“Excellent hotel, cannot rate highly enough!”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed at The Chedi for 3 nights as the second part of our three centre honeymoon and cannot really do the hotel justice in this review. We're used to four star plus hotels, and this was without doubt the best hotel either of us has stayed in. Every single member of staff without exception had excellent English,a friendly smile for us and was immediately at our side if we so much as looked as though we had a question, but not in our faces by any stretch of the imagination. We were greeted with tea and cold towels and before we'd finished checking in the Manager had come over to personally welcome us, congratulate us on our Honeymoon and make it clear that he would be available for anything we needed. The hotel itself is very modern in design and spacious, airy and light. The lobby is beautiful as are the rest of the grounds, the pool, the bar etc. The rooms are very large and spacious with the bath area opening up into the room if you desire, and so much storage. Our room had a balcony with a double day bed, and table and chair, along with citronella candle, as the hotel sits on the river front, so inievitably there are a few mosiqitoes around but that's to be expected, and they provide bug spray and a fresh plug-in tablet for the roomeach day. The terrace bar upstairs is quite small but this adds to it's character, and has brillaint views. Breakfast outside by the river was amazing, but seating inside is also available, A wide choice of cold buffet, breads, pastries etc. is avaialble and hot food cooked to order, with excellent personal service at all times. The best poached eggs we've ever had!

In short, if you get the opportunity - go, you won't regret it!
Thank you so much to Patrick and his team for making this leg of our honeymoon such a memorable experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LandCBerks_

Reviewed March 14, 2010

My wife & I stayed for 10 nights at the Chedi in Feb-Mar 2010. As previous contributors have said it was a serene place with exceptional service. The room was big enough with a balcony with a daybed. Breakfast was the usual continental with an additional hot menu with Western & Eastern options (we had breakfast included). The blackout motorised blids meant that sleep was peacful. Free WIFI was available in the room and in the lobby, they even provided laptops if needed. Complimentary water daily and milk were also a nice touch.
The location was great, only 5 minutes walk from the night market area. A tuktuk (motorised rickshaw) could take you anywhere into central Chiang Mai for upto 100 baht.
Overall we were very impressed with the hotel- an oasis in this bustling city. A few minor gripes. 1. Price for eating in the restaurant, very expensive (we ate out most nights, great choice). 2. Very expensive spa, again we used spas in the town, there is a reasonably priced Spa de Siam 300 metres from the Chedi (turn right out of the hotel), or a cheaper place opposite Spa de Siam called Ninas. 3. 26 inch TV is poor when everything else in the hotel & rooms is of such high quality.

1  Thank nit2202
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My partner and I spent 7 nights at the Chedi after staying in Bangkok for 3 nights.. We were a little apprehensive about staying somewhere so quiet ( as explained in guides)

Needless to say we more than surprised by the ambience of the hotel & the fact that it was so oppulent we were afraid to speak and found ourselves drinking in the surroundings especially after the flight from Bankok, which even though only an hour and not a horrendous flight it was a welcoming surprise...

From walking into the building , which is totally open plan no doors to keep out strangers, but worry not the situation of the hotel is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Chiang Mai town to feel like you are in an oasis....

As we entered the lobby we were greeted by Patrick the manager who was closely followed by a waiter with cold flannels and a refreshing cold water spiked with lemongrass and lime, totally sublime and to become the norm throughout our stay at the hotel.

The only thing which spolied the initial experience of entering the hotel was the rep which accompanied us from the airport (although nothing to do with the hotel I must add), he was very knowledgeable but a little annoying as he didn't stop from the time we got into the lovely air conditioned bus til we arrived and even then he accompanied us into the lobby, while Patrick introduced himself( HM) we were stuck with him trying to sell us excursions.....Beware if you want to do any excursions then don't use the guys who escort you from the airport, lovely as they are, and believe me YOU will feel guilty about saying NO as they are so friendly, but I promise you they are OVERPRICED at least £15 more than if you walk out of the hotel and go to the Fish Spa, which is situated about 10 mins from hotel. Go left out of Chedi and turn right into next street, walk for about 10mins (slow walking, I was on crutches at time,not injury sustained in Thailand I might add) It is the first fish spa you come across and you could possibly miss it if you blink, it looks a little grotty from outside (its not by the way) , but believe me the proprieters are soooo friendly and definately up for a bit of bartering (get a few prices first to compare). They are a few fish spas in Chiang Mai but this is one of the best, plus you MUST try the fish spa itself, put your feet into a tank of tiny little nibbling fish, very tickly at first but most therapeutic, especially as I had broken foot with removable cast, GREAT!!!!!

Back to the hotel, the room was totally lovely, It had an open plan bathroom but with a wooden screen which thick enough to hide any embarrasment (dicky tummy, which were few and far between) We did unfortunately have 2 large single beds pushed together, even though we asked for a double, but to be honest this really made no odds as the room and surroundings more than made up for this... We were lucky enough to have a room which looked out onto the river and part of the pool, I can imagine some of the rooms looking out over the main lobby or other rooms would'nt have been so great but even so the surroundings were so peacefull and tranquill that I don't think it would really matter.

We met a few people who had superior suites but from the prices they paid I don't think we missed much. We stayed B&B and the breakfast was second to none, if you like eggs benedict, omellette, scrambled, poached,fried or boiled then the Chedi can do no wrong ( bacon and rosti potatoes also included). They also offer a superb continental breakfast with juices( all freshly squeezed ) cereal, yoghurts a variety of breads and also many noodle dishes. I can honestly say that my partner and I have never eaten sooo much at breakfast, it was that good..... Plus the view over the river is also an added bonus as the restaurant is overlooking the river Ping, not the cleanest looking of rivers but again the tranquility of the place is astounding...the restaurant is flanked by a wall of what can only be described as an aztec carved stone wall which has water dripping down it making the whole experience even more serene .

We ate at the hotel restaurant on one evening and it was fantastic, if your used to eating at 5* hotels then this will well exceed your expectations and in my mind very reasonable if compared to a high class restaurant in the UK, We had 2 courses inluding a bottle of wine and 3 beers for about £70, I have spent far more in the uk and got far less, the attention to detail and level of service is fantastic.

Snacks by the pool are very good and the pool attendants/waiters are extremely attentive... cold flannels scented with lemongrass are given as soon as you sit at your lounger and cold water which is topped up continually throughout the day also each lounger has 2 very large towels, you even get an iced melon on sticks half way through the day to cool you down . When we first arrived the hotel was pretty empty and there are not many sun loungers which I though may be a problem..... but by the end of our stay the hotel was fully booked and there were no problems getting a lounger even at 11am.. What can I say this place is paradise lost, just hope it stays this way.

There is a lounge bar above the restaurant which we frequented on most nights, expect to pay £4 for a small glass of wine, again the atmosphere is serene with candles lighting the way and the most attentive staff I've ever encountered, the prices for food and drinks are extremely reasonable compared to UK for the same class of establishment and service...

The surrounding area of Chiang Mai does not compare to the 5*ness of this amazing hotel but having been to Thailand on many occasions including backpacking in my teens for 3 months Chiang Mai is very laid back with lots to do and see if you are prepared to rough it a bit, would highly recommend the cookery course with Yui at www.alotofthai.com she takes you to her home kitchen geared up for 8 students for a day cookery course. I am still cooking recipes from the booklet I got she really is amazing. Elephant sanctuary a little cruel but worth a visit. Definately venture into the night market opposite the hotel for amazing seafood in one of the outdoor restaurants there for about £10 you can have 5-6 courses including 4 beers. Happy holidays

The most amazing place I have stayed, I am pretty fussy about were I go and have stayed in 5* on the european and australian continents and this place far exceeds every expectation......

Can't wait to go back...

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oo7flanker
Reviewed March 3, 2010

The best living experience in a long time. Superb management at all levels. Stunning architecture and superb comfort level in the suite i occupied. The Chedi Club was managed and staffed by the best i have experienced in any five star hotel in the US, UK, Spain, Switzerland and Germany. The breakfast was fit for a prince and the area of service was most congenial, the service highly personalized and prompt. The ambiance all over was tranquil, pleasing and a feeling of being at home- without a nagging spouse. The only minus was the restaurant in the hotel serving Thai/Indian cuisine. The menu was extremely limited, unimaginative, all food smelt heavily of turmeric and other Indian spices; the female waitresses were terse,slow and unpleasant-amazingly contrary to the rest of the hotel. It was highly priced for the quality and service. The Spa was very attractive and ambiance good but too clinical and anti-septic. Customer given long shorts to wear during massage.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This is really a 3.5-star review. The Chedi is, unquestionably, a beautifully designed hotel. Modern, Dwell-style hotels are in such abundance these days that they can leave me feeling cold (been there, done that), particularly in destinations where they're so out of sync that it can seem unsettling. But the Chedi layout is very tasteful and, significantly, is anchored by a gorgeous central building that houses the bar and restaurant, which gives the entire premises its soul. (I assume it's a refurbished original structure given that this is the former British consulate - that building is very British colonial.) I typically like a more local flavor but the rate was good, we wanted to be in the city, and the reviews seem off the charts. Design of public areas won't disappoint.

Location: For this visit to Chiang Mai, we wanted to be within walking distance to night market and some of the river restaurants/nightlife so it made sense. Really consider what you want, though. While the place is described by many as "an oasis of calm" in the city, that "oasis" came with continued construction next door during our stay. And, make no mistake: you WILL hear the streets and honking late and early. (If an event is going on in the restaurant, you will also hear that noise, which we did as our room was directly across from it.) Plan accordingly. Fun to be in town, but I can also see the merit to staying at Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons slightly North if you're in for the 5-star thing. It's lovely up there with plenty to do (about 20 minutes by my count) and easy to get into town for dining/shopping.

Rooms: The Club Suites are extremely spacious and lovely. The extras that come with it are truly excellent if you can get them: mini-bar included, breakfast, club lounge cocktails, laundry, etc. I have never complained about an open-concept bathroom. But this one is a little strange. I must say: get the caulk out or do something about the water from shower. Design over function flaw #1: if you shower and would like to use the restroom later, hopefully you won't mind that the entire bathroom floor has become a puddle you need to wade through until housekeeping arrives. Really rather silly - we went through this exercise twice daily whenever anyone showered. Some of the fixtures were loose and the wood is warping, as well. Might be time for a tune-up.

Service: I'm going to start with my chief complaint, which was the Club Level concierge. It does speak to management of the overall property when the person designated to be the Suite patrons' go-to person is surly and downright haughty but, even worse, unable to assist you with basic questions/suggestions. It really did impact the spirit of our day each time we encountered her. Since we live in Thailand, I can assure you this is not a cultural issue - outside of Chanel and Bottega Veneta boutiques at the Paragon in Bangkok, the concept of haughty Thai is an oxymoron. Most of the staff was wonderful so this woman stood out. Since I saw her unsmiling, unhelpful manner with others (with another set of gentlemen actually laughing at how unpleasant their exchange was), I know it wasn't just about us. At some point, you really wonder if it's an affectation like one encounters at a cosmetics counter - I am working at a "cool" hotel with at-times rude and demanding guests so this is my new persona? Note to GM: there were more qualified, helpful, and simply lovely folks working that lounge. You can and should do better.

Food: Sorry, I wanted to love the food. The restaurant is such a lovely setting - blink and you might think you're on the banks of the Seine. So romantic. But the food is subpar and we tried Western, Thai, Indian, and the mostly underwhelming breakfasts several times. I don't like to quibble over the baht I spend on food, but the prices really are outrageous and not commensurate with quality - the most expensive meal without wine I've personally spent in Thailand and we eat quite well here, thank you. Also no fun when a large tour group came through - the staff obviously couldn't handle the crowd, become disoriented, and the small buffet was grazed through quickly and made wholly unappealing. The Chedi could learn from Asara, Anantara, Four Seasons, even Trader Vic's, and any other places we've enjoyed amazing breakfasts, by the way. The worst bacon we've had, e.g., and Thailand has wonderful bacon!

All in all, I think we wouldn't return except to have a drink at the bar. Pool and grounds and lobby are lovely, but service is ultimately what enhances one's stay, brings it to the next level, and is what you will remember (and maybe an incredible dining experience) - design only goes so far. If we had paid rack rate, we would have been miserable and annoyed, sadly.

1  Thank kartwoman
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The location is outstanding, the rooms are beautiful, very nice decoration and the space itself takes you directly to another peaceful dimension. The best hotel I've ever stayed in my life.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The hotels I usually stayed in are 5 star & Boutique, but most are just good but not outstanding. However, The Chedi CM left such an impression that I felt I have to give them the credit where it's due.

I came after staying in Le Meridien CM (as The Chedi was running full occupancy and I had arrived 1 day earlier than my booking - you may see my review about Le Meridien separately).

Patrick, the GM, personally welcomed my husband and I after we had finished our check-in formality. Front desk staff accompanied us to our room and explained the room's amenities in details and left us alone to enjoy our stay. Wifi is provided free of charge throughout the hotel.

Room is ultra clean, beautifully set up, a little dim but it did create a very romantic atmosphere with a mild delicate scent throughout our stay. As other reviewers had mentioned, TV is on the small side but why do you need the TV when you are staying in The Chedi.

Room came with remote controlled roller blinds (black-out blind) over meshed roller blind. The temperature in room was always perfect. I asked for ice to be brought to the room once and housekeeping never fail to remember that I love water over ice & they always replenish the bucket after they had cleaned the room or during turn down service.

The hotel felt quiet and peaceful during my stay. Even though the hotel was running full occupancy, we never felt it was crowded. Breakfast was served at the restaurant along the river, ala-carte style. You choose the hot dishes from menu while cold dishes, cereals, bread, fruits and juices are spread over the counter. Coffee came in plunger. Although the choices were not plenty, options were adequate for most palates. They even served me items not from menu & I personally like it a lot as the food arrived freshly cooked and not soaked in oil or overly steam as in the case of buffet style hot food that always look horrible and tasted worst. Again the wait staff remembered my peculiar liking of glass full of ice & never fail to served me without asking.

We had dinner at the restaurant one night & found the food to be very good. I am in the consultancy business and most of my clients are F&B companies so I would dare say both my husband and myself are well exposed to good quality food (note that we came from Singapore where good quality food is aplenty). The proportion is more than sufficient, presentation is well laid out, food served hot. The charges are reasonable for overall and the ambience is once again spot on.

I always read reviewers complaining about food being too expensive, but that's probably they had ordered the wrong dish or comparing it against run of the mill chop shop. If you make a review, you should be fair and compare apple to apple. The Chedi CM is in Asia so expect serving to be of smaller portion. But if you had eaten in real 5 star eatery or Michelin star restaurant, it is always small in portion, good in presentation and taste that lingers. No doubt that you can find meal under 30 THB in most parts of Thailand but why stay in Chedi & expect anything lesser. I am Asian & I knew what I need to order from Asian Menu to strike the right balance in quantity and quality. Many times I see Caucasian ordering the wrong kind of food and it always shows on their face that they regretted the order. We ordered a duck curry, soft shell crab and honey pork ribs to go with rice and both my husband & I felt that what we paid for is well worth it.

I had ordered a car through the hotel for 300 THB an hour to bring us around. English speaking driver was provided and brought us to where we wanted to visit and not some touristy souvenir shop or stores where they earned a couple more bucks for bringing tourist. Cold lemongrass scented towels were provided everytime we returned to the car. I did a check with another taxi driver who charges 1500 THB for a 8 hours service but was convinced that the slight difference in pricing make up for the service from the driver & his ability to understand our itineraries.

There is a laundry shop just outside the hotel. 50 THB for wash or 70 THB for wash & iron (all per kilogram). Service was prompt and clothes came back smelling fresh and well ironed. The hotel is also very well located within walking distance to the night market. You can cut through the carpark to access the night bazaar that has plenty of shopping and food.

Overall, if you are willing to pay a little more compared to the locally-run resort / spa / hotel, The Chedi is a very safe bet and I believe what you get back in return is something money can't buy. Well done to Patrick, Sunet and the whole crew and thank you for such
a memorable experience.