“Very cool...very orange”

Ranked #28 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New York City, New York
“Very cool...very orange”
Reviewed March 15, 2009

This hotel was unique and very cool. They've done such a nice job decorating in orange that I no longer hate the color. We stayed for 3 days, and this was always a nice place to return to at the end of a day. For the most part, the servive was great. The few occasions where it wasn't might have been more due to a language barrier. My only complaint with this hotel is that some of their prices (spa, restaurant, internet, etc) are so much higher that what you can get if you just step outside of the hotel that it becomes a bit silly. It explains why there restaurant and bar always seem empty.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dragonlady15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2009

The D2 is advertised as a 5 star hotel and it is nothing less than that! From the moment you walk in you feel the hip vibe going on. I don't think the staff could have been more friendly and helpful in every way. Upon entering we were served cold, sweet tea and it tasted terrific! We were upgraded to a larger room and it was beautiful. Very cool, very colorful, very modern. The location of the D2 is fantastic and you can easily walk to many sites or shops or take a convenient taxi or tuk-tuk. As part of our room, we were eligible to attend the happy/social hour on the 7th floor. It was great. Great snack food and a decent selection of both alcoholic and non-alcolic drinks. The breakfast buffet was some of the best food I had in Thailand. There were all kinds of fresh fruit and juices and if you wanted western style eggs.
The next time I am in Chiang Mai, I will definitely stay here and recommend everyone else to do the same. A wonderful experience!!

1 Thank Northwoods_Legend
Seattle
Reviewed March 7, 2009

This hotel was great in terms of location and service. Right next to the night bazaar and tons of great food stalls around. Don't miss the mango and sticky rice in the night bazaar! The hotel was clean and very contemporary. They provided a lot of nice touches like a special "treat in the box" every day and turn down service. The fitness center was excellent. Our only complaints were the small TV (size of a computer screen), weak air-conditioning (seemed like it was automatically turned down at night), and small pool. The service is great though and the front desk staff is wonderful.

1 Thank JGCSeattle
London
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Loved this hotel! Very trendy and modern with a great location right in the middle of chiang mai close to the market!
It had all the feelings of a hotel in Miami not Thailand so thought the mix was brilliant! They were really helpful and sorted out trekking for us and stored all our extra bags!
If you like your mod cons on holiday this is the one especially after a trek!

Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rogerbradley100
BKKSKMVT
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at D2 from 20 Feb. till 23 Feb. and let me tell you that it is not that amazing thing at all. I am sorry to disagree with everybody who stayed there but it is not that special place at all and you will see why.

1. My resevatin was messed up and thank God I printed the hotel's confinrmation and handed it over to the staff member. Yes I did so many changes to my reservation before I got there but I had a confirmation from the hotel. Why would they mess it up?

2. I was staying at a studio, I was handed the keys and shown to my room. I was also handed a paper which explains the benifits I would be getting with the room. It was not mine. No one paid attention the my last name and another customer's last name. They just went with the last initials and handed it over to me. Of course they handed the wrong one to other person. Talk about paying personal attention to the cusotmers.

3. The best part about this stay was the room. Oh man that studio was amazing. It was big, clean, sufficient and just at a place of its own.

4. The worst thing about this hotel was their staff. They are most arrogant hotel staff I have ever met. I only had a couple of nice interactions with them when I had dinner one night and the other when I asked one of the trainers to spot me. Of course she ran away once I got done with my exercise.
A. They need to smile. Alot of the staff members did not know how to smile. Did anyone forse them to work there?
B. When I was asked for my morning dring, my gilrfriend, who happens to be a local, was just brushed off and not even thought of as person. Not all locals are escorts, that is what I told the Guru when I was leaving the hotel. I had to make sure that they asked her before they left her dumb founded. Is that mean or what?
C. The staff at the F&B venue were so friendly to the other customers from other regions of the owrld. They had small talk. chit chats. YOu name it but I was, I think the most intimidating person in that hotel and those people just thought less of me.
D. The staff the fitness center were just sitting at the reception desk. I was the only person in there once and the trainer just did not mind. He even went on to watch a show on the monitor of the bike. Thats a great personla attention, right? By the way, there is also a reception desk inside the gym but no one was sitting at it. I was handed a towel and headphones when I walked in the first tme but that is it. Evrybody just ran away and had other things to do.
F. The grand finally. Nobody asked me how my stay was or if I would be comming back again to stay at the hotel. These are very customary questions but I just didnt matter to the hotel. I am only one guest, what damage could I do to them.

I have brought up the staff issues to the Guru as I was getting out. I have even filled out both the survery that was left in my room and teh online one that was sent tome but no one seems to care. Ther were no actions taken. You shoud see what the Park Plaza Hotel-Sukumvit did when I raised some issues with them. Oh well. You live and learn and in this situation I know I should have just IGNORED the staff.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in a junior suite and felt like royalty the entire stay. From the moment we walked in, we were whisked away to a private floor for check in and immediately served drinks and food! The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and helpful -- the best service we had ever on a trip. Their hotel restaurant, Moxie, had incredible brunch in the morning -- once again, the best we had and their dinner was out of this world. I would stay here again -- I wish I could stay at this hotel whenever I travel all over the world!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shruza
Sydney
Reviewed January 31, 2009

The D2 Chiang Mai is quite simply the most amazing hotel that we have ever had the opportunity to stay in. Situated just steps from the Chiang Mai night market bazzare, location is amazing!
On arrival we are greated by staff who are not only prepared and aware of our arrival, but greet us by our name. Ushered to the funky lounge area we are offered cold refreshements and given the chance to take a long awaited rest.

The hotel staff are by far more polite, responsive and attentive than just about any personnel we have ever dealt with. They are ready to help without being over the top. They are polite and pleasant without being obtrusive or overbearing. They by far made the stay at the D2 , or any other hotel we have stayed at very special and the best part of our honeymoon was experienced here.

Location is perfect, in the heart of beautiful Chiang Mai city, the hotel is situtated within walking distance of all Chiang Mai city's tourist hubs such as the night bizzare, canals, city walls, local night markets, inner city and river side restaurants. Surrounding the hotel are numerous temples and amazing views.

On arrival we were immediately upgraded to the hotels best room of which had a massive bedroom, lounge room and a gorgeous bathroom with a 2 person bath tub and shower. The rooms are very new and really really clean. It appears that the hotel is either very new (only 2 years old max) or was recently renovated. The pool area is beautiful and the bar and restaurant is amazing. COCKTAILS ARE PERFECT and very very well priced.

The staff in particular are the best overall. They had made us feel like we were their friends and paid attention to every aspect of our stay. Each morning for breakfast the staff remembered our names and the type of coffee we liked and arranged a coffee ready for our table every day. After each day out there was a gift of either biscuits of fruit in our room and loads of bottled water so that we didnt have to buy water the whole time.

The bar area both inside and outside the hotel was amazing and on certain nights there was free tapas or half price cocktails or some other incentive. The restaurant food was 100% perfect and while on the more pricey side, well worth the experience. It was food that totally surpassed our expectation. The outdoor bar area is really quiet and very romantic with candles on every table and while close to the main road, there is no noise and the road near the hotel is so quiet you are never interrupted by traffic.

This is definitly a 5 star luxury hotel that will totally suprise you in every aspect. I highly recommend this hotel to couples and families as all the ammenities are close by and the hotel staff are only too pleased to assist with any request what-so-ever.
100% PERFECTION. This is the best hotel that we have stayed in, to date, in the world. Attention to detail is paramount. A+

• Liked — Food, cocktails, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank newlyweds77