would use this hotel again if / when we return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geoff W
There are newer reviews for Dusit D2 Chiang Mai

Reviewed May 4, 2010

An excellent surprise. Definitely deserves its 5 stars.

Hotel is recent and rooms are very good (furnishing, LCD TV & DVD, good beds, clean, well maintained). Restaurant is good, breakfast buffet outstanding and the outdoor bar very well located.

Staff makes a big difference: very helpful, perfect English and very attentive to the customer needs.

Furthermore, this hotel is very conveniently located (close to the night market) and 15 minutes away from the airport.

A place to recommend. I will definitely go back to this hotel my next stay in North Thailand.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2010

The rooms were very nice and modern and the hotel decor was very modern. It is located next to the night bazzare and is a good place to stay but for Thailand it is expensive. There did not seems to be many people staying at the D2 but then there are not so many people visiting Chiang Mai because of the high baht! nice pool and spa.. but avid hanging out in reception as the bright yellow light canapy attracts hundreds of mosquitoes and the staff are very slow!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Tarvelsoup
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We went to Chaing Mai for the last day of Songkran (Buddhist New Year) celebrations. My wife and I never stayed in Dusit chain before and were somehow leery about this choice. It turned out to be an excellent hotel with perfect service. The location is very good for night market, restaurants, and massage places. A little bit longer walk (10-15min) to the old town, but there were no decent hotels closer anyway. The staff and service are amazing, we loved the restaurant at the hotel (used it for breakfast every day) and martini bar - you got to try their mohito :-)
We are quite picky (I’m Hilton Diamond VIP and our other hotels in Thailand were Shangri-La Bangkok and Sheraton Krabi Resort), but we would return to Disit if again in Chiang Mai. When in Chiang Mai, make sure to go to Doi Sithep (temple on the mountain), Tiger Kingdom, and Flight of the gibbon. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeMS
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We loved the look of the hotel, very modern and clean. We were picked up at airport, great shuttle, and greeted very warmly with welcome drinks upon arrival. We were upgraded to a suite and it was lovely. The bathtub was long enough for me to lay down in, and I'm 6 feet tall.
We had booked a day trip through the hotel but I had gotten sick the night before, so my husband got up at 6am to go down to ask the front desk to cancel our trip. They obliged without problem, and at 10am, they sent up tea and biscuits for me along with a message to get well soon. Seriously, I would never have thought someone on a hotel staff would consider doing something thoughtful like this. It was so sweet.
We loved the pool area, sort of rare it would seem in Chiang Mai. The hotel is in a great location near the Sunday Night Market (go to this market for sure, the standard nightly market right out front is NOT THE SAME).
The only drawback for us was that the restaurant served our least favorite food in all of Thailand, with few options. The breakfast buffet is expensive so if you're looking to save money, ask for no breakfast included and that will bring your price down. We skipped breakfast a lot of mornings so we wasted that money.
I would definitely stay here again if I was in Chiang Mai. Great experience, amazingly friendly staff, every single person. Thanks D2!

2  Thank karynmurph
Reviewed April 15, 2010

D2 was a very nice surprise when we arrived in Chiang Mai. This hotel is very modern and posh with every ammenity any traveller would need, at a very affordable price. The staff didn't waste any time making us feel very relaxed after a couple hectic days in Bangkok and they were very helpful in answering all our questions (they spoke english very well). D2 is in an ideal location situated right in the middle of the Kalare Night Bazaar with many restaurants only steps away. Loved it, I will definetely stay here again when I return to Chiang Mai in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

I've never written a hotel review before because I've never really cared to but I had to rave about the D2. I recently stayed at the Dusit D2 in Chiang Mai for four days as part of my honeymoon trip to Thailand and the hotel made our stay in Chiang Mai so incredible! The entire hotel staff, from the door guy to the concierge, were extremely helpful. We participated in many activities while there and the hotel helped coordinate every single aspect of our trip. I was blown away that the hotel even called ahead to every dinner reservation we had and told them we were on our honeymoon so we could receive special service. One restaurant put us in a private room and another restaurant even decorated our table with roses and gave us special service and a free desert courtesy of the hotel. Their attention to detail is superb and I would recommend the D2 to anyone traveling to Chiang Mai. It's amazing!

1  Thank CarolinaP616